Bought some fruit that is one day past its 'Use by' date

Elliot B.

I bought an 'apple & grape snack pack' from Tesco Express today that had a 'Display until' date of 26OCT and a 'Use by' date of 26OCT. Today is the 27th October.

I tried an apple piece and it tasted a bit different (which is why I checked the date and found it to be what it is).

They still ok to eat?

Lee G.

They should be okay, but if they don't taste nice then I wouldn't continue eating them.

Elliot B.
They should be okay, but if they don't taste nice then I wouldn't continue eating them.

Waste of 50p :(

Oh well!

Lee G.

Even if they don't taste quite how they should, they're most likely okay. So, it's up to you. Usually it's okay eating things that are one or two days out of date. But there isn't much point in eating them if they don't taste nice.

what

Worst you'll get for a day over is a nasty after taste. It's when it starts falling apart in your hands that you should be concerned.

Elliot B.
Is it brown? ;)

It's going a bit off-color, yeh.

BGM

fruit is perfectly edible until it starts looking like fungus :)

fatboyuk

If it aint mouldy, eat it - if it is, grab a razor, shave it then eat it anyway :)

If it doesn't taste gross there ain't much wrong at a guess !!

Napalm Frog

It should be pretty fine. If there is any discolouring or funny taste, it's probably because some of the things in it have been oxidizing or reacting and converting to something else. Best example of this is apple juice. Leave it for a while, and it will turn brown. It will taste funny, but will still be okay. The brown is caused by the Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) reacting with the air. The end result is apple juice that has absolutely no nutritional value, but you get my drift.

As long as there isn't any physical damage (mould, rodent bites, etc), it should be quite safe. If yo are worried, take a bite or two, wait 20-30 min, and if you don't feel anything, then you are good to go.

C++

There's no food out there that isn't safe 1 day after the expiration date. Food producers know better than to put themselves in that kind of risk.

Chicane-UK

You really need to learn to just observe when fruit & veg is safe to eat or not. Use by dates on fruit and veg in supermarkets are typically absolutely ridiculous and often they will last weeks and weeks after the use by date.

Soft fruits like Strawberries, etc typically aren't so good and stuff like mushrooms can be a bit hit and miss but root veg, peppers, onions, potato's, apples, parsnips, etc etc will last for weeks (or even longer). I bought some tomato's about 2 weeks ago (use by the 10th) and was surprised to reach into the fridge today to find them still firm with no sign of ageing at all.

You can't really go too wrong if you look for visible mould, or look to see if the product has changed texture / colour significantly since purchase!

Nicholas-c

use by dates are very wrong most of the time (Take it from me, i work in supermarket) Usually fruit can go 2 days but we cant sell after the date normally

C++
If it's slimy don't eat it.

It's grapes and apples, mate, not ham and turkey... Fruit doesn't develop slime.

Laurë

Well, it's not going to taste as fresh as it would have last week. Apples do get a bit ...drier .. when they are less fresh. As long as it's not mouldy, tastes disgusting or too far removed from it's original colour and texture, I would probably eat it. So a bit shrivelled on the skin, fine, really shrivelled and brown, not fine. Easiest way to tell is to cut it in half and see what the inside is like.

The grapes - I'm not so sure. I've found they go mouldy quite quickly, usually white fluff. I wouldn't even buy them so close to the use by date.

As everyone else said, those dates don't necessarily mean much, I take it as a "not our problem if it's gone off after this date".

I've had onions sprouting shoots and still be good inside (the shoots were tasty as well), same with shrivelled mushrooms and potatoes.

It's grapes and apples, mate, not ham and turkey... Fruit doesn't develop slime.

You clearly haven't done enough testing :p

roadgeek9

No major blemishes - then you are fine.

_dandy_

"Best Before" IMO just translates to "won't be as good after that". For just a day over, I wouldn't worry about it. A week after though, then yeah, things are going downhill... :-)

primexx

if they sold it to you out-of-date you could get an exchange/refund. bing your receipt and the package to customer service.

acnpt

Im sure its illegal to sell 'use by' products after the date.

I'd get a refund if I were you.

+shift.

If you can taste that it's different then you probably shouldn't eat it. Whether or not you should have checked the "best before" date at the supermarket is another issue.

However, I've always stuck with the practice that if a fruit or something is expired and it's still edible (safely) then might as well eat it and not waste food.

maplecookie

If I get something that is past it's due date, I go back to the store and get a basket. THEN I proceed to take them all off of the shelf and hand them to a manager along with my receipt and explain why I'm upset.

I've always gotten results and while I know it's bitchy, it always works and people learn that dates have to be checked.

qdave

one or two days is not too bad :p i even ate dairy products which were out of date for week and nothing happened.