What should I do with my CRT TV?

Optionally, as I mentioned, to avoid the loss in selling, re-use it in a different room.

That's what I'll probably do, but first, I have to wait for those TVs to break, lol. I have three rooms and three TVs. One room has this TV. The second room has a 20 year old Sony Trinitron that refuses to break down. The third room has a 10+ year old Samsung TV. I have no idea how those TVs last sooo long, but I know they don't make 'em this anymore. Hopefully, one of them will eventually go and I'll just replace it with this one and buy my new HDTV. :D

It's a CRT, not an LCD. 20" CRT is heavy. I like to see you walk down the street carrying that thing.

lmao only last night was a i carrying a 32" CRT with no problems at all! i actually thought it was quite light :s

Oh, now you are just digging yourself into a deeper hole! :p

Best Buy Return Policy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?i...d=1218031738832

Sounds like big "delivery" items they can arrange for possible pickup if you call (or at least you can call and plead your case for exchange).

I'm pretty sure they would laugh and tell him he needs to bring it in himself :rofl:

lmao only last night was a i carrying a 32" CRT with no problems at all! i actually thought it was quite light :s

32" is light!! Now I can understand some people thinking 20" is light, but 32"??!! My 27" Sony Trinitron weighs a ton. When my cousin's 27" TV broke, he told me his was SUPER heavy. Even his 46" HDTV is MUCH lighter.

a 50" plasma and a 27" Trinitron are both about 90lbs.

Then a 32" CRT has got to way at least 110lbs. So I guess some people here feel that 100lbs+ is light. :/

Wow, of all the years CRTs have been out, I never thought of them as portable devices. ;)

Then a 32" CRT has got to way at least 110lbs. So I guess some people here feel that 100lbs+ is light. :/

Wow, of all the years CRTs have been out, I never thought of them as portable devices. ;)

no, you just think of them as these massive immovable objects that require months of planning to figure out how to move it.... I do hope that you never have to move out of your current house/apartment/condo because you seem to put a negative spin on everything.. even when it comes to something so simple as moving a 100 lb object. what if you have to move furniture? a bed? do you see that as an impossible feat as well?.. do yourself a favor... just give your tv a few good kicks and hope that it breaks... throw a sheet over it and put a nice 32" lcd on top of it... this will solve all of your problems... you wont have to move the crt, its broke so you dont have any reason not to get the hdtv, and you will have a free tv stand... problem solved!

no, you just think of them as these massive immovable objects that require months of planning to figure out how to move it.... I do hope that you never have to move out of your current house/apartment/condo because you seem to put a negative spin on everything.. even when it comes to something so simple as moving a 100 lb object. what if you have to move furniture? a bed? do you see that as an impossible feat as well?.. do yourself a favor... just give your tv a few good kicks and hope that it breaks... throw a sheet over it and put a nice 32" lcd on top of it... this will solve all of your problems... you wont have to move the crt, its broke so you dont have any reason not to get the hdtv, and you will have a free tv stand... problem solved!

No, they're not "impossible" to move. It's just not exactly something I like doing as a hobby. If I can avoid it, why not? So, if a free delivery is offered to me, why not take it? If shipping cost a fortune, then yeah, I would rather take the TV set home myself. Ok, so now what does any of this have to do with my original question? I'm asking how to get rid of this set since it's possibly defective, not because it's heavy. Its weight was an issue BEFORE I bought the set. Now that I got the set, it's not an issue anymore because I want the set off my hands. Man, I love the knowledge you all have. I ask a question on how to sell a defective TV and all I get is nagging responses on why I had my TV delivered when I bought it last year.

I kind of wish that a moderator would just close the topic. My question was resolved some time ago and people are now just rambling on about nonsense nagging me about the way I choose to buy my TVs. I'm either going to sell it on Ebay or put it in another room. So, my issue is resolved. This topic can be closed now. Some forums allow OPs to close their topics. I wish this site had that feature.

Edited by xraffle

It's a CRT, not an LCD. 20" CRT is heavy. I like to see you walk down the street carrying that thing.

this thread is bloody hilarious, your better than jonathon nelson in the jokes section

buddy give your tv to a local church, op-shop, put it in another room( dont forget the forklift.... ;) ), or if your tight as the case seems to be sell it for parts at a tv repair shop and you can probably get them to crane it out as well...

hope you find thr right tv to replace your samsung :)

hope you find thr right tv to replace your samsung :)

I plan on buying a Samsung to replace my Samsung. ;)

markjensen was right, though. I should've returned it when I had the chance. I've learned my lesson now. I’ll probably just end up keeping it. The loss from selling it or donating it is just not worth it. If one of my older TVs in my other rooms break, I’ll replace it with this one. Until then, I’ll just deal with this flicker. After all, if it’s flickering, how much longer can it last? If you think about it, I would be better off waiting until it breaks. Because if I sell it now, I lose some money and I’ll pay more for an HDTV to replace it. However, if I wait until it breaks down, I’ll get good use out of the TV and HDTVs will be cheaper by that time.

Edited by xraffle

Whoa! I just went to Best Buy and saw this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218007841626

A 32" HDTV for only $500 and according the reviews, the quality is good for the price. Can HDTVs get any cheaper? After seeing this, I may buy one of those brands (like Sharp) instead of a Samsung. Samsung seems to charge a lot for their TVs and I don't the quality is THAT much better.

Whoa! I just went to Best Buy and saw this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218007841626

A 32" HDTV for only $500 and according the reviews, the quality is good for the price. Can HDTVs get any cheaper? After seeing this, I may buy one of those brands (like Sharp) instead of a Samsung. Samsung seems to charge a lot for their TVs and I don't the quality is THAT much better.

cool nice find.. not exactly top spec, but cant moan for that price.. grab it while ya can (if you can)

careful though, might be heavy ;) lol

Anyways, back to my original problem, which is my flickering TV. I'm not even sure if the problem is all that severe for me to go nuts and figure out how to get rid of it. Personally, I don't think the flicker is that bad, but what bothers me is that it is noticeable (at least to my eyes, it is). If you want more description about my problem, I went more into detail about it on this thread: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...=637907&hl=

If any of you happened to have that TV, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me if you have the same problem as well.

Yesterday, I went to PC Richards and they had a special Employee discount on all of their items. I saw my dream TV (Samsung LN32A450) for only $588. Now that's a sweet price. I didn't buy it because I was hesitant. The sale ends today though, so I may jump at the deal. Hopefully, they'll have it in stock. :D

If I do get it, my old CRT will just have to sit there in the corner of my room until I figure out what to do with it.

Edited by xraffle

Well, good o' xraffle finally bought himself an HDTV. So, I'm now part of the club. This TV is amazing. This is definitely one of the best HDTV models because even SD content looks amazing. DVDs look stunning and they're only hooked up via component cables. I still have to order some HDMI cables.

Well, good o' xraffle finally bought himself an HDTV. So, I'm now part of the club. This TV is amazing. This is definitely one of the best HDTV models because even SD content looks amazing. DVDs look stunning and they're only hooked up via component cables. I still have to order some HDMI cables.

unless you are using an upconverting dvd player don't bother buying hdmi cables.

My sister's street has two chairs and a sofa on it.

The people were evicted from the house one day, but they left a load of stuff, so the house owner simply put it all out on the street - two chairs, a sofa, a table and I think a lawn mower. Last weekend, only the two chairs were left.

Sell it on ebay, say it flickers, if possible take a video and upload it to YouTube. Start it at 99p/99c and have fun with the auction :) I start everything i have at 99p - more fun for me :)

You can find 27" Wega's on craigslist for >$150 so a 20" with problems is practically worthless. I would just take whatever I could, probably put it in craigslist for $40 OBO and just be glad someone takes it away and saves you the hassle of disposal.

unless you are using an upconverting dvd player don't bother buying hdmi cables.

Yeah, it's an upconverted DVD player. The player I have only upconverts through HDMI. Right now, I'm watching in 480p through the component cables. It looks amazing already. I can't wait and see how much better it'll look when it's upconverted.

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought I'd let everyone know that everything is taken cared. I gave my old CRT to the handyman in my building. He likes hand-me-downs, so I asked him if he wanted it and he said he'll take it. I told him about the flickering problem and he said he'll take a look at it and see if he can fix it.