What should I do with my CRT TV?

I doubt anyone wants it. If I don't want it, then I doubt nobody does.

not true, there's always people who are worst off than you are. Some people can't afford a tv at all so they would be happy to have your tv for free

Looks like this defect isn't affecting the sets longevity. I wonder what the hell is wrong with it anyway.

If only there were people who you could call that would come and have a look and give you a quote to fix it, and even carry it in their own vehicle to their repair shop. Something like a TV repair service. If only they existed. Oh wait....

If you don't know what's wrong with it, how do you know it's not a quick fix for someone who knows what they're doing? You almost seem to be finding excuses to keep it.

If only there were people who you could call that would come and have a look and give you a quote to fix it, and even carry it in their own vehicle to their repair shop. Something like a TV repair service. If only they existed. Oh wait....

If you don't know what's wrong with it, how do you know it's not a quick fix for someone who knows what they're doing? You almost seem to be finding excuses to keep it.

Exactly. Just getting a diagnosis for the problem would be great. But the problem is, I can't get anyone to come. The Samsung warranty doesn't send repairmen to houses with people that have a less than 27" TV. And calling a TV repair service to come over would cost like $200+. Might as well just get a new TV then. It's called a cost-benefit analysis. That's why I have these "excuses."

You must be new around here in the Home Theater Discussion.... he makes posts, waits for responses that make the most sense... then he does nothing with the info and go against what everyone said to do.

And calling a TV repair service to come over would cost like $200+. Might as well just get a new TV then. It's called a cost-benefit analysis. That's why I have these "excuses."

Then things must work differently there to here. I can call a guy out who will take my TV and give me a quote on what it will cost to fix it. for next to nothing. I can then deduce, based on what he quotes, whether it's worth fixing or not. If not, I can let him keep it for parts, or pay him about a tenner for looking at it, if anything.

You must be new around here in the Home Theater Discussion.... he makes posts, waits for responses that make the most sense... then he does nothing with the info and go against what everyone said to do.

he should be blocked from the subforum...

Ok, so I admit. I do that. I post questions to get advice. Forgive me if I don't jump and do what all of you people say. I listen to the advice people give me and decide from there on whether I should do it or not. No offense, but you people are just complete strangers. So, it's only normally that I'm hesitant sometimes. I'm not going against what anyone is saying. I even was considering selling the TV like what most of you suggested. But when I browsed through Ebay, the TV wasn't selling for much. Again, cost-benefit approach!! Would I rather spend time selling a CRT for $60 with free shipping, making little to no profit or just trash it?

And can you blame me for not being so fast in taking people's advice. I mean, look at some of the responses I got:

"sledgehammer"

"Do you know any stupid people you don't like and who would buy it from you?"

"Now you have a crappy flickering TV to sell."

"put it on some skateboards"

"You own a skateboard? Tie the TV around one..."

"Boat Anchor?"

"You serious? When I was 12 I could carry my 24" CRT with no problems."

And again, I'll repeat. I'm considering selling it on Ebay. But I'm not at home now. So, I can't sell it right now. First, I have to go home, take some pictures, write up a description and find a big box to ship that TV in. That'll take about a week, especially since I need to look around for a big box.

Edited by xraffle

Frankly, that's your own fault. You should have brought it back to the store when you found the defect. Now you have a crappy flickering TV to sell.

Either keep it as a TV in some other room, or sell it for a low price.

Bingo.

Ok, so I admit. I do that. I post questions to get advice. Forgive me if I don't jump and do what all of you people say. I listen to the advice people give me and decide from there on whether I should do it or not. No offense, but you people are just complete strangers. So, it's only normally that I'm hesitant sometimes. I'm not going against what anyone is saying. I even was considering selling the TV like what most of you suggested. But when I browsed through Ebay, the TV wasn't selling for much. Again, cost-benefit approach!! Would I rather spend time selling a CRT for $60 with free shipping, making little to no profit or just trash it?

I once had a 32" Samsung CRT fail on me.

It was very heavy, but I took it to the store like normal people do in these situations. You know, TV + car + 10 minute drive?

How did you take it home in the first place anyway? Did they build it inside your room?

And can you blame me for not being so fast in taking people's advice. I mean, look at some of the responses I got:

"Now you have a crappy flickering TV to sell."

:D That was my post.

And it is 100% accurate and sound.

You lived with the flicker, so now you gotta sell it with a flicker (or pay to repair it). Optionally, as I mentioned, to avoid the loss in selling, re-use it in a different room.

Lol, this topic has me bustin up laughin in the library.

Lookin foward to the next topic xraffle.

:D That was my post.

And it is 100% accurate and sound.

You lived with the flicker, so now you gotta sell it with a flicker (or pay to repair it). Optionally, as I mentioned, to avoid the loss in selling, re-use it in a different room.

A lot of friends and relatives thought I was crazy and being too anal for being bothered by a minor flicker. They claim that they don't notice it and that no TV out there is perfect. I was starting to believe them but people here are on my side. I guess my friends and relatives are wrong. I'm not anal after all. Flickering TV=crap, according to you and me.

Lol, this topic has me bustin up laughin in the library.

Lookin foward to the next topic xraffle.

I don't know why my threads cause sooo much trolling. Nothing in my original post was flamebait. Oh well, I guess the members on this site are just immature and the moderators don't do anything about it. If the moderators want to punish me, that's fine. All I got to say is that if they do, they're supporting the trolls because there is nothing that I posted here that instigated this kind of behavior.

you got a 20" tv delivered? :blink:

A 20" TV may not seem so big, but when it's inside the box, it's huge. It wouldn't even fit in my car. And Best Buy isn't exactly walking distance from my house, ya know. Wow, getting a 20" TV delivered is a crime now?? Am I going to get banned for that too? Unbelievable! Just unbelievable!!!! :no:

OK, so now how did this thread get off-topic now. I already said I was going to sell it on Ebay. What else are you guys looking for? Come on, let me know. Whatever you say, I'll do.

Edited by xraffle

A 20" TV may not seem so big, but when it's inside the box, it's huge. It wouldn't even fit in my car.

You must drive a go-kart for sure. Seriously, a 20" TV?

You must drive a go-kart for sure. Seriously, a 20" TV?

I forgot to mention that I couldn't find the TV in the store anyway. They were out of stock, so I ended up ordering it at Best Buy online. Shipping was free too and was cheaper online ($50 cheaper, to be exact). So I don't see the harm in having it delivered.

Edited by xraffle

Ok ok. Enough. I got my 20" TV delivered. So shoot me. What's done was done and cannot be changed. Now let's get back to the main topic. This is getting way out of hand. If/when I get my 32" HDTV, I will buy it in the store. But first, I have to figure out what to do with my old TV (which is what this thread is about, btw).

I forgot to mention that I couldn't find the TV in the store anyway. They were out of stock, so I ended up ordering it at Best Buy online. Shipping was free too and was cheaper online ($50 cheaper, to be exact). So I don't see the harm in having it delivered.

Oh, now you are just digging yourself into a deeper hole! :p

Best Buy Return Policy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?i...d=1218031738832

Online Return Policy

You may return merchandise purchased at BestBuy.com if it meets the guidelines below. Not all products are returnable to the store. If you would like to return a major appliance, TV, accessory or furniture delivered via special delivery, please call Customer Care at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289).

Sounds like big "delivery" items they can arrange for possible pickup if you call (or at least you can call and plead your case for exchange).