Want to buy a 40" but worried about being too big

Ok i am thinking of buying a SAMSUNG LE40A756 40" TV which is currently on offer at Currys for ?799 + A free BluRay player included.

There is codes to get it down to ?759 which is very good.

Anyway more to the point. My parents just got this for the living room and we are sitting about 6 feet away and the quality is very good in that distance. I now want to consider buying one for my room but i have to admit my room is quite small. I have thought about putting on my large corner table and i will position it so i can watch HD TV shows and gaming from sitting on my bed. The total viewing distance is about 5.5 feet which is about the most i can get. Is this a reasonable distance or is this being ridiculous? I already have a 24" Monitor but i consider this too small for gaming and i sit about 2.5 Feet away from it when gaming and watching.

I would consider at 3" but it's the same price but with no Blu-Ray player included free.

If anyone can give an honest answer that would be great.

Might be a bit big for a room, you could always get a 32" or 37" instead, however you'll generally get used to whatever you have. I've got a 32" TV in my room and wouldn't mind a bigger one.

I felt that way when I first got my 46" (viewing distance 8') but you soon stop thinking about that and start enjoying the pure awesomeness of it.

I've even sat right in front of it a few times playing racing games, to get that arcade feel.

Go for it, you'll love it.

Might be a bit big for a room, you could always get a 32" or 37" instead, however you'll generally get used to whatever you have. I've got a 32" TV in my room and wouldn't mind a bigger one.

I see what you are saying. How far are you away from where you sit and where the TV is? I thought my 24" was fine 11 months ago but its far too small for me now to game and watch really and i only sit like 2 feet away from it.

The reason i think this is good to go for is i can sell the player on ebay since i already have a PS3 so it won't feel like i paid much for it.

try something around 32" (best bet)

i find that 6 feet is better with 40 inch.. but only 2 feet and 40 inch.. well if u wanna have glasses that bad.. go on :p

My wife's uncle had a 60 " TV in a room that was smaller than 8x10.. It was like sitting in the first row at a movie. A 32-37 inch would be perfect.

It won't be that bad. 5.5 Feet is quite abit and i know i am pushing put but surely i will get used to it after awhile?

try something around 32" (best bet)

i find that 6 feet is better with 40 inch.. but only 2 feet and 40 inch.. well if u wanna have glasses that bad.. go on :p

I am almost at 6 Feet really so its not that far off. I meant i sit 2 Feet while on my chair to gaming on my 24" am really close to it normally. I would sit on my bed and game/watch at about 5.5 feet.

I would have the TV to the right on the table and to the left is my bed and sitting far back is 5.7 Feet in total.

post-73450-1226876818_thumb.jpg

yea 40" may be a bit too big for that room lol

I don't think i fully agree. I just moved my computer unit under the table and i now have alot more room. I think 40" is pushing it abit but its so close that 37"-40" isn't going to make much difference really.

Why do you have 2 360s?

LOL well i had the white one RLOD on me and i brought a new Elite but i sent it to MS and they fixed it so i ended up with two. I'lll probably give it to my sister as i don't use it as much now. More like a back up unit.

That is pretty much the distance i will have in the picture.

What's at the foot of your bed? Is there a wall there, that you could mount the TV on?

I did consider that move but its alittle smaller 5ft if i mounted it at the foot of my bed on the wall.

post-73450-1226878227_thumb.jpg

LOL well i had the white one RLOD on me and i brought a new Elite but i sent it to MS and they fixed it so i ended up with two. I'lll probably give it to my sister as i don't use it as much now. More like a back up unit.

Ahhh :blush:

I'd go with the 40!

I'd also consider a lick of paint, the dark red bezel on the TV is gonna clash pretty bad with the colour of you walls :laugh:

I have a 42" and even though my room is pretty damn big, I still creep the couch closer and closer to the TV because I can :laugh: No point in getting a big TV if I have to move further away?! Could've gotten a 20" LCD and taped it to my face then.

Get the 40", think it's too big for a week or two and then realise you should have gone with a 50" instead.

By the way, loving the carpet (Y)

Edited by Sethos

I have a 42" and even though my is pretty damn big, I still creep the couch closer and closer to the TV because I can :laugh: No point in getting a big TV if I have to move further away?! Could've gotten a 20" LCD and taped it to my face then.

Get the 40", think it's too big for a week or two and then realise you should have gone with a 50" instead.

Thanks dude. I'll sleep on it then make my decision in the morning.

By the way, loving the carpet (Y)

I hope you are joking :blink: I hate it!

We are currently having the house worked on and going to have wood flooring in all rooms sometimes after christmas.

I've got a 40" Samsung LE40F86BD on the wall in my bedroom, using the pull out and tilt from the wall mount it's right at the end of my bed lol perfect for movies and gaming.

Damn the discount code has expired so it's unlikely that i will order it now unless a new code comes out.

Very disappointed. I should of ordered it the first time i was thinking about it a few hours ago. Oh well.

go for the 40''

I find lcd tv's are deceptive and don't take as much room as you'd expect. Besides, you'd only want a bigger one next year.

That was definitely what happened with my dorm room tv. I was worried that my Samsung 32A550 was going to be too big, but it turns out that I could have definitely gone a lot bigger if I wanted.

It won't be that bad. 5.5 Feet is quite abit and i know i am pushing put but surely i will get used to it after awhile?

I am almost at 6 Feet really so its not that far off. I meant i sit 2 Feet while on my chair to gaming on my 24" am really close to it normally. I would sit on my bed and game/watch at about 5.5 feet.

I would have the TV to the right on the table and to the left is my bed and sitting far back is 5.7 Feet in total.

Nice use of space man :)

I'd say you might be better off with a 32 or 37 incher. Check other shops, they might have them at a better price (amazon.co.uk)