Routing issues - NAT/RRAS/Port forwarding

Ok, this is my first post here so please be gentle! I've found some great answers in these forums before so I'm hoping that I can do the same here.

I'm experimenting at home and have the following setup which is (almost) working:

Internet

|

|

Netgear DG834 router-------2 other Workstations

|

|

Windows 2K3 DC

?

?

Wireless laptop

Apologies for the poor diagram but I am at work at the moment!

The IP setup is as follows:

Netgear DG834:

WAN port gets it's IP automatically from my ISP

Router's IP is 192.168.1.1

NAT enabled, DHCP disabled

Static route: 10.0.0.0/8 GW 192.168.1.2

Windows 2k3 DC:

NIC1 (Wired) - connected to LAN port 1 on router

IP: 192.168.1.2 (static)

GW: 192.168.1.1

NIC2 (Wireless) - ad-hoc connection to Wireless laptop

IP: 10.0.0.1 (static)

GW: not set

This server is my DC, DNS, DHCP and RRAS server all at once.

Linux:

IP: 192.168.1.10 (DHCP reservation)

DNS: 192.168.1.2

Laptop:

IP: 10.0.0.3 (DHCP reservation)

DNS: 192.168.1.2

GW: 10.0.0.1

I think that covers it. Now...everything works, all machines can see each other and the workstations can access the internet. But, I'd like to be able to port forward to the laptop but can't figure out how to go about it. I can't set the forwarding up on the router as they are on a different network and if I enable NAT on the Windows 2k3 machine I'll be double NAT-ing.

I've tried enabling NAT in RRAS, the wired network can't see the wireless one - but the wireless can see the wired!:blink:k: I think this must the double NAT problem.

My question is, should I disable the NAT on the router connected to the internet and have my RRAS server doing the NAT? In which case, would I need static routes setting up on the machines/RRAS? I'm confused.

Not understanding why you would setup it up like that? Except for practice in routing?

If you want to be able forward ports from the internet from your nat router to your laptop that is wireless. Then just bridge your wired to wireless connection on the 2k3 box. Now the laptop will be on the same network as the nat routers private side and you can forward traffic to it.

Yeah, it's a bit of a home learning project - but I'm always fiddling and trying to find the best way to do things. i've learnt a little about static routing because of this.

So the best setup would simply be, remove RRAS and bridge the 2 NICs in 2k3 right? Would this have any affect on the DNS or DHCP side of things?

No it would not have any effect on your other services -- they would now be available on the wireless as well.

Ok then, I'll try that tonight. One last question before I do it (and this may sound daft but)....would I be keeping the IP's the same ie the laptop would still be 10.0.0.3, the 2k3 server would have 2 NICs with 192.168.1.2 and 10.0.0.1?

Apologies if this sounds like a really simple question but this is my first attempt. Thanks for all your help

And what part of "the laptop will be on the same network as the nat routers private side" did you not get??

No you would not be keeping the 10.x.x.x addresses ;)

Ok, now i'm even more confused. I've disabled RRAS and bridged the wireless and wired cards in the 2k3 server...all good.

I've configured the bridge with the following:

IP: 192.168.1.2

SN: 255.255.255.0

I've also created a reservation in DHCP for the wireless laptop with the following:

IP: 192.168.1.4

SN: 255.255.255.0

GW: 192.168.1.2

The laptop connects to the wireless and gets all the correct settings from DHCP....only thing is, I can't ping it from the server or the router and I can't ping the server when on the laptop.....what have I done wrong?

Cheers

Not to worry....I managed to sort it! Turns out I had to put the wireless card on the 2k3 server into compatibility mode....by doing the following

1) Open a command prompt and type "netsh bridge show adapter"

2) Now type "netsh bridge set # forcecompatmode=enable" where # is the number of the wireless card from the previous step.

I can now see everything again.

Thanks for the help :)

Why would you think the laptops gateway is 192.168.1.2 ???

Your router is your gateway for you network 192.168.1.1

edit: and yes bridging wireless quite often requires that compat mode ;)