Firmware upgrade for Bell BlackBerry 8330 to v. 4.5

FYI: I had to restart my BB a couple times and re-send the Service Books to get everything to work (such as HTML emails). Also, emails sent before the upgrade don't seem to render as HTML (even if they were HTML).

I picked up the update about a week ago and it didn't seem to add the HTML reading ability as advertised by other users of this upgrade. But, I figure that is in part due to my carrier's restrictions. (USCellular).

Be forewarned, make sure you have everything backed up that you want as well. It will effectively WIPE your phone to just your basic phone freshly programmed after purchase. Your phone number will be intact, but that is about it.

It takes about 1 hour to program as well at least for the Pearl. For extra safety, I removed my media card to play it safe.

I picked up the update about a week ago and it didn't seem to add the HTML reading ability as advertised by other users of this upgrade. But, I figure that is in part due to my carrier's restrictions. (USCellular).

Be forewarned, make sure you have everything backed up that you want as well. It will effectively WIPE your phone to just your basic phone freshly programmed after purchase. Your phone number will be intact, but that is about it.

It takes about 1 hour to program as well at least for the Pearl. For extra safety, I removed my media card to play it safe.

Did you notice any other changes, speed ups, etc? Guess I should probably take a look at the change log.

Speed ups not really. But then again, I am about to toss my pearl out the window for good. The trackball on that thing just drives me nuts. One thing I did notice is that it does have a better gui in some areas, but nothing too big. I have noticed that the memory doesn't drop as much as it used to and the "leak" that is known for memory on these things isn't as bad.

The main thing that I was hoping for was the HTML mail capability. Of course, that didn't happen on my end unless I haven't installed everything yet. (I loved having the choice of pick/choose what I wanted this time around. ).

Oh yeah, one change I noticed is on the Status page, it no longer shows total memory. That I thought was a bit odd.

BTW, I am using their version of 4.5.0.66. Not the newest one but still an upgrade.

Not a complete change log but this is what I quickly pulled from the net...

Blackberry 4.5 OS Key Changes:

* SpellCheck

* Improved maps

* Voice Notes

* Upgraded Media Player

* Bluetooth Stereo Music

* HTML Email

* Over the air device upgrades (Enterprise Customers)

Here is the one available for me (Alltel):

Software For BlackBerry? Pearl 8130 smartphone

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.122 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.5.0.122

Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.5.0.89

* Software Platform: 3.2.0.52

* File name: 8130uAMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel122_PL3.2.0.52_A4.5.0.89_AllTel.exe

* File size: 72.94MB

Would that be the newest one this article is referring too? It is kind of weird that HTML email was included in the change log yet you didn't receive it when you upgraded. I'll be upgrading mine pretty soon here (within the hour).

Don't need to wipe your device first.

Also, I did not lose any of my e-mails and sms messages. If you back up before hand you can get everything back on except for pictures (for some reason, so back those up separately)

Yes I got everything back to working. A couple of things I noticed right away were there is now one extra icon on the main dash with the default zen theme (the one I use). When I tried to use a picture of my computer to make my background, they changed something so you don't have the option to "fill screen" anymore. I would fill screen and then set it as my background.

In the options, there is a new thing called MMS.

Anything cool or useful you guys have found?

edit: So no HTML Email then?

HTML email only works if your email provider supports it. That is, if you're running the latest BIS or BES and the admin must have it enabled.

Some people have also had to remove the email servicebook(s) so that their carrier can push them back into their devices.

OT: I now have more RAM available, but I'm still leaking memory like crazy. It could be Viigo 3 Beta though.