RocketDock vs. ObjectDock: Why?

I hear alot of people talk about Launchy.. But I just can't seem to get into it, having to type out the program I wanted to launch just seemed like I could get the same thing by typing it in the Vista Search bar..

Am I missing something on it though? Or am I correct?

You are quite correct. My desktop PC is a Linux machine, and I spend a great deal of time in the terminal. For that reason, I'm more accustomed to typing things out and using keyboard shortcuts than waiting for my entire hand to move a single piece of equipment, then clicking to open a menu, move over the right menu item, making sure I don't pass it up, and then moving to the sub-item that I want to click on. With the mouse, it is too much "lather-rinse-repeat" action for me. I prefer to type `firefox' in Launchy than going to Start->[All] Programs->Mozilla Firefox->Mozilla Firefox, even with the zero-delay registry tweak for menu popups when hovering over a menu. The same is said of many programs that I use.

If I understand correctly, a dock has the exact same purpose as the Quick Launch bar: it allows you to easily access your most commonly used items. It is easier for me to type things because I prefer access to most of my system rather than just a few icons, a trait that I carried over from Linux. In addition, Launchy has tab-completion, just like any modern command shell, so if I need to access something out-of-the-ordinary, it's just a few keys away. I also am able to pass command-line arguments too. Once I find a program, and its name is complete, I just need to press the Tab key to add command-line arguments. Just remember that something like Launchy doesn't suit everybody. I disliked Launchy at first, but then I went back to it after nothing else felt right. I did the same with RocketDock because after ditching it the first time, I realized that I couldn't live without the convenience.

My main reason for using Launchy is because it can be used as a power tool. The following line opens up the specified URL under my `WebDev' profile in Firefox, regardless of any other Firefox profile that is already open:

firefox -P WebDev -no-remote http://www.example.com/

Not everybody needs to use that, of course. However, typing `F TAB ENTER' to launch Firefox with my default profile is pretty convenient for me. ^_^

Thanks for making this thread and all replies. I just found out about Rocketdock, and so far its awesome. :p

I haven't used ObjectDock but from I can tell - Rocketdock runs smoothly and easy to load. Takes about much resources as Winamp...

Which would you say matters to you guys more? Performance (smoothness/speed of the program) or how much memory it uses?

Performance/speed of program. I'm using object dock right now it just seems much more smooth than rocketdock.

I like the "I paid for this ram please use it" option.

Edit: Plus I like the weather docklet.

docks aren't practical for windows IMO ,waste of resources . i dont use them

they just bog down the system and raise the likey hood of crashes

docks aren't practical for windows IMO ,waste of resources .

I agree with this. Though I have used ObjectDock, and prefer it over RocketDock.

I prefer that Rocketdock's bounce effect isn't as high and seems better, however, Objectdock allows for multiple docks and with dual 24" screens that is a necessity.

Unfortunately my specs are probably too high to notice any performance impacts.

Hey guys,

For those of you who use RocketDock instead of ObjectDock, why do you prefer RocketDock over ObjectDock.

And..

For those of you who use ObjectDock instead of RocketDock, why do you prefer ObjectDock over RocketDock.

Thanks!

Edit: Please be as specific as possible.

Add a poll to this mate so for us, the lazy, we don't have to go thru 3 pages to find out :)

cheers

Which would you say matters to you guys more? Performance (smoothness/speed of the program) or how much memory it uses?

Speed / performance.

Memory doesn't matter at all to me tbh.

docks aren't practical for windows IMO ,waste of resources . i dont use them

I disagree there, I found having a dock very practical. However, I did have my reasons for it. Problem is I had a crap video card (since upgraded the card though) and I wasn't able to run my games an native resolution and as a result every time I played a game all my icons would get scrunched into the corner of the screen, which I found very frustrating (as I have my icons all around the screen in groups). The Dock allowed me to kept all my icons together and they didn't go walkabout every time I played a game! To crashing and bogging down the system, I never really noticed that, I had no issues at all :D.

Obviously it's RocketDock I prefer :) primarily because it's free :p

Rocketdock FTW. I like the options of Object Dock with different docks for everything and folders and etc, but its too much on ram and cpu.

0-1% cpu (while hovering) and 3mb of ram is too much? What the hell are you running it on a PDA? I prefer ObjectDock. Last time I used RocketDock was quite a while ago and at the time it had a tendancy to crash, hang and generaly do as it pleased. After a couple of years of ObjectDock use I'm sort of biased. It just seems "better made" and rock solid stable. If I wasn't cheap I'd pay for the Plus version but the free one suits my needs fine.

Performance/speed of program. I'm using object dock right now it just seems much more smooth than rocketdock.

Same here. Plus, I can set it to be quite minimal, I don't like very large docks.

Edit: Plus I like the weather docklet.

Never worked with my city. :(

I prefer to type `firefox' in Launchy than going to Start->[All] Programs->Mozilla Firefox->Mozilla Firefox, even with the zero-delay registry tweak for menu popups when hovering over a menu. The same is said of many programs that I use.

Thanks for the reply explaining Launchy more..

But I need to find this zero-delay registry tweak you speak of. That would be great.

But I need to find this zero-delay registry tweak you speak of. That would be great.

Open regedit, browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then Control Panel and Desktop. There you'll find MenuShowDelay, set to 0. :)

• 1 year later...

I have been using OD but have recently started trying RD they both have theyr ups and downs, but for the most part I think I like Rd better. Other than the fact that RD does not show your system tray it is just as good as OD and loads much faster on startup... Someone had made a comment that stack docklet could not be used with OD. this is incorrect just load it into your docklets folder and will will appear in the "add docklets" list.............I have been using it for some time now. but as I said I am probably going to switch to RD....

Also as soon as funds are available I am chucking the entire pc world and heading across the rd to mac......... EMBRASSUR MON CUL Microsoft.....

I tried RocketDock a while ago, I don't remember why but I liked ObjectDock alot more. I completely replaced the Windows Taskbar with a dock... all my open windows, task tray etc is in my dock. I can't live without it! lol

EMBRASSUR MON CUL Microsoft

lol! you spelled it wrong but still funny. i won't say the translation.

I tried RocketDock a while ago, I don't remember why but I liked ObjectDock alot more. I completely replaced the Windows Taskbar with a dock... all my open windows, task tray etc is in my dock. I can't live without it! lol

lol! you spelled it wrong but still funny. i won't say the translation.

LOL close enough thou ;)

LOL close enough thou ;)

Well for me I have to say Object Dock. I've tried Rocket Dock and it just didn't appeal to me at all. I've tried using Object Dock in the past years ago but, I found myself uninstalling it. but now I use it all the time.

Changing icons and such for rocket dock proved for me to be a bit of a pain and has options I know I would never bother using.

Object Dock I feel is much easier to customize for my needs as getting rid of clutter and having to use the start menu for things I do so I'd say it's the dock for me and I have had no issues with performance what so ever it does slow down my desktop load time either. I also like the fact it comes with pre loaded icons too

• 7 months later...

I am using ObjectDock because of the extra features, mainly because I can put up multiple docks. Also, it minimizes 64-bit windows, the main reason why I still can't hide my taskbar. It also has a killer weather docklet. If you would see my desktop, it would remind you guys about Copenhagen. ObjectDock is TEH SHIZ.

I am using ObjectDock because of the extra features, mainly because I can put up multiple docks. Also, it minimizes 64-bit windows, the main reason why I still can't hide my taskbar. It also has a killer weather docklet. If you would see my desktop, it would remind you guys about Copenhagen. ObjectDock is TEH SHIZ.

Edit: Not Copenhagen. I changed it to look even better. Sorry, but I didn't see an "Edit" button or I would edit my comment.