When The Wind Blows (1986)

IMDB Link

Based on Raymond Briggs' book. A old British couple, Jim and Hilda, who live in the countryside, believe in the fact that the Government will always know what it is doing. However the world is fast heading for the Third World War between the US and the Soviets. Jim prepares for it by building a shelter using Goverment pamphlets however both of them still believe that the war will be fought like the Second World War and they can't fully understand that the war will be fought with nuclear weapons. All too soon, war breaks out and Jim and Hilda unfortunately survive a nuclear blast. They stand back and wait for help from the Government and for things to get back to normal in a couple of days...

Been released again on DVD and thought I'd pick it up again. I think I watched this originally when it first came out on VHS back in '87 and the film has stayed with me ever since. The couple reminded me of my late gran-parents - same mannerisms and yes, in the 3 minutes warning my gran would have gone to get the washing in!

Both funny, sad and very chilling - I found it hard to believe the same animators did 'The Snowman'! Yes, it's bleak but as an anti-war film probably one of the best although I don't think people will now believe the government know what to do, they barely knew then and they sure as hell won't these days.

I've never seen Threads but this one caught my eye more at the time.