Cool things discovered in Windows 7 (6801)

The new rich Command Prompt is freaking brilliant. I hope Linux evolves to use something like this in the future! (Y)

What is this rich cmd prompt you speak of?

Other cool things to try:

Win+Left and Win+Right hotkeys will snap a window to the screen edge.

Pressing Win+Right when a window is snapped to the right will move it to the next monitor in a multimon setup.

I think Win+Shift+Right will jump any window to the next monitor, etc.

Win+Up will maximize and Win+Down will restore.

Alt+P will show/hide the preview pane in Explorer.

It's good to see them finally making more use of the "Windows" keyboard key - this just keeps getting better & better...

Does anybody have a screenshot of PowerShell please?

Maybe I discovered something maybe I didn't, but who knows...

Open up a few MSN chatscreens or IE pages or something, but not maximized ones. Just windows. I then started dragging a window and I was wiggling with my mouse, and all the other Windows minimized so I had an empty desktop to place my window on. Hope you understand. Try it out! :)

Maybe I discovered something maybe I didn't, but who knows...

Open up a few MSN chatscreens or IE pages or something, but not maximized ones. Just windows. I then started dragging a window and I was wiggling with my mouse, and all the other Windows minimized so I had an empty desktop to place my window on. Hope you understand. Try it out! :)

Yes, there is a video demonstration of that located here.

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20081103/...ith-aero-shake/

The new rich Command Prompt is freaking brilliant. I hope Linux evolves to use something like this in the future! (Y)

For what it is worth, Linux (like all Unix/derivatives) have a solid and powerful shell foundation.

Not sure if your post was serious, or being a bit silly if you already were aware of the unix shells.

Nice! Looks very good and can't wait is this hoping to be released by next year or by end of this year or something? if so i will definaltly buy Win 7!

Not a very reliable source but it narrows things down ;) :

Release date: Expected between H2 2009 and January 2010; or on June 3,
Here's the command line version, there is also a graphical version.

You do know Windows PowerShell works on Vista too, right? This isn't JUST Windows 7.

The Hot Colour glow effect works well on the Aero Basic theme, makes you wonder if they plan to use some more niceties for the Basic theme itself...

A man can dream...

For what it is worth, Linux (like all Unix/derivatives) have a solid and powerful shell foundation.

Not sure if your post was serious, or being a bit silly if you already were aware of the unix shells.

PowerShell 2.0 from what i've seen has more going on for it than Bash and so on. I don't think he was trying to be silly, if it sounded that way to you is different though.

Can't believe I forgot this:

- In the volume mixer, you can see the noise each individual application is making, not just the total noise coming out the speakers.

eg. You could see if it was windows media player or winamp making noise just by looking at the volume mixer.

Vista has this feature already.

That's all real cool, I think Microsoft is gonna get the "WOW" they have been looking for this time, can't wait.

Not a very reliable source but it narrows things down ;) :

You do know Windows PowerShell works on Vista too, right? This isn't JUST Windows 7.

He asked for a screenshot of it so I took one, I've had powershell installed on vista for a long time.

Wow, I haven't seen Windows getting this much hype for some time :)

Windows 7 seems just awesome... I'm just overwhelmed they did so much in a pre-beta build. Hopefully this will be that greatest version of Windows combining the technology of Vista with a new level of usability and interface.

i have noticed that ultimate extras such as dreamscene, texas holem, etc... are missing from 6801..wonder if they are dropping these or just revamping?

Ultimate extras is being dropped (so I've heard), not sure what they're going to do with things they released for vista though.