• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Best 42" or larger HDTV for the money?

mrt2    0

Ok so I'm looking to replace my 42" Hitachi Plasma this year and I needed some advice on models of TV's. I've been kinda out of the loop the last couple of years with advancement in the HD TV arena so I don't know what good brands or models are these days... I'm looking to spend no more than $1200 on a TV and I'm looking to get at least a 42" @1080p

So I'm looking for at least 42" although bigger is fine as long as it's within the budget and it's 1080P. I am partial to plasmas as visually they are just amazing to me. I've heard that LCD's have come a long way over the last 3 years which I don't doubt but I went to the local Micro Center and checked some LCD's out and I'm just really not impressed by them at all. For some reason that deep, rich, and vibrant colors of a Plasma just look amazing to me... LCD's seem to be not as sharp as well as the colors seem over saturated to the point where a lot of colors look like they've been mixed with white or something it's just weird... ANYHOW what TV's can you guys suggest for me to take a look at? I'd prefer a plasma but if you can show me a compelling LCD for that price with great quality then I would get one.

I do know that black friday is coming up so if there is a model that's a bit more than $1200 like around $1400 or so, then list those too and maybe the price will drop during black Friday and I can get a deal or something. Anyhow I look forward to your advice. Thanks guys!

LTD    0

Best in the biz currently is Panasonic or Samsung. In any case, you really can't go wrong with these two.

Sethos    270

Pioneer Plasmas, simply amazing (Y)

Own one myself, though they do tend to hit the wallet pretty hard.

( Don't know the US price for Pioneers )

+Audioboxer    2,876

If you get a Plasma: Pioneer

If you get an LCD: Sony/Samsung

My preferences only, but if you want to choose any of those makes, post back and I'll try help you with pricing/models :)

mrt2    0

Thanks for the quick replies fellas! :)

Any particular models within those brands you recommend? Remember after everything is said and done (discounts or what have you) I'm trying to stay at or below $1200...

+Audioboxer    2,876
Thanks for the quick replies fellas! :)

Any particular models within those brands you recommend? Remember after everything is said and done (discounts or what have you) I'm trying to stay at or below $1200...

A good tip to start with would be never take a TV review just off in-shop experiences.

Many times they run crap feeds to the TVs, and calibration can be all over the place. Having a look in-store though can help you, not saying it can't.

The best thing to do is literally write down EVERY TV you can afford at 40"-42", then start the slow and painful process of reading reviews on every set from multiple sources.

Go with the big brand names on a TV, you won't regret it. I've listed 3 above, there are others of course mind you.

I don't have time right now sorry to start listing every TV you can buy for the money you can spend, plus it being in dollars means I need to use sites I'm not familiar with :p But just start looking on websites you're familiar with.

A tip is if you start pricing from say a large site like bestbuy, you can bet you can probably get the same models cheaper, maybe even hundreds of $$$ elsewhere, so be a bit flexible when researching if a TV you see is maybe listed $100-200, even $300 more than your budget.

Once you have some specific models, I'll try help you some more.

Last bit of advice from me is take your time. I literally spent days of endless research before I settled on my TV. It's a big investment, your stuck with it, and doing your homework will definitely pay off (Y)

Also create some time to do your homework, your head will be spinning with TVs. There's so much to look at, COUNTLESS models from the same manufacturer all around similar prices, etc.

This will be a very useful forum for you as well - http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php & http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

jerzdawg    338

I would suggest this one - Samsung LN46A550

That is your exact budget and is a great TV, and ... its 46"

If your wallet can take it... I would like to suggest the same TV in the updated model of Samsung LN46A650 it is $300 more but with the 120 refresh and a few other upgrades (contrast ratio, touch of color, 1 more HDMI) it might be worth it to you. I have the 52" in the 650 and it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. Plus... no tax or shipping from Amazon as long as you are not in NY

Robgig1088    0
I would suggest this one - Samsung LN46A550

That is your exact budget and is a great TV, and ... its 46"

If your wallet can take it... I would like to suggest the same TV in the updated model of Samsung LN46A650 it is $300 more but with the 120 refresh and a few other upgrades (contrast ratio, touch of color, 1 more HDMI) it might be worth it to you. I have the 52" in the 650 and it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. Plus... no tax or shipping from Amazon as long as you are not in NY

The 650 is the tv my dad is getting. His plasma just broke so we went to BestBuy, stood back like 30 feet so we could see all the tvs and that one just popped out. Truly amazing black levels and color reproduction. None of the other lcds or plasmas even came close. Consumer report rated it the best 46" and Cnet also gave it amazing reviews. It is a bit out of your budget (I think newegg had it for $1500 w/ shipping), but personally, I would save up and get this tv. It really is stunning.

_-Psycho-_    56

I don't know much about Plasmas but I've read that they cant do 1080p or even 720p. Can anyone confirm or deny this, so the OP doesn't get disappointed if this is the case? I('ve noticed that alot of times when they advertise for Plasmas the resolution is 1024 x 768).

But as i stated i don't know that much about Plasmas so this might have just been in the olden days ;)

Robgig1088    0
I don't know much about Plasmas but I've read that they cant do 1080p or even 720p. Can anyone confirm or deny this, so the OP doesn't get disappointed if this is the case? I('ve noticed that alot of times when they advertise for Plasmas the resolution is 1024 x 768)

1024x768 is 720p (XGA). And yes, plasmas can do 1080p. In many cases, they actually beat LCDs in terms of performance (viewing angle, colors, black levels), but they use twice the energy, have burn-in problems, and cost a bit more.

_-Psycho-_    56
1024x768 is 720p (XGA). And yes, plasmas can do 1080p. In many cases, they actually beat LCDs in terms of performance (viewing angle, colors, black levels), but they use twice the energy, have burn-in problems, and cost a bit more.

Ok. When i said 720p i meant 1280*720. And i can't recall seeing a Plasma where it said 1920*1080. But then again i've never had to buy one so i could easily be wrong (Which i have no problem with being :p)

Robgig1088    0
Ok. When i said 720p i meant 1280*720. And i can't recall seeing a Plasma where it said 1920*1080. But then again i've never had to buy one so i could easily be wrong (Which i have no problem with being :p )

Okay, gotcha ;) . Also, now you can say that you have seen one :D .

_-Psycho-_    56

Thanks for that :) Now i might buy a Plasma the next time i buy a new tv :)