How to make removable drive permanent shared

Hi

I set an usb flash stick to be shared in lan, but if i disconnect it (through safe remove) and restart the machine, when i put it back in pc it is no longer shared.

I need this stick to be shared, every time i connect it to pc.

Is there a way to tell windows (XPP), that i need this drive letter (say F:) to be always shared (if it exists).

Thanks a lot

Hello, what you need to do is plug it in and share it, then open a folder like My Computer and do the following.

Tools > Map Network Drive.

Select a drive letter and make sure "reconnect at logon" is selected.

have a butchers at that.

Mine always works when I plug in my external hdd, and thats the lines I followed. (i think)

Two ideas (sorry, I haven't tried these yet):

1. Try mounting the drive in an empty NTFS folder. Goto Computer Management with the USB drive in, right-click the drive, select Change Drive Letter and Paths for X: (USB), and click "Add." This will allow you to mount the drive in say C:\MySharedFolder\USB_Stick or something and it should re-mount to that folder when reconnected.

2. I think there is a way to create a share using the Command Prompt. I couldn't find any references with a quick google. If it is possible, you could create a batch file to create the share and then have it run as part of the autorun sequence.

I think you would have to share the folder that contained the mount point, but you may be able to just share the mount point. You can try it. Create a folder C:\USB_Stick, share the folder, then from computer management of your disk drives mount the usb stick to that folder.

Those 8 stars are not for nothing. :)

Sharing that folder made the trick. (Y)

..but you may be able to just share the mount point.

do you by "mount point" mean the usb drive? If so, that doesn't work, because the drive keeps losing its share after restart.

Thanks

Oops, when it came to the real world (LAN), not working so well (actually at all).

When i (from another pc) try to access the shared folder to which my usb drive has been mounted, i get:

\\User\sharename\ is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.

Contact the administrator ....

Access is denied

That doesn't smell very good to me.

All computers have SFS enabled, so i probably have to disable it on all of them, and create a bunch of additional accounts (one FOR each pc in the lan, ON each pc in the lan :bounce: ) to assign access permissions.

If there are no ideas on how to circumvent this issue, i'd rather give it all up.

Thanks

Oops, when it came to the real world (LAN), not working so well (actually at all).

When i (from another pc) try to access the shared folder to which my usb drive has been mounted, i get:

\\User\sharename\ is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.

Contact the administrator ....

Access is denied

That doesn't smell very good to me.

All computers have SFS enabled, so i probably have to disable it on all of them, and create a bunch of additional accounts (one FOR each pc in the lan, ON each pc in the lan :bounce: ) to assign access permissions.

If there are no ideas on how to circumvent this issue, i'd rather give it all up.

Thanks

Can you access the system share on the stick? (\\computername\f$)

• 4 years later...

Can you access the system share on the stick? (\\computername\f$)

Hi

I set an usb flash stick to be shared in lan, but if i disconnect it (through safe remove) and restart the machine, when i put it back in pc it is no longer shared.

I need this stick to be shared, every time i connect it to pc.

Is there a way to tell windows (XPP), that i need this drive letter (say F:) to be always shared (if it exists).

Thanks a lot

Hi,

Give it a permanent drive letter from disk management console like M or N, then share the removable media. It will be permanently shared. To change drive letter follow the instructions You can right click on "My Computer" ->Manage-> Disk Management ->Highlight drive and then right click and select "Change Drive Letter/Paths"