Cool things discovered in Windows 7 (6801)

A hidden partition, yeesh, not sure how I feel about that.. :/

Hidden partition is 200 MB and holds anything and everything relating to the boot loader. This is kinda nice because it reduces the risk of some idiot deleting their boot loader then blaming MS.

Hidden partition is 200 MB and holds anything and everything relating to the boot loader. This is kinda nice because it reduces the risk of some idiot deleting their boot loader then blaming MS.

Oh nice.

200MB for a boot loader? come on! :rolleyes:

This thing has been talked about already in another thread. It's got the boot info AND all the recovery console/tools so you can boot into that and get Win7 working again if you have any problems.

In fact if Win7 can't boot the first time, the next time it'll go to this 200MB partition and give you recovery tools to fix the problem.

Next cool thing I just discovered: At the new Defragment dialog you can select multiple drives (like you can select multiple files in Explorer with SHIFT or CTRL)! Very nice and much easier than how it works on Vista.

Google chrome seems that is not working?! anyone can confirm that?

Posting from Google Chrome in Windows 7...

it works. :)

I have just finished installing this inside a VM (1vCPU and 1GB RAM) and this thing flies. :cool:

Haven't seen the new Display settings panel anywhere, so here it is,

post-62693-1225991573_thumb.jpg

So far I'm liking 7. One of my favorite things so far is when I installed it, it automatically edited the bootloader to include both vista and windows 7 since I'm dual booting. Pretty nice...

As long as you install a newer version of Windows on top of any older version(s) it always does that and has always done that. Vista also adds my XP entries for example.

This thing has been talked about already in another thread. It's got the boot info AND all the recovery console/tools so you can boot into that and get Win7 working again if you have any problems.

In fact if Win7 can't boot the first time, the next time it'll go to this 200MB partition and give you recovery tools to fix the problem.

For me, it hasn't made the 200mb partition, but instead has just put a Recovery folder on my Win7 disk, that also contains the bootloader. I wonder what happens if I format that disk... Will that be the end of my bootloader?

I have just finished installing this inside a VM (1vCPU and 1GB RAM) and this thing flies. :cool:

Haven't seen the new Display settings panel anywhere, so here it is,

post-62693-1225991573_thumb.jpg

You also get options to flip your screen. :) Previously you'd have to use the Forceware CP or the Catalyst Control Center to do this.

yeah I like those options for the Display now.. Although I was looking around forever to find the screensaver settings etc, then realized DUH they are right at the bottom!!!

You also get options to flip your screen. :) Previously you'd have to use the Forceware CP or the Catalyst Control Center to do this.

I think they should mark or highlight the native resolution for the LCD monitor as recommended.

I think they should mark or highlight the native resolution for the LCD monitor as recommended.

eww good point.. (Y) to that one

It does do that for me.

I somehow feel Windows Vista was the pre-pre-beta version of Windows 7. Windows 7 is everything that Vista should have been.

Well I was watching some videos on Channel9 that basically that's what the MS guys were saying.. Windows Vista laid the ground work for everything that 7 is doing. So instead of rushing Vista out, they should have just waited to make it what 7 is looking like its going to be..

Although, as most of you remember, Longhorn looked GREAT and had a TON of features that never even made it to Vista, so it could be they want to add them in, to see if they work, and how stable they are, then take them back out for the next release.. We don't know.

Well I was watching some videos on Channel9 that basically that's what the MS guys were saying.. Windows Vista laid the ground work for everything that 7 is doing. So instead of rushing Vista out, they should have just waited to make it what 7 is looking like its going to be..

Although, as most of you remember, Longhorn looked GREAT and had a TON of features that never even made it to Vista, so it could be they want to add them in, to see if they work, and how stable they are, then take them back out for the next release.. We don't know.

Microsoft couldn't afford another blunder like Longhorn was. They won't be resetting the codebase which t hey did with Longhorn what restarted the development.

There are more libraries: Communications and Contacts. Both can be enabled by showing their respective Start Menu links.

Even after doing this Contacts won't show up in your list of libraries however. You'll have to un-hide the file %USERPROFILE%\Libraries\Contacts.library-ms

I somehow feel Windows Vista was the pre-pre-beta version of Windows 7. Windows 7 is everything that Vista should have been.

And I somehow feel Windows 95 was the pre-pre-beta version of Windows 98, which was the pre-pre-beta version of Windows ME, which was just a release candidate of Windows 2000, which was a beta release of Windows XP...

And I somehow feel Windows 95 was the pre-pre-beta version of Windows 98, which was the pre-pre-beta version of Windows ME, which was just a release candidate of Windows 2000, which was a beta release of Windows XP...

Why be faseeshus, ME and 2000 sucked, 98 was good, 95 was alright... XP was epic, imo.

New Zune-esque Windows Media Centre interface. Can't actually test out the TV functions because Win7 doesn't want to recognize the Tv card.

Do you have a screenshot of this new interface please?