Ubuntu 8.10 - Intrepid Ibex out

darren89
It's Professor Dumbledore!

Hopefully 9.04 will get rid of the bloat Ubuntu has been stacking up.

+1 yeah.

its finally released.

however, hopefully 9.04 would even been better. :)

Phixion

Finally, I expected it to be released at midnight GMT! :(

PL_

Is it me or has it not hit the repositories yet? Ubuntu says I'm up-to-date.

Setnom

Ubuntu kick ass! Right now, it's running from my 4 gigs USB drive! No liveUSB for me, it's a real Ubuntu installation.

markjensen
Is it me or has it not hit the repositories yet? Ubuntu says I'm up-to-date.

Just did a sudo apt-get update and nothing new yet. If my 7.10 -> 8.04 experience is any indication, the repos will be a bit slow on the first day, anyhow.

Those are direct http connections, not torrents, so server load will be incredible in the first couple of days.

Googintosh

I had just installed 8.10 RC a few days earlier.

I tried gskudo "update-manager -c" and it said I was up-to-date as well. This is just a matter of the repositories being updated right?

tsupersonic

Just installed it. It's very fast, but I can't download anything since the repos are being hit hard.

Unobscured Vision

Runs very nicely for me. A few nags with older Metacity themes, but it's decent.

fix-this!

ill be waiting until the 1st of the year to install, let them work the bugs out a bit.

whats the new features anyways ? change log maybe ?

is wireless more supported ? how about syncing with a wm pda ?

Max

Trying Xubuntu 8.10 out now on an old PIII 833Mhz/256MB box. Seems a bit slower installing than 8.04.

afusion

I ordered Intrepid Ibex Gnome and KDE once it arrives there should be some proper updates by then. I just wish they included flash 10 but it's non-free.. geh freakin licenses

SMELTN

very cool

James7

I am downloading now. I have been using 8.10 for a month though. But I want the full proper ISO as I want a new computer to put it on.

Quillz

I'm running 8.10 right now in a virtual machine. It's really nice. I actually haven't used Ubuntu since 7.04, and it's great to see all the progress that's been made in just over a year. Ubuntu keeps getting better and better.

I will probably do an install on my Dell XPS M1330, as a native install will run better and let me use the Compiz-Beryl effects.

The only thing I don't like about Ubuntu is the default setup. I much prefer doing a minimalistic setup, as seen below. But that's the great thing about Linux in general. You can set it up and get it customized to exactly what you want. I like my Linux setups to look like the glory days of Windows 95/98.

my.php?image=103108fg3.png

yjwong

Just updated using the Alternate CD from Ubuntu 8.04 (: Couple of things to iron out with the switch from the "fglrx" (ATI proprietary) to "radeon" (Open Source ATI driver) driver. Good to know that the "radeon" driver now supports Compiz out of the box with my ATI Mobility Radeon X1400.

Mine is obviously not the default interface. And I'm glad that Ubuntu 8.10 supports 3G devices out of the box now (mine's a Huawei E220), so I no longer need the Vodafone Mobile Connect Driver for Linux.

Have further 405 updates to download o_o

So far so good (:

post-178510-1225449082_thumb.png

If you would like to know how to upgrade from the Alternate CD (in case you don't have an Internet connection and you don't have a blank CD-R/RW to spare), here's how.

mount -t iso9660 <path to ISO image> /cdrom -o loop
gksu /cdrom/cdromupgrade

That's it (:

TruckWEB

Why did they include OpenOffice 2.4 ?? 3.0 is out now and I don't even see it in the Add/Remove software...

Denholm

Thanks for the heads up (Y)

Been looking forward to the final release.

ScorpioRGc1

Hadn't touched Linux in years, and am somewhat interested in playing with Ubuntu 8.10 some, but I have a couple of quick questions:

1. Is the WUBI installation option found on the ISO? (As I said, I'm just looking to experiment a bit with it, not heavy or serious use yet)

2. What's the difference between Ubuntu, Edubuntu, and Kubuntu? Which should I get?

Thanks in advance. :)

Aahz

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my obscure built-in USB wireless device (laptop) was installed and working perfectly when no amount of futzing could get the thing working in 8.04. Needless to say Intrepid Ibex has solved my one outstanding hardware issue and has now secured a permanent place on that machine.

It's nice because now I can actually show-off Ubuntu to people without being tethered to a wired connection. It's kind of a hard sell when everything works wonderfully except for the internet which, of course, is a deal-breaker for most no matter how much I explain that it's because of it being weird laptop hardware.

I'm sure that this is a silly question but is there an official DVD image which contains all version of Ubuntu? (Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xbuntu and in x86 and x64 flavors?) The thought being to burn a one-size-fits-all disc which I can pass around to fence-sitters.

Hadn't touched Linux in years, and am somewhat interested in playing with Ubuntu 8.10 some, but I have a couple of quick questions:

1. Is the WUBI installation option found on the ISO? (As I said, I'm just looking to experiment a bit with it, not heavy or serious use yet)

2. What's the difference between Ubuntu, Edubuntu, and Kubuntu? Which should I get?

Thanks in advance. :)

1. Yes WUBI is there.

2. Ubuntu uses Gnome for its GUI, Edubuntu is the college-arific (educational) flavor of Ubuntu, and Kubuntu uses KDE for its GUI. There's also Xubuntu which uses XFCE for it's GUI which is a lower resource interface. It really comes down to personal preference save the flavors which actually use different sets of applications (like Edubuntu).

They can explain it way better there but basically if you just want to check things out in their default state then use Ubuntu but know that those other interfaces are usually a few clicks away anyhow. (you can install Ubuntu with gnome and then install KDE as well and switch back and forth between them...it all depends on how you'd like it to look/feel really) I prefer Ubuntu's default flavor so I'm going to recommend that but it's only because Xbuntu felt bare and Kubuntu felt like a toddler made the GUI so I'm a bit biased. ;)

Edited by Aahz
markjensen

#1, I am not sure.

#2, Ubuntu is a Gnome interface, standard desktop apps. Kubuntu is a KDE interface, standard desktop apps. Edubuntu is a Gnome interface, with a collection of "education"-based apps that might be typical for a school computer intended for use by kids.

You can use any of the apps found in one distro in any other (I can use the educational apps in Kubuntu, and use full OpenOffice in Edubuntu, for example)

Behemoth

A fellow Greenvillian!

Wubi can be downloaded separately here - Wubi

-markjensen beat me to it!