What should I do with my CRT TV?

Ok, you all probably know that I?ve been looking into buying an HDTV for months. Well, let me explain the real reason why it?s taking me so long. A little over a year ago, my 13? TV was starting to go, so I needed to replace it. Since HDTVs were still extremely expensive at the time for me, I decided to get a nice cheap CRT. I found a nice 20? Samsung Slimfit SDTV on sale for $200. Anyways, since day one, I?ve been experiencing some slight flickering problems when watching. Now, that HDTVs are MUCH cheaper, I can?t get one because I already have this 20? TV that I bought over a year ago. I can?t sell it on Ebay or anything because it flickers and the buyer will just get mad at me. I can?t throw it out because it?s only a little over a year old and it would just put my $200 down the drain. I also can?t put it in another room because I have a small apartment we don?t have any extra room for another TV. So, this is why it?s taking my forever to get an HDTV. I have no idea what to do with this Samsung Slimfit I bought. So, the question is: what should I do with it? If I can?t sell it, throw it out, or move it, am I stuck with it until it breaks down (if it ever does)?

... Anyways, since day one, I?ve been experiencing some slight flickering problems when watching.

Frankly, that's your own fault. You should have brought it back to the store when you found the defect. Now you have a crappy flickering TV to sell.

Either keep it as a TV in some other room, or sell it for a low price.

Do you know any stupid people you don't like and who would buy it from you?

lol, nah. They all want HDTVs now. They're all waiting until next year to get one. To prove that they're stupid, they think HDTVs will be dirt cheap in Feb. 2009. People who think that the analog-to-digital transition has anything to do with HDTVs and their prices are stupid.

Frankly, that's your own fault. You should have brought it back to the store when you found the defect. Now you have a crappy flickering TV to sell.

Either keep it as a TV in some other room, or sell it for a low price.

You have any idea how hard it is to lug that heavy thing back to store? The TV was working and everything. Minor flickering wasn't enough to make me want to lug that heavy TV back to the store. That's precisely why I started that thread asking people why they buy huge HDTVs. If you but a 60" HDTV and it's defective, how are you going to bring that back? But if you got 32" or smaller, returning it would be a breeze.

What's the duration of the warranty?

Send it for repair if it flickers that much. Then sell it.

I tried calling the warranty. Stupid Samsung wouldn't send a repair guy over. They want me to lug it to their repair place. If I was so willing to lug around a heavy CRT, I would've brought it back to the store for a full refund.

You'll have the same problem if you want to sell it. Call a cab and send the bill to Samsung lol

Edited by Lechio

What's the duration of the warranty?

Send it for repair if it flickers that much. Then sell it.

I tried calling the warranty. Stupid Samsung wouldn't send a repair guy over. They want me to lug it to their repair place. If I was so willing to lug around a heavy CRT, I would've brought it back to the store for a full refund.

Just put on Craigslist.... put in the ad "AS IS"... on a side note.. how heavy could a 20" crt actually weigh... my friend and I had to carry a 32" Sony Wega so if you really need to get rid of it.. I am sure you could just go put it on the curb... someone will take it... I promise...

lol, nah. They all want HDTVs now. They're all waiting until next year to get one. To prove that they're stupid, they think HDTVs will be dirt cheap in Feb. 2009. People who think that the analog-to-digital transition has anything to do with HDTVs and their prices are stupid.

You have any idea how hard it is to lug that heavy thing back to store? The TV was working and everything. Minor flickering wasn't enough to make me want to lug that heavy TV back to the store. That's precisely why I started that thread asking people why they buy huge HDTVs. If you but a 60" HDTV and it's defective, how are you going to bring that back? But if you got 32" or smaller, returning it would be a breeze.

yeah but at the end of the day you paid for a working product... INSANE :p.. unless you got money to throw away!

put it on some skateboards ;)!

dude it's a 20" tv, REALLY easy to take back lol

Blow it up.

No, but seriously, you could probably sell it for parts pretty easily. Try eBay or Craigslist and it should go pretty quick.

Blow it up.

No, but seriously, you could probably sell it for parts pretty easily. Try eBay or Craigslist and it should go pretty quick.

Yeah, that's probably what I'll do. What do you think is a good price? $100? $150?

It's a CRT, not an LCD. 20" CRT is heavy. I like to see you walk down the street carrying that thing.

I know it's a CRT, i did read your post. A 20" CRT is still pretty light, they start being a bit big around 27" and after that it's erally hard to carry (I had a 30" HD CRT and THAT was hard to carry.....yet when I had to problem with it I still took it back to the store....)

craigs list ad

20 INCh crt tv... minor flicker problem

I bought this tv just a little over a year ago... and its started flickering might be of some use to someone who can come and get it

100 dollars or best offer

I found a nice 20? Samsung Slimfit SDTV on sale for $200.

geeze a year and 3 months ago i picked up a 19 inch digital crt tv with rca and s video jacks for $119.99 and it still works great

and im sure the difference in a 19 and 20 inch isnt that insanely much unless you are just not the strongest man alive or are disabled

also di you have any friends you could call over? say hey come over i need some help getting this tv back to the sam sung

craigs list ad

20 INCh crt tv... minor flicker problem

I bought this tv just a little over a year ago... and its started flickering might be of some use to someone who can come and get it

100 dollars or best offer

I may just try Ebay as I've been selling on that site for years and I've had good experience there. I may price it at $100-150 with a Best Offer option.

Wow. I just checked Ebay and people are only buying this TV for around $60-80 with free shipping. That's too low to sell it for. I was hoping to sell it for at least $100. If I'm only selling it for $60-80, I might as well just throw it out. Looks like I'm stuck with it.

You know, it shocks me how this set still work after a year even though it flickers. Looks like this defect isn't affecting the sets longevity. I wonder what the hell is wrong with it anyway.

I may just try Ebay as I've been selling on that site for years and I've had good experience there. I may price it at $100-150 with a Best Offer option.

I don't understand you....you say the tv was too big to take back to the store yet you're willing to sell it on ebay? Did you think how much it's going to cost to ship that anchor?

Do as other people have suggested and post an ad on your local craigslist

How about Goodwill, or donate it to a school or daycare? It is worthless to you, but they will get some use out it.

I doubt anyone wants it. If I don't want it, then I doubt nobody does.