[Boxing] World

article-0-0062578E00000258-760_468x342.jpg

The world?s worst boxer has finally thrown in the towel after 256 defeats.

Peter Buckley, 39, has lost more fights than any other boxer and says that his next, number 300, will be his last.

?I?ve had my eye on the 300 mark for a while, and it?s a little milestone I want to achieve, but I don?t want to fight on,' he said.

?People keep saying to me that I?ll get a call in a few weeks? time offering me a fight and I?ll say yes, but I mean it when I say this is it.'

Despite his losing streak, Buckley has sparred with several impressive opponents including 42 future British, Commonwealth, European or World champions, such as Duke McKenzie, Scott Harrison, Naseem Hamed, Michael Brodie, Gavin Rees and Colin McMillian.

He boxes so often that he sometimes arrives at a bout with a black eye and has been known to agree to fights as late as 8pm on the same night.

'I?m always in the gym, so if I get a call a couple of hours before a fight, I usually say yes,' he said.

'If you phone up a bricklayer and ask him to build you a wall, he doesn?t ask for three weeks to prepare.'

The Birmingham-born Welterweight was honoured with a special ringwalk and presentation before his 200th fight in April 2003 at the MEN Arena in Manchester.

His final fight will take place at the Aston Events Centre in his hometown.

'I don?t know what I?ll do when it?s all over on Friday, but I?d love to stay in boxing in one capacity or another,? he told the Guardian.

?Boxing has been good to me over the years. When I was a youngster I was in trouble with the police, a really wild kid. But the sport has given me a focus in life.?

[Source]

This brings a whole new meaning to punch bag.

In all fairness I think the guy deserves a medal there is a very few people on earth that would have the mental or determination skills to keep going at something for so long.

Far too many people give up to easily, well done although that sounds almost patronising. It is not meant to be.

Sounds strange but he may make an excellent coach, there is a lot of knowledge in knowing where you go wrong as opposed to the opposite.

At least that's what he loves doing, sounds like an honest guy.

Yeah I think thats all that matters really that he loves the sport.