Taskbar + Desktop (Explorer) needs 15 Minutes

Installed the corporate ed today.. (before a full format of space...) still the same problem.. must be something with my hardware.. i have no idea...

d00d! i HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM WITH MY SERVER... I am running Corp edition enterprise, and start menu takes like 15minutes also and 50% of the time it doesn't even LOAD... I'm like WTF??? The start menu only really loads in safe mode so something must be wrong... I heard this happens after you do a upgrade, but I really don't wanna do a clean install or revert back to win2k svr... (I want to keep my advanced IIS server configs, etc...)

Anyone got a CLUE what is happening??? and ANY FIX???

My server is a beasty Dell Poweredge 500SC with a 1.1gig CPU... win2k svr ran fine and EVEN FASTER than winsvr2k3 now... WTF??? :(

I'm really mad right now, it seems i cant get this prob fixed... ANY HELP would be appreaciated! Thanks!

:cry:

intressting.. my problem also occures on a Dell system... I have a Dimension 8100 workstation....

oh, and till now it seemed that I am the only one with this problem ^^ I am happy that there's somebody out there with the same prob :p ^^ w3lc0me m4t3 :)

I had a similar problem and it was from Microsoft's default drivers for my Intel IDE controller. It only happened with the Standard edition for some odd reason though, I installed the Enterprise Ed and it cleared up the problem. Maybe just luck, because I assume the driver sets for both are the same

After researching I FIXED IT... Here's the FIX:

(It's a Winsvr2k3 user profile problem...)

Reboot your computer into safe mode by pressing F8 at startup, just select the standard "Safe Mode"

Login into safe mode... (Any user with administrative privledges should work...)

Your start menu should run fine like normal(like for me...)

Now to into C:\Documents and Settings (Replace C: with whatever drive you installed winsvr2k3 into...)

and go into the Windows USER ACCOUNT FOLDER THAT HAS SLOW start menu problems, for me it was the standard old "Administrator" account...

Basically what you are about to do is to make windows remake the administrator's account files/(ntuser files/etc...)

So for the administrator account it would be C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator...

Now go in there and copy the "Favorites, My documents, Desktop, Start Menu, etc etc..." basically all the folders YOU WANT TO BACKUP (we will copy it back later...) into a diff directory... I put mine in

C:\backup ...

now delete the WHOLE Administrator folder or user profile folder in C:\Documents and Settings...

and reboot into Normal windows..

and login into that account...

(The account we just fixed...)

Windows *SHOULD* remake ALL the account files...

and WAIT until windows is *FULLY DONE LOADING* and the configure my server thing or whatever starts up...

now hit start/all programs/control panel, etc... it should be FAST like before...

This fixed worked for me on Enterprise Final so I don't know if it will work on other versions...

YOU MUST DO ALL THE STEPS ABOVE MANUALLY, since the the winsvr2k3 GUI user profile management tool(in the server) WILL NOT ALLOW you to delete it so just do the above steps...

Please report any sucesses/failures etc...

Well, I got my server running EXCELLENT, don't know about yours...

:rofl:

:D

OOPS: I almost frogot, final step is to copy back the backup files from C:\backup or whatever like the start menu items, desktop shortcuts, etc etc....

Soory Dude.. this didn't worked for me :( I deleted the User folders, through another OS and restarted into 2k3... the folders were restored, and the problematic is still the same.. haning for 15 min or forever at the service explorer.exe ..

would please someone lend me a shotgun.. so i could go and **** up this ****** caled gates... hrrrr ^^

Let winsvr2k3 LOAD fully meaning the configure your server thing pop's up and look at the cpu indicator to see it is almost at 0%? (All startup services have loaded sucessfully...) or just after the desktop shows, wait 5-10 minutes and then hit the start menu? It should be faster after... I really don't know... :(

It worked for me for some reason...

I heard CLEAN INSTALLS NEVER have this problems, only upgrades...

or just after the desktop shows, wait 5-10 minutes and then hit the start menu? It should be faster after...

So u never fixed the Problem.. it still needs 10 minutes to show up.. ???? and what is fast about waiting 10 minutes ???

I have same problem, however I stuck my mates hdd in my comp instead of my dvd drive so I could transfer some stuff to him and it didn't have the long wait. I haven't played around with this to see if swapping back brings the problem back yet, but I think it may be some ide controller error

how to tell 2k3 wich IDE to prove and wich not... I'll try out the swap trick, but at least I won'T change my hardware config permanentley for an os...

Could be to do with DHCP, had this problem ages ago with Windows XP Professional Edition. Assign static IPs to your network cards.

DHCP is overrated anyway.

it seems that the fast startup was a once off freak thing for me, playing around with what ide devices are on didn't seem to make a difference. I also tried the whole make a new profile thing, didn't help either.

I'm wondering if we all have some peice of software/hardware incommon that might be causing the problem.

Specs:

Athlon 1000

512MB PC2700 DDR Ram

GF4MX440

Chaintech 7VJL Apogee

Flyvideo 3000

Promise Ultra 2000

4 HDDs (Maxtor 20GB, Seagate 30, 40 and 120)

AOpen 48x Writer

Liteon DVD

yeah.. the IDE thing, and also the profile thing didn't work for me, too... this problem seems to accour only on a few pples PCs..

Here again some facts..:

- The problem is not occuring in safe mode

- When killing a service 2k3 needs to run it shuts down in 30 seconds.. but in this time the the taskbar and desktop occurs (when u kill the service at the beginning...)

- Taskmanager and CMD and so on are accasseblie .. only browsing capability and explorer, taskbar, desktop etc are not available (while browsing with CMD IS available..)

- When the Taskbar finally loaded everything seems to be normal...

@Twink: Do u have a Dell pc ?

nah it's homemade, not a Dell. I've also noticed this doesn't seem to be a login problem, I left my computer for about 10 minutes after booting then logged in, went faster then normal.

Same problem here .... both with upgrade and fresh install ... and the funny thing is that it is random ... i tested my win2k server after making a ghost of the drive and upgrading to win2k3 server, with the ghost it came out great ... the speed was excellent. When i finally upgraded my original HDD the same slow-mo problem, fortunately i had the ghost of the win2k server to save the day.

more over i had random problems when testing win2k3 on my home pc, a couple of times the clean install went smooth while on couple of occasions the same problem, i even compared the steps involved with installations, strangly the same steps of installation had dissimilar effects.

WTF ?

After about 2 weeks, I FINALLY figured OUT the SOLUTION!!!

It's a MenuShowDeplay problem and you can fix it with this registry tweak from MSFN:

www.msfn dot org/win2k3/tweaks.htm

(Last one at bottom, it's "Problem with MenuShowDelay")

NOTE: THIS REGISTRY TWEAK only applies to the current user, so if you have more than 1 user(other than administrator) you need to login with the other user, and reapply the reg. tweak so it works for the other user.

Now I FINALLY fixed my problems in Windows Server 2003...

=) :D

one side note: WTF??? The neowin forum thinks the MSFN url is SPAM... (replaces the real url with spam...) now FIXED above...

(replace dot org with the real .org since neowins forum is messed up with the url's.)

sorry... but also didn't fix the problem for me.. error still remains.. meanwhile I've also tested Enterprise Corp German.. but still nothing changes...

yeah I think he's talking about another problem I also had. I normally set menu speed to the fastest, but if you set it to the fastest one it takes 20 seconds for a menu to appear. I nearly formatted cos of that one. Set it one down and the menu is instant (how i like it)

- When killing a service 2k3 needs to run it shuts down in 30 seconds.. but in this time the the taskbar and desktop occurs (when u kill the service at the beginning...)

I just tried doing this, it worked, then I ran "shutdown /a" and aborted the shutdown. Quick windows bootup, however it didn't show applications in the taskbar plus a few other things, so not a fix. just a way to maybe do something if you are gonna reboot again straight away (install more drivers...)