Recommend a 32-37" TV

Okay for starters, I'm a complete noob when it comes to televisions, especially hi-def stuff, so bare with me please :p

Our twenty year old CRT in our living room just blew it. Now we need to replace it with something with that size range, about 32 to at the most 37 inches - or maybe slightly higher, but we don't really have that much wall space to fit a huge TV. Oh and it's going on a stand that is 28 inches wide.

I'm guessing right now most TVs in that size range are LCDs... unless there are plasmas that are better.

I have no idea which brand offers decent quality at a good price... I'd have to sway to Sony's televisions if anything, but I'm pretty sure there are other better brands as well.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

A lot of friends and myself have Samsung LCD's and we all really enjoy them. Out of their current lineup the A550's would be a good choice (LN32A550 32" or LN37A550 37")

The 37" is only $850 from Amazon

First of all what is your price range?

Just a reasonable price. I would say a max is $1000 CAD.

A lot of friends and myself have Samsung LCD's and we all really enjoy them. Out of their current lineup the A550's would be a good choice (LN32A550 32" or LN37A550 37")

You mean this one? http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a...amp;catid=23244

I noticed there's also this one too: http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a...=&langid=EN

edit: Also forgot to mention. This TV will be connected to a standard Rogers cable terminal box... so I'm guessing everything's in standard definition. How would everything look, if there's a lot of upscaling going on?

Correct that first one is one of them I was referring to. I have a slightly older Samsung (46" 720P) and it handles upscaling standard def TV excellently. Of course hooked up to my 360 its a beauty :)

Yup I agree. Go with a Samsung!!

37" Philips Ambilight in the bed room and I love the picture quality delivered for the television, both for games and my high-definition service from Verizon FiOS/Blu-Ray.

Okay... I'll take a stab at the LN32A550. There's a 10% off sale on Best Buy ending tomorrow morning... guess I'll get it while it's still on :p

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

Okay... I'll take a stab at the LN32A550. There's a 10% off sale on Best Buy ending tomorrow morning... guess I'll get it while it's still on :p

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

You won't be disappointed. If you don't like the default lighting options, turn the display mode to dynamic.

You won't be disappointed. If you don't like the default lighting options, turn the display mode to dynamic.

Good to hear. (Y)

Hopefully I'll have it set up by tomorrow afternoon. I myself can live without the main TV for a long time but everyone else in this house can't. :ermm::p

How heavy do you want it?

Light enough so we can haul it back home. :p Coming from a twenty year old JVC CRT measuring about 28 inches across, anything's lighter than this :D

Everything's all setup now.

The signal and picture coming from the old cable box is pretty crappy. :ermm: But upscaled DVDs look pretty damn good. Guess I'm calling up Rogers to get a newer terminal box, this one we have is seven years old and extremely slow.

Oh and about the TV. It was light enough for me to carry, so there you go. :p

Everything's all setup now.

The signal and picture coming from the old cable box is pretty crappy. :ermm: But upscaled DVDs look pretty damn good. Guess I'm calling up Rogers to get a newer terminal box, this one we have is seven years old and extremely slow.

Oh and about the TV. It was light enough for me to carry, so there you go. :p

Yes, I was very surprised at just how good the local HD channels looked (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.) in 1080i.

Got a new terminal, all fixed now. The free 16 HD channels provided by Rogers look great. (Y)

Thanks again for all your help :)

Got a new terminal, all fixed now. The free 16 HD channels provided by Rogers look great. (Y)

Thanks again for all your help :)

Wow, that was fast, did you go to their offices or did they send it to your home? Did they charge you for your terminal upgrade?

Good to hear it is working now. Enjoy the new TV

Wow, that was fast, did you go to their offices or did they send it to your home? Did they charge you for your terminal upgrade?

Good to hear it is working now. Enjoy the new TV

All we did was ring up Rogers and ask to have our standard definition box upgraded to a HD box. Then we drove over to one of their stores nearby and swapped terminal boxes. Simple. The rental fee for a HD box is slightly more than a SD box, that will be reflected in our monthly bills. But I welcome it anyways. Before we upgraded boxes, the TV signal would freeze and artifact every couple of minutes - really annoying. Now it doesn't.

I'm not sure why, but the analog signal through the coaxial cable looks like utter trash, noisy and interference patterns all over the place. Even just from the box to the TV. (N)

So far the TV works great. I've also tried plugging by PC into it via a VGA cable and using it as a 32" gaming monitor at 1920x1080 pixels. :p My only complaint would be the speakers; my mom was quite vocal in her dislike over the 'tinny' speakers - good treble but nonexistent bass. I pulled out my older 2.1 speaker set and hooked it up as a temporary solution. So far so good. (Y)

Edited by rm20010