Taskbar + Desktop (Explorer) needs 15 Minutes

I'ce just installed Windows Server 2003 RTM on my computer and after installing a first problem occoured... from the first boot on, after loging in, the explorer needs 15 minutes to start.. in this time i have only a win-blue background, but I am not able to use the desktop (etc. rigthklick or sth like that). Also the Taskbar is not showing up... The only thing I can launch is the taskmanager... sometimes the bar even never shows up, so I have to kill the explorer service, start it again and wait 15 minutes. (again)

I have already confirmed, that this is not normal, so I hope sb. here knows sth to help me.. Would be cool if so :)

P.S.: My System is a Dell Desktop PC with a 1.5 GHZ Pentium 4, a Radeon 9500 np 128MBit, 100 + 60 GB Maxtor Harddrives, 512 MB Rims... ( having no problems with WinME, 2k, XP and so on... )

THX and have phun..

P.S.S.: Meanwhile I walked through the server to workstation tut form here, but the Problem still remains..

P.S.S.S.: Sorry, for my bad english, but I am from Germany...

hm... I removed anything not essential from autostart, but problem still remains...

do nobody here have an idea yet ???

I've changed a lot... BUT...the problem occured directly at the first Boot after installation, when nothing was changed..

And I am sure, that the insatllation worked fine, because everthing else (and once the taskbar loaded) is working correctly...

But I will do a complete installation again without only fast-format.... I'll report back tomorrow..

I've changed a lot... BUT...the problem occured directly at the first Boot after installation, when nothing was changed..

And I am sure, that the insatllation worked fine, because everthing else (and once the taskbar loaded) is working correctly...

But I will do a complete installation again without only fast-format.... I'll report back tomorrow..

Man where is my fish, to slap you around the head.

You did a Quick format and not a complete format, i bet thats the prob, cos quick does not get rid of all files from previous system.

If you gonna play with operating systems that are not even released yet as being tested, you gonna come up with some headaches. It is always best to install on a seperate hard disk or even a different computer altogether.

Man where is my fish, to slap you around the head.

You did a Quick format and not a complete format, i bet thats the prob, cos quick does not get rid of all files from previous system.

If you gonna play with operating systems that are not even released yet as being tested, you gonna come up with some headaches. It is always best to install on a seperate hard disk or even a different computer altogether.

errr.. wrong.. Quick Does get rid of the files.

the differnece between QUICK and FULL FORMAT is simply the running of a "Scandisk" in the background, thats why it takes so damn long, its running a thorough scandisk.

:D

Damn, i stand corrected.

Man, i 'think' i remember reading somewhere that ntfs quick doesnt wipe the whole drive completely.

Ahhh bah, maybe the alcohol talking here.

Anywayssssss

EDIT

Ok, memory returns.

While quick format is much, much faster, the full format option checks the physical substrate of the hard disk to identify bad sectors. Without this process, bad sectors will still be used and data could be lost and a installation of a Operating system can be compromised.

:ninja:

Ok drinky time again

when i was using Windows ME I've formated windows with quick format but after installation complete i checked the registry and i've seen all previous registry entries still there LOL

And that is what couldve happened in this instance when takes 15mins to load system.

Still dunno why he didnt do a full format anyway, cos is a new OS.

when i was using Windows ME I've formated windows with quick format but after installation complete i checked the registry and i've seen all previous registry entries still there LOL

yuck that blows! :s

lo.. reinstalled 2003 today.. with full format of the hole drive.... but problem still remains..

there must be some **** the pc is doing, before starting the explorer properly.... any idea what that could be ??

I have no clue.... win2k, 9x, XP are all running without any probs... so i suppose a service conflict... but otherwise, Everyone has the same services, than my copy os 2k3.. so ... I dunno ??? :(

yuck that blows!:s:s

LOL Lets save that for the "I Think Windows Me Sucks Thread" Kindly Located in the Windows 9x Forum... LO:laugh:h:

@insurektion: As I wrote before... I have multiple systems running on my PC.. 2k3 is the thrid and should be the main system once running correctly.

At the moment I am running win 2k without any major problems on the same system... so no "boot sector virus" ;)

Just a FYI: Quick doesnt delete all the files, only clears the file table. So the files are still there, just that you have partitioned over them. They will automatically be erased when they are overwriteen by other files ;)