3D game movement keys (keyboard)

3D game movement key bindings  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite key binding for games like Unreal Tournament?

• Arrow keys
    • Arrow keys (2,4,6,8) on Numeral Pad
    • 8,4,5,6 or 5,1,2,3 on Numeral Pad
    • W,S,A,D
    • S,X,Z,C
    • I,J,K,L
    • none of the above (specify)

What I mean by "games like Unreal Tournament" is: Use the mouse to look around and turn around, use the keyboard to move about, strafe left and right. Therefore, driving games, most simulation games, Ninja Gaiden, Prince of Persia, Tony Hawk and GoldenEye are not in this category, while Freelancer, Gears of War and Oblivion are.

I,J,K,L is good because there's a "bump" on the J key, if you're left-handed you would normally put your hand at this position.

S,X,Z,C is useful in the 3D level editor for Thief and System Shock 2, where mouse-look is disabled and you have to use the keyboard to look around. For consistency, I play these games using S,X,Z,C too.

If you use different bindings for different games, choose your favorite one. I've been using WSAD for numerous games but it's not my favorite one, it's just too common and boring. (Gamepad is better but that's not the point of this poll.)

Left hand for mouse use so right hand for movement using keypad - 8,4,5,6 - directions; 0 - Jump; 2 - Crouch; keypad enter - Use/Activate

WASD It has been a while since I played a game that needed me to use it though. So I think that when I get back into a good FPS or MMO I am going to try and switch to SEDF for more buttons around my hand.

None of the above!

I use a config that makes ever gamer go nuts. I got used to this config starting from Duke Nukem 3D, and I never bothered to change

Forward: Mouse 2

Backwards: X

Strafe left: S

Strafe right: D

Jump: A

Crouch : Z

The layout doesn't look TOO bad on the keyboard, it's somewhat logical (I think), but that mouse 2 is what shocks ppl :rofl: Ive been using that in every game, Quake 2, Quake 3, UT, CS, you name it and it's been working.

Every reply has been very unique and enlightening. Game designers (me being one of them) can really learn from you.

it's somewhat logical (I think), but that mouse 2 is what shocks ppl

The Mouse 2 isn't that hard to understand - in real life, a normal person doesn't "strafe", "crouch", "jump" or "move backward", all he does is "move forward", and therefore you map it to the mouse, and everything else mapped to the keyboard. Your keyboard layout is unbelievably neat.

Now, my personal favorite layout is 2,4,6,8 on Numeric Pad, inspired by Final Fantasy VII for PC (I prefer the Numeric Pad over the actual PS controller). In real life, the most difficult move is "move backward", and I map that to the "2" button which is awkward to press.

used to play with arrow keys for years until some games needed alot more buttons and it got hard to reach so I moved to WASD. Prefer WASD than arrows now, easier on my desk aswell

',aoe' -> the equivalent of 'wasd' on a qwerty

sometimes '.oeu' (which would be 'esdf') if i need extra keys on the left side to do other things.

although now that i rarely play full-fledged games which allows you to set custom keys, I tend to stick to the arrow keys since 'wasd' is scattered all over the keyboard

W,S,A,D is the shiznit.

Q,E,R,F,Z,X,C,V, Spacebar, Tab, CapsLock, Shift, CTRL,1,2,3,4 are all so much easier to press with W,S,A,D rather than numberpad or arrow keys

None of the above!

I use a config that makes ever gamer go nuts. I got used to this config starting from Duke Nukem 3D, and I never bothered to change

Forward: Mouse 2

Backwards: X

Strafe left: S

Strafe right: D

Jump: A

Crouch : Z

The layout doesn't look TOO bad on the keyboard, it's somewhat logical (I think), but that mouse 2 is what shocks ppl :rofl: Ive been using that in every game, Quake 2, Quake 3, UT, CS, you name it and it's been working.

WTF? Mouse 2? As In the mouse scroll? Or the right-click button? (both sound hard to believe)

Real question is: are you any good at these FPS games with this KB config? :laugh:

W,S,A,D is the shiznit.

Q,E,R,F,Z,X,C,V, Spacebar, Tab, CapsLock, Shift, CTRL,1,2,3,4 are all so much easier to press with W,S,A,D rather than numberpad or arrow keys

WTF? Mouse 2? As In the mouse scroll? Or the right-click button? (both sound hard to believe)

Real question is: are you any good at these FPS games with this KB config? :laugh:

And do you play FPS games? You should know that Mouse2 is the right button :rofl:

It's an amazing config I think because you can pull some pretty sick trick jumps and bunny hopping in fast paced games without needing to contort your fingers in such a way that you're pressing every needed button. WASD ****s me up in Quake when trying to strafe jump from different angles.

Any Good? Sure, today I play CS:S COD4 and Quake Live so we can check it out if you play any of those :p I used to almost always play Urban Terror, but I finally stopped after 7 years, was about time :D

• 4 weeks later...

WASD obviously. Every time my fingers hit a keyboard even if im not about to type my left hand ends up on WASD. Its easier to use 1-5/6 when playing RPG games.

In every FPS i play, Mouse 2 is Jump, 3 is reload. I usually change crouch/change position to Left Shift if its not and SPACE to Walk/etc... :shiftyninja: