Blu-ray is dead

you can find cheap blu-ray movies on ebay, and new dvds are selling for like 25 bucks, blu-ray is not dead only hddvd, i love blu-ray i would get planet earth blu-ray if you guys want a hd exp. that is worth the money

I just wish the price of the movies would come down. I picked up a player a few weeks ago for $300 and I'm happy with that. I went browsing through the movies at the local Best Buy and most are set at $29.95 or more. They're on sale for $24.95 for the first few days and then get jacked up again. I know everyone is trying to capitalize, but with DVDs still on the shelves, the distributors have got to make it worth my while to pick up the BluRay instead. They're price gouging themselves into oblivion.

I just wish the price of the movies would come down. I picked up a player a few weeks ago for $300 and I'm happy with that. I went browsing through the movies at the local Best Buy and most are set at $29.95 or more. They're on sale for $24.95 for the first few days and then get jacked up again. I know everyone is trying to capitalize, but with DVDs still on the shelves, the distributors have got to make it worth my while to pick up the BluRay instead. They're price gouging themselves into oblivion.

thats what got us in the credit crunch business. Greed.

*SIGH*

The REAL problem is exactly people are NOT letting DVD go!!! They think it's cheaper, but quality is now really bad! $16 for 480p Quality? I RATHER have a 6x Better quality for $10 more!!!

You CAN'T have a Cheap Blu-Ray right now, with still Expensive DVDs customers still Embracing Ignorantly!!!

It's just LOGIC and Common Sense man! (They can NOT be the same price, or close, and Never will with such difference in Quality!) Customer NEED to stop embracing SD DVDs, and then DEMAND Blu-ray prices to drop, then it will! :|

Edited by JediXAngel

I've never watched a movie via a Blu-Ray disk. I find it obserd to pay $45+ for a movie simply to get a little better quality. DVD's work fine for me and my family :).

$45+?? where are you getting those numbers from? even in retail stores theyre like $29.99, unless you go to the mall in those smaller stores where theyre a ridiculous $39.99.

i've never once paid more than $20 any HD DVD or Blu-ray movie i own. you have to be crafty and buy them during special sales or on ebay...

*SIGH*

The REAL problem is exactly people are NOT letting DVD go!!! They think it's cheaper, but quality is now really bad! $16 for 480p Quality? I RATHER have a 6x Better quality for $10 more!!!

You CAN'T have a Cheap Blu-Ray right now, with still Expensive DVDs customers still Embracing Ignorantly!!!

It's just LOGIC and Common Sense man! :|

ROFL

quality is NOW really bad? why? did someone go around and scratch all the DVDs in stores?

upscaling too much hassle?

to be honest BR quality is better, yes, but prices dont reflect the increment in quality at all, unless you're an enthusiast.

Where are you guys purchasing Blu-Ray movies for 45? I get them all for 29 at wal-mart unless it's a special boxed version. Every new movie (last few months) that I have purchased has come with a Digital DVD backup copy which I find very nice...

Digital downloads work great for music and lower quality movies, but until everyone is on fibre I don't see how downloading HD movies works... A vast majority of the united states is only on DSL/Cable granted that is fast, but not nearly the speeds you would want downloading such a large file... I hate downloading 4GB ISO and playing COD4 online.. just doesn't work at times..

Another great reason I love Blu-Ray movies is that my kids (under 5) can easily load up a movie and not SCRATCH it, unlike DVD. I can't tell you how many times I had to reburn a DVD (from backup) that they destoryed...

I like the ability to download content vs having to buy the full price for some crap I don't always need, but with the fact of it being bundled with a digital copy now, makes me sway my vote.

Once I seen Quality of Blu-ray, I CAN NOT ever buy SD DVD again!

Except for movies that really don't need to be in HD anyway!

Those aren't the movies I usually buy most of the time anyway!

Where are you guys purchasing Blu-Ray movies for 45? I get them all for 29 at wal-mart unless it's a special boxed version. Every new movie (last few months) that I have purchased has come with a Digital DVD backup copy which I find very nice...

And I get Most for FREE-$25 :)

I have a hard time seeing the difference between a proper upscaled DVD and a BR/HD-DVD disc on my 42" Pioneer, so I'm not paying almost double for the same movie.

That is such a... you know what? I am not going to insult you just ... :no: Just look at these pictures...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1070952

You tell me if it's even CLOSE!!!

That is such a... you know what? I am not going to insult you just ... :no: Just look at these pictures...

so.. you get them for free or 25$? and statistically you would represent what ... 0.001% of movie buyers?

.. besides, if the difference was SOO much,people would flock to the upgrade. wonder why they dont.

evidently they dont see the benefit versus the cost, me thinks.

Hahaha, oh please, upscaled DVDs look nothing like that unless you downloaded a DVD rip :rolleyes:

never said they do, but with an upscaling DVD being 29euro and positioning quality between SD and HD... i still think its the alternative the majority of people is going for these days.

I agree with you to a point. I first saw those comparisons on this 24 inch monitor at a resolution of 1920 by 1200. You could defiantly tell the difference.

Then I was going to show my parents. They were sitting on the couch in front of my 42 720P TV. So I pulled them up on the TV with a resolution of 1280 by 720. I pulled them up and I was surprised. I could of swarn they looked a lot better when I saw them the first time. I mean the Blu-Ray picture did look sharper. So I think it depends on your resolution. The guy with the 42 inch really might not of seen that much difference. I think to really see the difference you have to go with a bigger TV 50+

so.. you get them for free or 25$? and statistically you would represent what ... 0.001% of movie buyers?

.. besides, if the difference was SOO much,people would flock to the upgrade. wonder why they dont.

evidently they dont see the benefit versus the cost, me thinks.

But only 1/4 of americans have even adopted HD in their homes so far... I do agree, most ppl are not going to purchase blu-ray at a high price right now, but that will change once everyone gets used to full HD content all the time. Half the broadcasts on TV are not all HD all the time, so I can't expect ppl to want HD or see an advantage when they don't have it thrown in their face all the time.

I agree with you to a point. I first saw those comparisons on this 24 inch monitor at a resolution of 1920 by 1200. You could defiantly tell the difference.

Then I was going to show my parents. They were sitting on the couch in front of my 42 720P TV. So I pulled them up on the TV with a resolution of 1280 by 720. I pulled them up and I was surprised. I could of swarn they looked a lot better when I saw them the first time. I mean the Blu-Ray picture did look sharper. So I think it depends on your resolution. The guy with the 42 inch really might not of seen that much difference. I think to really see the difference you have to go with a bigger TV 50+

Thank you.

The way the resolution is handled on the TV is very different from a PC monitor, hence why most comparisons are null and void because people just run the movies in VLC players and take a screenshot, here the difference is enormous due to PC monitors rely so much on native resolutions and lack proper upscaling.

A TV handles video sources so much better, specially in the upscaling department. Yes HD sources look great on my HD-Ready TV but an upscaled DVD doesn't look to shabby either.

On my PC monitor the difference between SD and HD is huge but on my TV the difference is tiny.

By the way, I'm talking 720p here, NOT 1080p in case anyone wonders.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that 720x480 is lower quality than 1920x1080? It's 6X more pixels.

Upscaling a DVD to 1080p is like going into Photoshop and doing a rescale of a 720x480 picture to 1920x1080. It's only better because it fits the native resolution of HDTV, but you don't get any new information. It's more pixels with filters and sharpening, nothing else. You can't have what's not there to begin with.

And lets not go on and on about compression ratio and bitrate. We all know that Internet download or streaming use aggressive compression and low bitrate and most are 720p max. So again, FAR from the quality found on a Blu-Ray disc.

NOW, the one and only problem with Blu-Ray is the cost. Cost of the player and movies. Unless it's now too hard to handle a physical media because we deal with a bunch of lazy people.....

I'm done with discs. If it doesn't fit a pendrive or memory card i don't want. My notebook has enough space to have all i need, much more convenient and easy to find and don't collect dust.

Thank you.

The way the resolution is handled on the TV is very different from a PC monitor, hence why most comparisons are null and void because people just run the movies in VLC players and take a screenshot, here the difference is enormous due to PC monitors rely so much on native resolutions and lack proper upscaling.

A TV handles video sources so much better, specially in the upscaling department. Yes HD sources look great on my HD-Ready TV but an upscaled DVD doesn't look to shabby either.

On my PC monitor the difference between SD and HD is huge but on my TV the difference is tiny.

I agree, I enjoy upscaled DVDs from redbox on my PS3, but after I watch a Blu-Ray movie and pop in one of the kids DVD's it does look significantly different only because my eyes become acute to the higher quality... Now when I wait a few and watch another upscaled it's not to bad... But again this goes to my point, once HD because a standard on TV as it is, ppl may respect the higher quality, and it should be cheaper by then...

on a side note Even HDTV from comast doesn't have the same effect as Blu-Ray at times...

For me, I get my HD movies from premium channels and pay-pre-view. I have very little desire to watch a movie more than once. Frankly, the higher resolution doesn't help me enjoy the movie any more. The differences between VHS and DVD were like night and day. The differences between DVD and Bluray are pretty marginal to Joe the plummer.

Digitial Distribution over Blu Ray is dumb. Anyone who really cares about quality knows this. If you just like the bigger picture and nicer audio, sure its good enough, but the real quality obsessive people will want Blu Ray or until its successor comes. There's just too much compression done with digital downloads and digital cable boxes ect. Blu Ray is the only way to get the absolute best quality. So no its not dead, I buy Blu Ray movies all the time and rip them onto my mac (gotta use windows to do it though :angry:)

But for the sake of the argument, most people are perfectly happy with compressed HD, as few people are as obsessive as myself. Blu Ray will eventually die, but only to be replaced by a non disc format. Digital Downloads won't go away, and thats good, but I'll always opt for buying my HD movies/shows physically then overtheair. I hate discs as much as the next guy so I just rip em and then store the originals in my closet. :)

Also Shadrack, it depends on what your watching it on and what movie it is. Older movies I agree not a big impact, but newer ones meant for HD do look exceptional, but importantly all look much nicer on a large screen, the bottom line is the smaller it is, the more stretching required. Less stretching, better picture. But on a 20-40" screen you probably won't notice a massive difference between dvd to blu ray, but when you start getting into the 60-70" you really do.

Digitial Distribution over Blu Ray is dumb. Anyone who really cares about quality knows this. If you just like the bigger picture and nicer audio, sure its good enough, but the real quality obsessive people will want Blu Ray or until its successor comes. There's just too much compression done with digital downloads and digital cable boxes ect. Blu Ray is the only way to get the absolute best quality. So no its not dead, I buy Blu Ray movies all the time and rip them onto my mac (gotta use windows to do it though :angry:)

But for the sake of the argument, most people are perfectly happy with compressed HD, as few people are as obsessive as myself. Blu Ray will eventually die, but only to be replaced by a non disc format. Digital Downloads won't go away, and thats good, but I'll always opt for buying my HD movies/shows physically then overtheair. I hate discs as much as the next guy so I just rip em and then store the originals in my closet. :)

Also Shadrack, it depends on what your watching it on and what movie it is. Older movies I agree not a big impact, but newer ones meant for HD do look exceptional, but importantly all look much nicer on a large screen, the bottom line is the smaller it is, the more stretching required. Less stretching, better picture. But on a 20-40" screen you probably won't notice a massive difference between dvd to blu ray, but when you start getting into the 60-70" you really do.

and that 60-70" HDTV will set you off how much exactly in good old Europe??

am i the only one on the continent that doesnt see himself being able to afford one before 5 or 6 years, when a 37" (and not a great one at that) is still around 1000euro?

For me, I get my HD movies from premium channels and pay-pre-view. I have very little desire to watch a movie more than once. Frankly, the higher resolution doesn't help me enjoy the movie any more. The differences between VHS and DVD were like night and day. The differences between DVD and Bluray are pretty marginal to Joe the plummer.

Night and Day to me!!!

3a680e66.png

7b09a10b.png

Night and Day to me!!!

3a680e66.png

7b09a10b.png

what part of "not on a 32" HDTV" do you not understand?

I have a 37" full HD Samsung, and yes there is a difference, but if you're the average 40yo with eyesight issues you will struggle to notice.

Even on a 32" it's still clearly noticeable! You don't notice it, then you really MUST have eye sight issues!!!

You don't have a good eyesight does NOT mean that these HD resolution aren't Day & Night VS DVD!

DVD resolution, now it's blurry and out of focus. Blu-ray (HD) so Sharp and Crisp (Again, even on a 32 inch)!!!