Windows 7 Build 6801 live QnA

Hi there,

I'm currently running my copy of Windows 7 I got from PDC. I'll be glad to answer any questions or post screenshots right now.

Ambroos

Edit: My config:

Intel C2D E6750 2.66Ghz

2GB DDR2 (800Mhz)

Simple WD Sata disk (40gig partition for Win7)

8600GTS 256MB

Edited by Ambroos

Yea, does anyone know how Win7 will handle Apple products? I'm curious if it will show up various options for my iPhone for example.

There isn't any mobile phone already supported by Windows 7. It's only the framework that has been written, now the mobile phone makers have to write their code for it.

All hype aside, how well does it run , as in speed and stability and such? Any sluggishness like what occured sometimes even on Vista (even on my 4GB rig! >.<)

I'm quite surprised. I don't have any antivirus installed at the moment, but it feels a lot snappier than Vista does for me (on the exact same machine). Stability seems fine to me. Messenger (beta) keeps on crashing, but I'm not sure if that's Messenger or Windows.

If it's for everyday use, it's not at all ready, as it's just full of bugs (just annoying ones, no bugs that crash anything so far).

And the changes to Aero and UAC are welcome. UAC (by default) now only displays a message when an external program tries to modify anything. Not when you, for example, launch Regedit or anything like that.

I'm quite surprised. I don't have any antivirus installed at the moment, but it feels a lot snappier than Vista does for me (on the exact same machine).

Antivirus is the main cause of performance issue

Is Flip3D still present or replaced with something else?

Flip3D is still here. Windows aren't transparant anymore while in Flip3D or while a open/close/min/max animation is going on.

post-151800-1225388032_thumb.png

Has the defrag screen been altered?

Still the same as far as I know.

post-151800-1225388212_thumb.jpg

I'm now installing my AV to see what effect it has on Performance.

True, but even the default setup only has like 41 processes running. Remember this is Ultimate also which has all the extra junk running. Vista on the other had from a fresh install (Vista Business SP1 ISO) had like 48 processes running and starting off at 37% of RAM used (2GB installed on my machine). Same machine starts off at 27% RAM used.

post-698-1225388409.png[

Actually the defrag looks different. Can someone confirm?

I don't remember Vista's one having the option to analyse first, which I missed.

Definitely different! The WHOLE GUI is different from the old one.

post-698-1225388630_thumb.png

Even with antivirus installed it's still more or less the same.

Internet games are back! They can't connect to their server... Must not be up yet. Texas Hold'em from Vista Ultimate Extras is not here and not available.

post-151800-1225388802_thumb.jpg

Windows Solution Center bundles the Security Center and the Problems thing.

post-151800-1225388874_thumb.jpg

is 6801 the newest one? is that the one they showed at the conference?

6933 was show at the conference

6801 is the build we all got

Is it true that the stop error screen has been changed to something more pretty? I keep hearing this...

If you know a good way to produce one let me know!

is 6801 the newest one? is that the one they showed at the conference?

No, 6801 is the one they released for testing. They were showing 6933 at PDC. Some (if not most) of what was shown in the PDC build is in 6801. Only the new taskbar isn't there as far as i know. In 6801 it still works like it does in Vista (except the new star menu which is newer)

Is it true that the stop error screen has been changed to something more pretty? I keep hearing this...

Well luckily i haven't seen it yet so i can't say that's the case. :)

So this is the version without the new taskbar right? Are there any compatibility issues? Or is the software and hardware compatibility going to be more or less the same as Vista.

So this is the version without the new taskbar right? Are there any compatibility issues? Or is the software and hardware compatibility going to be more or less the same as Vista.

Everything I tried worked fine, except for the nVidia drivers. They seem to work just fine, even though Windows said the installation failed...

Then there's this mysterious SMBus, have no idea what it is, but Windows can't find drivers for it.

I've seen that (SMBus) in XP but never in Vista, it had drivers for it. You might be able to get driver for it from Intel.

Everything I tried worked fine, except for the nVidia drivers. They seem to work just fine, even though Windows said the installation failed...

Then there's this mysterious SMBus, have no idea what it is, but Windows can't find drivers for it.

Probably your chipset. I have the same, also in Vista. PM45 chipset.

what size of a hdd partition did you install 6801 on? after install, how much space did it take up? i have a laptop which i want to test it on with dual boot, but have limited space to allocate for a partition.

The online Add-ins for media center are currently bugged.

what size of a hdd partition did you install 6801 on? after install, how much space did it take up? i have a laptop which i want to test it on with dual boot, but have limited space to allocate for a partition.

I gave it 35GB.

Now, with Office 2007, Messenger, Firefox, G-Force and Whitecap it takes 14GB. I have a feeling it's less than Vista...

Here (it was about 5.2GB at first but then it grew i'm guessing cuz of thumbnails and all that) Note that Vista was about the same also. Once you turned down the pagefile and hiberfile it was about the same. Since i have 2GB of RAM my hiberfile was 2GB also and pagefile was about 3GB so 5GB of unused storage.

post-698-1225390778_thumb.png

Office 2007 runs fine.

When you have Media Center and WMP opened at the same time they get sort of linked together (only for music). If you then change a song in WMP, it also changes in Media center. No traces of double playback or anything, looks more like Media Center uses WMP to play songs.