Why do people like to buy HUGE HDTVs?

I meant carrying them. A 52" LCD has got to be heavy.

but you originally said over 32".

and "has got to be heavy", so you have never lifted one in the first place?

Size helps to help you become part of what you are watching. You percieve an immersion into the surroundings by having to pan your vision around to catch it all. It seems like you're in the movie/game/show.

Yeah, I carry around my 42" plasma all day long!

Work, bathroom, gym and on holidays - You never know when it might come in handy.

No but seriously, who cares? You mount it / place it and then it remains stationary for a few years in most cases. It's all about the HD experience and the immersion, who cares about weight.

. . .you say how do you get them in your house... are you talking about the older DLP sets?... I can see those being a lil difficult to manage getting into a small house or condo... but the 52" LCD could prob fit through a big window if i needed it to...

Yeah, but then this is where I don't understand? With flatscreen TVs, why is it such a struggle to get it through the door? Unless your TV is taller than the door frame?! If so, then surely it would be as long as a cinematic screen?! Ha ha!

Becaise for 99.999999% of the tv's lifetime, I'll be watchign it, not carrying it around.

Could not have said it better myself.

Why would you want to carry it? You need to move your 52" around all day?

Man, you put your TV where you want it and that's it... It stays there! And LCD are much lighter than any CRT TV.... I can move my 46" LCD all by myself. It even fit inside my Pontiac Vibe!!!

There are many reasons -

First, I didn't actually have a TV after college - I had a small 13" one in my room at home from my parents. When looking for a TV, I wanted the best possible experience to emulate the theater experience. At the time, a 61" 1080p DLP set was the best bang for my buck.

Second, I got married shortly after college and was ready to buy a house with my wife - rather than cram the room to the point where we're directly in front of the TV, a big screen allows us the opportunity to have the couch on one side of the room, while the TV is on the other side, giving more than enough space to keep the aesthetics of the room in tact. I'm able to maintain a nice "family" style appearance, while still having the big screen for TV/Movies/Gaming/HTPC. In fact, my main PC is set up via my HDTV and I just sit on my couch while doing anything.

Finally, the weight issue, as many have pointed out, is non-existent. My wife has a CRT from before we got married which is up in our bedroom. A 32" CRT weighs enough to be carried by one person, but realistically should be carried by two unless you're pretty strong. Trust me, after lifting that monstrosity during our move into the house, I'll be glad to never do so again. The HDTV on the other hand, is light as a feather compared to the CRT, weighing in at just under 80 lbs. Sure 80 lbs isn't something we carry around on a daily basis, but it isn't being moved on a daily basis, and when it needs to be, the weight is divided evenly enough to make it a non-issue.

The beauty of society is that (at least in America) we're all free to purchase items that make us happy and serve a purpose. If HDTVs weren't useful or desired by folks, there wouldn't be a market. Every piece of equipment has an intended application and target audience. It's no different than me balking at a car such as the Chevy Aveo which serves me no purpose - just because it doesn't appear to be beneficial to me in any way doesn't me others won't differ and buy one. I'm not sure if the original intent was to be a knock on large HDTVs or on society's desire to have one in a materialistic world, but you've sure attracted quite a few detractors to the original post :)

Lets just cut the crap. You just have a lazy and doubtful mindset.

Setting up a large HDTV doesn't require a piano lift, it just takes two average-sized men. The size of the TV measures diagonally so getting it through a door will never be an excuse because most HDTV's are no wider than 3/4 of a foot. Unless you live in a midget house or something.

I could understand if you were asking about a refrigerator or washing machine, but come on. Just use some common sense.

Lets just cut the crap. You just have a lazy and doubtful mindset.

Setting up a large HDTV doesn't require a piano lift, it just takes two average-sized men. The size of the TV measures diagonally so getting it through a door will never be an excuse because most HDTV's are no wider than 3/4 of a foot. Unless you live in a midget house or something.

I could understand if you were asking about a refrigerator or washing machine, but come on. Just use some common sense.

Ok, enough with the flaming. I don't know what part of my question was "flamebait," but my question was answered already, so there ya go. Now, I'm praying that a mod would lock this topic. Starting this was a huge mistake. People on this site are so immature. I post on the AVS forum and I don't get nearly as much flaming responses as this site. No offense, but I think the moderators need to be more strict here. People here going overboard.

try taking the tv with you while taking a dump ... man ... back breaker .. but picture wise... crystal clear ... actually i don't even need to wipe my ass, the tv does it for me ... is amazing these days what a huge HDTV can do for you ...

Ok, enough with the flaming. I don't know what part of my question was "flamebait," but my question was answered already, so there ya go. Now, I'm praying that a mod would lock this topic. Starting this was a huge mistake. People on this site are so immature. I post on the AVS forum and I don't get nearly as much flaming responses as this site. No offense, but I think the moderators need to be more strict here. People here going overboard.

Yeah, it's definitely the people here who are immature - Not you sounding a bit lazy?

Whoa!! I step out and when I return home, I find a whole mess of replies, 90% of which are flaming responses. Notice, I said, "I hope this question doesn't anger anyone." (sigh) I guess we can't act maturely here. I request a moderator to close this topic because it's obviously leading to trouble which was not my intent. I refuse to engage in a conversation that's going to end up in a flaming war. Yes, I did start this topic, but I didn't think it was so hard to ask for mature responses here.

People probably remember your other 'attempts', like https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...=637942&hl= and how you just didn't seem interested in the actual answers as much as you seemed interested in deriding people for having the eyes to see the quality difference.

People probably remember your other 'attempts', like https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...=637942&hl= and how you just didn't seem interested in the actual answers as much as you seemed interested in deriding people for having the eyes to see the quality difference.

That was a topic I started months ago and I admit, it was a mistake. I even sent the moderator that locked the thread an apology PM, which he ignored. Me and my family believed HDTV was useless but if you noticed, I changed because people here convinced me and now I've mentioned several times that I've planned on getting an HDTV when the price is right. I've had my heart set on getting a Samsung LN32A450. But anyways, since then, I tried very hard to try to engage in a nice, mature conversations and all I kept getting was flaming responses. I guess people are never going to forget that thread and will take it against me for the rest of my life. Here are some non-flamebait threads I started and all I got were flaming responses:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...=651879&hl=

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...=648032&hl=

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...=649006&hl=

Oh and by the way, if people hate me because of that first thread I started, you will not like my father then. He thinks HDTV is disgusting (but I don't, just so we're all clear). I guess now I know why all his co-workers hate him ;)

Did you seriously just ask what the point is in buying an HDTV because they aren't light?

Are you ****ing kidding me??

No, I asked why people buy 50" inch HDTVs when you can get a nice light 20-30" one.

Edited by xraffle

My 160" tv weighs less than a 32", the screen weighs around 10 pounds and the projector weighs around 10 pounds, the average 32" weighs around 30-40 pounds.

No, I asked why people buy 50" inch HDTVs when you can get a nice light 20-30" one.

but why would you buy a smaller tv just because it's lighter ?

most places will deliver it to your door, and even then you can usually order full instalation service, and if not, yeah the bog of a 42+ screen you'll usually need to be two to carry, but how hard is it to get a friend to help set up a TV. out of thebox if you have to move it, you CAN mov a 42 inch by yoruself at least, it's heavy, but it's also flat so it's easy to get around as logn as you can hold it.

I mean you aren't going to be moving the tv aroud. and if you need to access to rear connections a lot, make sure to get a tv with a twiastable stand, or a wall mount that can easily be extended out for accessibility.

but why would you buy a smaller tv just because it's lighter ?

most places will deliver it to your door, and even then you can usually order full instalation service, and if not, yeah the bog of a 42+ screen you'll usually need to be two to carry, but how hard is it to get a friend to help set up a TV. out of thebox if you have to move it, you CAN mov a 42 inch by yoruself at least, it's heavy, but it's also flat so it's easy to get around as logn as you can hold it.

I mean you aren't going to be moving the tv aroud. and if you need to access to rear connections a lot, make sure to get a tv with a twiastable stand, or a wall mount that can easily be extended out for accessibility.

The way the post office handles things today, I wouldn't trust them. On that first thread I started, I mentioned that my co-worker had an HDTV that arrived cracked. I highly doubt that was done at the factory. Looks like a post office problems to me. I'd rather buy my HDTV at the store and bring it home myself. That's kind of hard to do if you're buying a 50" HDTV, especially if you're by yourself.

And TVs, especially LCDs, are estimated to last around 20-30 years. I highly doubt I will be living in the same place in 30 years. When I move, I want to be able to move my TV easily.

The way the post office handles things today, I wouldn't trust them. On that first thread I started, I mentioned that my co-worker had an HDTV that arrived cracked. I highly doubt that was done at the factory. Looks like a post office problems to me. I'd rather buy my HDTV at the store and bring it home myself. That's kind of hard to do if you're buying a 50" HDTV, especially if you're by yourself.

And TVs, especially LCDs, are estimated to last around 20-30 years. I highly doubt I will be living in the same place in 30 years. When I move, I want to be able to move my TV easily.

Post office doesnt do it. It is the installation company.

You won't keep your TV for 30 years. Something will go wrong with it and eventually you will get a new one.

We get it. You don't like big TV's. Great. So stop trying to convince the rest of us who have them that we are idiots or whatever as you obviously have nothing positive to contribute to this community as a whole

Edited by Brandon

So the reason you buy a TV is because its light? :huh:

Do you hold it on your lap whilst watching it or something? Usually you put the TV in one place and then leave it there for years.

I do. Its a lap warmer for the winter time. Hope it just doesn't catch on fire!

Its a shame there's nothing much in way of CRTs. They were cheaper and the colors popped out A LOT more than with LCDs and I always find the LCDs much too pixelated.

going by this logic, you must have a light waster, dryer, fridge, bed, dresser...ect ect. When you're moving the tv is the least of your worries.

Well the post actually has warranty on anything they transport so if they break it they replace it.

and again, you have no family or friends to help you with the one time deal of carrying in the TV ?

as for moving, when you move no matter how big your tv is, I doubt it'll be your biggest issue, I'm pretty sure your couch for example will still be heavuer, way harder to move and definately require 2 people. Then there's things like Fridges and stuff if you own these in the apartment/house you're in, dishwashers, landry machines.... those nice big soft and lovely spring mattresses, they're a royal pain to move.

Moving is something you occasionally do yeah, but you rarely move by yourself, and you most people hire moers to do it, effectively, quickly, and with insurance.

bigger is better (as long as the room you're putting it in works for the tv)

myself (all plasmas for black levels),... my current smallest i have or recommend is 42'' (by master bedroom tv) .. 50'' is average/nice (in my den) , and the 60'' kuro is in my main living room (great size)

I hope pioneer makes a larger tv in the future (70-80'') , that would be excellent.

also you gives a crap about power consumption or weight/mobility ??? (once its on the wall who cares) ... Personally really only care about picture quality / viewing experience, that is most important.