• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Blu ray player and a standard def tv?

mshepp    0

I am thinking of upgrading my tv and dvd player soon so blu ray and an hdtv are the next logical step. As buying a tv and blu ray player at the same time will be quite expensive i was going to buy the blu ray player first then the tv. I am lookng at something like this for the player link but will i be able to use this, or any other blu ray player, with a standard def tv which only input is SCART?

If it is possible to do this would there be any marked improvment in quality or will i only see the real difference once its hooked in to a HDTV?

Thanks

+Fahim S.    1,088

You won't really get any noticable improvement taking that route.

My advice would be to buy the HDTV first and then the Blu Ray player.

goji    30

The above poster is correct, your throwing your money away by going with an HD signal on an SD screen. Save up and then make the initial investment when your able.

TruckWEB    480

The logical step would be :

1) Buy a HDTV

2) Upgrade your TV provider to HD (Sat, Cable, ....) and get the appropriate equipment.

3) Buy a Blu-Ray player

Since you're not always watching movies, I think that going with the TV first and upgrading your TV service to HD will be the best. If you have a DVD player that can upscale to 1080p, it's going to give a small boost to your current DVD collection. Then, go ahead and buy a Blu-Ray player.

SuperJediMedia    48

1) Eat $1 a meal food. DON'T pay $10+ on any meal! (Americans are SO WASTEFUL! They waste $10+ on meal easily. No wonder they don't have other money left!)

2) Goto Fatwallet, CheapAssGamer whenever you are buying something for advise. They can save you $100s easily.

3) Work extra Hours, or Overtime, if you CAN

4) Save your money! Don't touch $1000 (If you get $10/hr, you should get that much in a Month!)

5) Buy a BUDGET HDTV - $500 and again use 2) to help you find it. When you shop for Best deals, DO NOT be lazy, Line up for 5+ hours if you have to!

6) Buy a PS3 - $400

7) Buy 4-5 Blu-ray movies $100

Enjoy HD :D

Edited by JediXAngel

NienorGT    18

It's depends.

If you are someone that buy DVDs right now go get the Blu-Ray player now and start right now getting Blu-Ray movies instead of wasting your money on DVDs.

If you are the guy that just rent movies, then buy your HDTV first, you will be able to enjoy it from Day 1 unlike the Blu-Ray player.

SuperJediMedia    48

You will only see MINOR improvement with SD TV and HD contents, but you'll only truly be blown away if you a HDTV!

Get HDTV first, you can immediately enjoy HD on the fly...

mshepp    0
5) Buy a BUDGET HDTV - $500 and again use 2) to help you find it. When you shop for Best deals, DO NOT be lazy, Line up for 5+ hours if you have to!

So youd suggest just getting a HD ready TV rather than a Full HD tv?

+Human.Online    8,604

Go for the HD tv first, as that is a more mature technology, and will get better value per $ over a technology that is still developing.

goji    30
1) Eat $1 a meal food. DON'T pay $10+ on any meal! (Americans are SO WASTEFUL! They waste $10+ on meal easily. No wonder they don't have other money left!)

And Obese.

SuperJediMedia    48
So youd suggest just getting a HD ready TV rather than a Full HD tv?

For $500, you CAN get a FULL HDTV!

DaDude    46

Exactly. This is why I bring a sandwich to work with me everyday. Eating out everyday is so expensive and bad for your health.

Pilsbury    0

2) Goto Fatwallet, CheapAssGamer whenever you are buying something for advise. They can save you $100s easily.

4) Save your money! Don't touch $1000 (If you get $10/hr, you should get that much in a Month!)

6) Buy a PS3 - $400

Hmmmm, $1 a meal food certainly sounds unappealing and probably full of the worst / cheapest ingredients.

I'd disagree with the overtime comment too. Is a new TV really more important than spending time with family and friends?

I'd strongly advise against buying a budget set. Go for something from a known brand and a currebt / recent model. Doesn't have to be top of the range. You really do get what you pay for - a cheap set will use old generation panels or ones that have failed QC for known brands. The electronics will be older and give a much poorer picture in general. Some of the budget sets aren't proper HD resolutions either.

deuz    2
The logical step would be :

1) Buy a full?HDTV(for 32'' or >3.5m viewiing on a 50'' for HD, >37'' or 50" viewing<3.5m for full hd. otherwise difference imo is negligble)

2) Upgrade your TV provider to HD (Sat, Cable, ....) and get the appropriate equipment.

3) Buy a Blu-Ray player

Since you're not always watching movies, I think that going with the TV first and upgrading your TV service to HD will be the best. If you have a DVD player that can upscale to 1080p, it's going to give a small boost to your current DVD collection. Then, go ahead and buy a Blu-Ray player.

there...id agree with that :D

6) Buy a PS3 - $400

stay off the glue? :D

_dandy_    214

What sort of inputs does your SD TV have? I'm assuming composite or S-Video.

Not knowing anything about BluRay players--are there any that even have those outputs?

Pilsbury    0

The PS3 is widely known to be one of the best BluRay players about, so, I'd agree that that's the way to go.

It supports composite and S-Video as well as component and HDMi.

I'd go for the TV first and then worry about BluRay.

deuz    2
What sort of inputs does your SD TV have? I'm assuming composite or S-Video.

Not knowing anything about BluRay players--are there any that even have those outputs?

bluray players have all the outputs, tohugh ive seen some without s-video but they have the rest.

most sd tvs have composite, s-video, component but not hdmi. It would have to be a reaaaaaally old tv not to have component. One of mine is about 5-6 yrs and it has component.

DaDude    46
The PS3 is widely known to be one of the best BluRay players about, so, I'd agree that that's the way to go.

I bang my head against the wall every time someone says that. PS3 is meant for games. Playing Blu-ray is just as add-on feature, so there is no way it can be better than a standalone Blu-ray player. That's like saying the PS2 is the best DVD player.

Edited by xraffle

TruckWEB    480
I bang my head against the wall every time someone says that. PS3 is meant for games. Playing Blu-ray is just as add-on feature, so there is no way it can be better than a standalone Blu-ray player. That's like saying the PS2 is the best DVD player.

I wonder if you ever stop and do some research before posting crap here.... The PS3 was built around the Blu-Ray drive, like a Trojan horse to win the battle against HD-DVD. It was the only player that could be upgraded from Profile 1.0 to 1.1 to 2.0 BD-Live without any problem. It's also the fastest loading movie player. The upscaling of DVD to 1080p is one of the best.

The PS2 was a crap DVD player, everybody knows that. But the PS3, for $399, is the best BD player that also happen to be a good gaming console.

But please, go on, bang your head.... harder....

jerzdawg    338

+1 to TruckWeb... the PS3 is still one of the top rated Blu-ray player on the market ... Sony has left the PS3 to be upgraded via firmware if any new features become available... many videophile sites have said the PQ is top-notch on the ps3 for blu playback.... please do some homework before posting such non-sense...

Edited by jerzdawg

DaDude    46
But please, go on, bang your head.... harder....

:argh: I did and now I have a headache.

Anyways, maybe the PS3 is the best Blu-ray player. But I watch Blu-ray at my cousins house on a PS3 and the thing loads soooo slow. Either you guys are wrong or they really need to improve the speed on standalone Blu-ray players because the loading time is rediculous.

deuz    2

load times are long on all bluray players, the sony stand alones are very slow, but theres a new panasonic with better features coming out but still it is more expensive than the ps3.

DaDude    46
load times are long on all bluray players, the sony stand alones are very slow, but theres a new panasonic with better features coming out but still it is more expensive than the ps3.

I see. I don't know why they make loading times slow. Even newer DVD players seem to load a lot slower than the older ones. My 8 year old Sony DVD player loads A LOT faster than my newer one.

deuz    2

you must have a bad dvd player (if that makes sense), i find theres not much of a difference between old and new.

The PlayStation 3 can load our Vantage Point disc in 42 seconds. The BD35 takes one minute 16 seconds to perform the same task. Now that sounds like quite a difference, but trust us when we say that's one of the best stand-alone-player load times we've seen. It does lag behind the PS3, but that's effectively a supercomputer, so it's not surprising
this is from a review i saw earlier in the week, basically i assume because there is so much data to load, also comparatviely read speeds on bluray havent progressed that much thus far, just like when dvd came out. You also realise that on dvd audio is compressed liek **** to make way for better video quality whereas for blu-ray both video and audio is 'uncompressed' so im not surprised its slower. As for 'making', companies dont 'make' them slower intentionally, get out of your conspiracy world! :p If your that worried about load times wait a year or something so they can put better chips in the players. Otherwise load times = popcorn?

ie.quit crying over split milk :)

DaDude    46
you must have a bad dvd player (if that makes sense), i find theres not much of a difference between old and new.

Actually, I have a Sony DVP-NS77H, which an excellent DVD player. I bought it over a year ago and I never had a problem with it ever since. It can even play badly scratched DVDs. I even heard it upscales to 1080p very well. So if/when I get an HDTV, it'll become very useful. It fast forwards really fast. But loading time it a bit slow though, for some reason. But hey, it only cost me $70, so I'm not complaining as it gets the job done. My 8 year old DVD player, however, loads faster, but it doesn't upconvert and it's sensitive to scratched discs.