[Review] Canon Digital IXUS 85 IS

Martyn

Just over a year ago, I bought my first digital camera. I plumped for a Canon Digital IXUS 70, so I could capture my time at University in images. It was a great investment, and I took over 2,000 photographs with the device.

081021(1).png

Unfortunately, and I don?t know ?exactly? how, I broke my IXUS 70 whilst on holiday in Magaluf at the beginning of August (yes it has took me that long to write this). I was legless (literally, I was so ****ed I could not walk), and when I awoke on the balcony ?the morning after? I found the screen of the camera had somehow smashed. Needless to say I was gutted, but seeing as I could not stand up without being sick over the balcony at that time; it was not the foremost thought in my mind.

The camera still functioned, and I could use a glorious invention called a viewfinder in order to take photographs, which was a blessing. However, a digital camera is largely ineffective without a digital screen, so I knew I would have to buy myself a replacement.

As I will probably keep repeating, the Canon IXUS 70 is a great camera and I was rather happy with it until my alcohol infused veins had its wicked way with it. Camera technology has not changed much in the year since I had bought the IXUS 70, but Canon have added updated Canon IXUS cameras to their product line. So for a replacement, I plumped for the Canon IXUS 85 IS.

As you would imagine, there is not a revolutionary difference between the IXUS 70 and IXUS 85 IS. The difference can only be described as an improvement on what was already a camera nearing perfection.

Aesthetically the Canon IXUS 85 IS a beautiful camera, and I decided upon the black version rather than the silver I had last time, for a change. Canon?s IXUS line are small form factor cameras, and are designed to be very portable, which is handy for me as it normally sits in my jeans pocket on a night out, protected by an iSock (mega brain alert!).

Compared to the IXUS 70, the 85 IS offers only small cosmetic changes. The camera has bezzled edges rather than the square edges the of its counterpart, which surprisingly I find more comfortable. Although, I think this design change was instigated by the fact Canon did not want to release a new line of cameras that looked exactly the same as the previous generations.

How much can you improve a camera in a year when it comes to features? Well, much to my surprise, quite a lot. The IXUS 85 IS can take photographs up to a resolution of 10.0 megapixels, an improvement upon the 7.1 megapixels that the IXUS 70 offered.

When you play spot the difference between the names of the two cameras, the IXUS 70 and the IXUS 85 IS, you may notice an ?IS? tacked on the end of the latter. This stands for Image Stabilisation, a feature that Canon is keen to point out to its customers.

You may remember my review of the IXUS 70 last year, where my main gripe was that the camera sometimes delivered blurry images when the flash was not used. Either Canon read my blog, or they also realised as well that their camera took some **** poor blurry images alongside the otherwise fantastic photographs, and fixed the issue!

Likewise, I moaned a little about the fact the IXUS 70 did not have a battery indicator. I am now glad to say that Canon has also fixed that gripe, which leaves my critical mind satisfied for now.

Continuing on the battery theme, I would like to mention the fact that the battery on the IXUS 85 IS seems to last a lot longer than that of its predecessor. Infact, it has only been charged twice by me, in that time I have taken over 600 photos on my new device, and both times I gave it a charge I only did so as a precaution so the battery did not run out on my travels.

081021(2).jpg

All in all, the Canon Digital IXUS 85 IS has to be the best portable camera available on the market, and fills every single need a student could havOriginally wrote this for my blog, but as always I thought I would share it on here. it on here.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jgrodri

Nice review, I have the exact same camera (also in black) and I think it is astounding. It may be the best point & shoot on the face of the earth.

If you start messing with the manual settings, you will find that images start having "noise" at relatively low ISO's. I am also yet to figure out how the control the exposure time without getting one big bright white pic. But on "auto" mode, this camera really shines. I can make pictures of incredible detail and quality without knowing squat about photography.

I'd also recommend it to anyone who's thinking of getting a camera anytime soon.

Edit: if anyone the otherside of the atlantic is interested, the ixus line is known in the Americas as the powershot SD series, This camera would be the SD770 IS :)

houlty

the canon ixus range is the best compacts imo. i have the ixus 950 is and love it...

dt

Thanks for the review :) Care to post some sample pictures taken in various settings with different lighting?

• 3 weeks later...
[B00]

I have an ixus60 which i aboslutely love simplicity in itself might not be as good as the above but hey i love it :D

• 1 month later...
Martyn

Small update; I seem to have broken my zoom button whilst drunk, and also the shell is creaking quite often these days :p!

I was thinking of perhaps getting a replacement from Canon.

Fedr0
Small update; I seem to have broken my zoom button whilst drunk, and also the shell is creaking quite often these days :p !

I think you really should leave your camera at home when you go out for a pint... :p

• 3 weeks later...
Martyn
I think you really should leave your camera at home when you go out for a pint... :p

Aha! Might be an idea :D

• 2 months later...
Martyn

That zoom button has magically fixed itself after another night out. Maddddd :wacko:

chconline
It was a great investment, and I took over 2,000 photographs with the device.

Man, I take like 5000 photos/year on average with my compacts :| Usually lasts around 3 years, is that normal?

emzino

I can highly recommend this camera. Very good but night pics are so so (it's probably me not configuring it right).

• 3 months later...
rimatt

That is a very beautiful camera. I really do like Canon, because they almost always have a very unique and ageless design. I destroyed my last one completely, because I am a total wreck when it comes to technology and electronics, believe me, I am able of destroying everything irreparably. I am therefore now looking for a new camera and actually I have no plan, which one I should take. Zero plan, honestly. That's why I thought I might ask anybody here, if you could recommend me one of Canon's EOS single lens reflex camera?