Ubuntu 8.10 - Intrepid Ibex out

Kreuger

Yeah I'm having troubles with upgrading too. Something related to python setup tools? I'll sort it out tomorrow though.

yjwong
Dist-upgrades can be hit or miss; they always have been problematic for Ubuntu, and general advice is it's usually better to do a new install instead. I, however, did dist-up and didn't have any problems, which quite surprised me. The update did seem to take about twice as long as a conventional install though.

For me, I have followed new Ubuntu releases from 6.06 all the way to 8.10 without any significant problems (other than the frequent breakage caused by the proprietary "fglrx" driver). And that's via dist-upgrade. But I would definitely agree that the update takes very much longer than a fresh install (it's like 1 hour vs 15 minutes kinda thing) on my laptop.

I wouldn't want to lose my files for a fresh install, though. And I can't have a separate /home because I have used all 4 partitions - 3 OSes, 1 swap (and blame MBR tables for that limitation, and configuring an extended partition is too much of a hassle at this stage :p). Blame me for being lazy hahah.

Fourjays

Any screenshots of the default theme? Keep reading discussions about it but the only screenshots I can find are (apparently according to comments) not the default theme... :/

ian
So... Now that the trolling moment is (let's hope) over, anyone noticing a performance decrease with this version? Compared to 8.04 this new version uses on my system a bit more of memory (150MB more). Anyone else noticing that?

Yes, I did notice a performance decrease with this version. 3D applications seems slower with the new ATI driver and hard disk access is also slow. Until they fix this, I'll keep using Hardy which works great with my laptop. It's fast and very stable.

brentaal

Same here, memory usage is a bit higher for me, and the whole system is less responsive.

But what I hate the most is that they've expanded the gnome-core meta package, and added a ton of useless crap in it. I can't do a basic CLI install anymore like before... gnome-core metapackage on Hardy had about 60MB worth of packages, the Intrepid one suddenly has 160MB (wtf?), and it installs tons of crap like totem plugins, evolution libraries, etc. Almost like a full install... which I certainly don't ask for after consciously selecting a "CLI base system" from a hidden menu, and then instaling gnome-core. It's not "core" anymore.

I also had some trouble with the gfx drivers...

Tin Man

I performed the upgrade from a stable version of Hardy Heron and was rewarded with a horribly unstable version of Intrepid Ibex.

KDE crashed when attempting to open Firefox and left me at a black screen

Shorewall and Firestarter lock out my networking (somewhat my own fault admittedly)

No "Private" folder was created

and right now I'm fighting with the fact that the 8.10 ATI driver (fglrx) won't install under it and am searching for a way to restore the "radeon" driver.

Sorry this seems like the upgrade from HH to II wasn't tested well. Ironically, this is more the communities fault as well...

markjensen

Just going to chime in that I did an upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 through the package manager when it prompted me.

It took about an hour, and there were a few times that it asked me to keep my original config file, replace it with the new incoming config or view the differences. This part for grub and a few things caused me a bit of pause as I tried to determine which would be the correct answer - something that needs to be made smoother for new users that would be totally lost on which version to keep.

But once completed, it rebooted and I was running 8.10 with only one minor hitch. My personalized keyboard shortcuts that used the special multimedia keys aren't working, but the ones that used the standard keys still do. I need to re-declare Firefox to my special "browser" button, Thunderbird to my "mail" and so forth. But operationally, it is fine. No noticeable increase in RAM usage that I see reported in this thread (but I use fluxbox, so the increased resources may be due to Gnome or such).

Lechio
I performed the upgrade from a stable version of Hardy Heron and was rewarded with a horribly unstable version of Intrepid Ibex.

KDE crashed when attempting to open Firefox and left me at a black screen

Check the version of KDE that it installed. If doing the upgrade the version of KDE installed is anything previous to KDE 4.1.x, would recommend you to install from the latest Kubuntu release. KDE 4.0 was a very unstable release, with many issues.

TruckWEB
OOo 3 was launched a just after the 8.10 Feature Freeze, so it couldn't be included as it hadn't been fully tested by the Ubuntu team.

Why would Ubuntu need to test OpenOffice for 8.10? It's out, that's it... It should work. Lack of standard in Linux world provoke the need to test each apps against each distro before making them available?

markjensen
Why would Ubuntu need to test OpenOffice for 8.10? It's out, that's it... It should work. Lack of standard in Linux world provoke the need to test each apps against each distro before making them available?

Why does Microsoft test changes to IE? Is it "lack of standards"? Or just common sense.

I upgraded from a fairly stable version of 8.04.1 to 8.10, and surprising to me, the restricted driver for my Atheros wifi works now, but the ATI drivers are still garbage - can't suspend without locking up the laptop, or even restart properly with freezing at the BIOS screen. Other than that, it seems OK, but I don't like some of the changes they made to the UI (when I used to do a Ctrl-Alt-Del, I would be prompted to log out, restart, shut down, etc. Now it just has log out or switch user - terrible change for me, it's like they're taking pages from MS' book in how to make simple things more complicated.

I'm thinking it may be time to try a different distro.

Rob2687

Ctrl-Alt-Del never had any function in the default Ubuntu desktop. Unless you're using a different desktop environment or added that keyboard shortcut yourself.

Tin Man
Check the version of KDE that it installed. If doing the upgrade the version of KDE installed is anything previous to KDE 4.1.x, would recommend you to install from the latest Kubuntu release. KDE 4.0 was a very unstable release, with many issues.

I think I cleaned up a lot of it by visiting the Ubuntuforums section on Multimedia.

Now the ATI (read:bane of Linux) drivers issue in KDE 4 was remedied by setting the acceleration from OpenGL to XRender unfortunately I lost some effects with that setting, so more playing to do!

AJerman

I'm back!!

Not in this section, because I never have been very active in this section, but to Linux. After a long hiatus from Linux, I finally got a bigger HDD for my Macbook and set up triple boot and 8.10. So far I'm impressed with how well it runs on the hardware. That's usually my biggest turn off, losing hardware to crappy, or completely missing drivers.

So far everything is working great and 8.10 looks very good. I'm going to have to take a little getting used to Linux and all the keys again, but I expect to be back up and running in a day or two.