.kkreiger 96kb FPS!

Reacon

Ok, I was searching the web today for FPS games and I came across this little (REALLY little) game called .kkreiger

This game is a fully functional FPS (minus the sound) with aliens, guns, and special effects all in 96 kilobytes! Apparently it won the 2004 96k awards or something, but the sheer SIZE of this game is mind boggling to me. This game looks more impressive than the Quake 3 engine and somehow it is only the size of what would be a picture, today.

How could something like this possibly work!? I would do anything to get my hands on the source.

Sorry if this is old news, but it's new to me.

soothsayer

Yeah, it's been around for a while. But thanks for reminding me of it. :)

qdave
timeline.jpg

that sums it up :D

i remember when i first heard of it..was pretty amazing.

strangely no one uses Procedural generation :( would be quite a space saver.

Pupik

Damn, this is old. Remember I ran this for the first time with 9600XT, back in 2004 or so.

+John.

Old, but always worth a reminder for some people.

alphaomegainfinity

Yeah I played it last year. Kudos to the team who made it.Maybe current game developers should learn something from them.

Smigit
strangely no one uses Procedural generation :( would be quite a space saver.
Well really space isn't an issue, at least not as far as games are concerned. Even the really large ones are maybe 20 or so gigs when extracted and pale in comparison to the size of HD's on the market. Cheapest drive I'd even consider buying now would be a 640GB one. The only games really pushing huge sizes I imagine are the larger MMORPG's and even they are dwarfed by currently available HD's.
PricklyPoo

Well imo, processing power is more expensive and more important than saving space.

So I never thought this would be successful.

darren89

wow, this is the smallest FPS game i've ever seen! :D

thanks for the news recon415!

M4nB3arP1g

I have never heard of this before. Its amazing how small it is, with graphics it has.

Dotdot

Thnx for reminding me of this forgot its name and been looking for it for a while. Deff a welcome repost

+shift.

That's nuts. One would expect a game of this caliber would require at least 400MB.

White Cuban

wtf how

Smigit
That's nuts. One would expect a game of this caliber would require at least 400MB.

Wikopedia or something I read had a quote that it would be around that much if they made the game in a traditional fashion.

wtf how

I'm not technically savvy on this topic, but it has something to do with art assets and audio ect being generated by the game at runtime rather than the game storing dozens or hundreds of images already there in some images directory. By using smart routines I think you can in code generate all the art ect and it turns out space wise to be very efficient which at the same time very CPU inefficient. I believe thats whats happening here in a very simplistic view of it.

I've heard of another game or two doing it. Hell that XBLA game that used the Unreal 3 engine I believe had procedurally generated textures to allow it to fit within MS's maximum size restraints for live games which at the time were a lot lower than they are now.

AbandonedTrolley

Yup old news, but as mentioned cool to watch for people that have never seen it before. There are a lot of great 'Tech demos' out there with coders showing off their skills :)

georgevella
Wikopedia or something I read had a quote that it would be around that much if they made the game in a traditional fashion.

I'm not technically savvy on this topic, but it has something to do with art assets and audio ect being generated by the game at runtime rather than the game storing dozens or hundreds of images already there in some images directory. By using smart routines I think you can in code generate all the art ect and it turns out space wise to be very efficient which at the same time very CPU inefficient. I believe thats whats happening here in a very simplistic view of it.

I've heard of another game or two doing it. Hell that XBLA game that used the Unreal 3 engine I believe had procedurally generated textures to allow it to fit within MS's maximum size restraints for live games which at the time were a lot lower than they are now.

spore is another game that uses such techniques ...

Skulltrail-old

Wow. "97,280 bytes." I'm appalled.

EDIT: Just learned Spore uses procedural generation. :drool:

Ci7
spore is another game that uses such techniques ...

mybe that why it need caches ...i have set 2GB for caches

Jeroen VDB
wtf how

Instead of storing the actual images in the files, they store the command it takes to create them. Like the contents of a file could be (create 512x512, gradient gray->black top->bottom, noise) which would create a (cheap) wall-like texture.

Most games don't do this, because all those commands have to be executed while the game is loading, which would create immense loading times.