Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

I don't think it was over-hyped, as I didn't feel it was "hyped" all that much. A lot of people jumped on the bandwagon afterwards though.

There are better movies in bollywood than slumdog.

And? It's NOT a Bollywood movie!

First of all it's not a bollywood film as another user pointed out. It's a british film.

Secondly, it got 11 Oscars not "around 7" as the poster commented.

Thirdly, it was hardly hyped at all in the UK. I can't comment about the hype it got in the US and else where but it was hardly ever mentioned in the UK until the days running up to the Oscars and I found it to be a great film and no where near over-rated.

it's quite amazing what marketing can do!

It was going to be a direct to video release until it aired at the Toronto International Film Festival. Then it was given a limited theatrical release (that eventually widened). Little to no marketing was put into the movie because it was considered to be impossible to market without a major star.

Yes, there are plenty of Oscar winners that are all about the marketing but this film wasn't one of them. I saw the film and I don't think it was overrated at all. Like others who have posted here, I will repeat that it wasn't a Bollywood movie.

[Thread Moved from GD to Movie Ratings]

[Threads Merged]

• 2 weeks later...

It was ok. I don't think it was groundbreaking in any way. It felt like a really long movie, which isn't a good thing. It was beautifully shot, though, and quite humorous in parts. 3 stars.

I think Boyle has a poop fetish. ;) Maybe he directed 2 girls 1 cup.

Was an alright movie, but definitely not worth all the hype tons of oscars that it got. All that made me even somewhat hate the movie.

Just watched it. Charming enough movie but seriously, it is not Oscar material. Any Oscar, let alone picture of the year. It seriously seems like any big studio film, no matter how entertaining, is scrutinized to death, while anything that smells like indie is given raving reviews even if there is nothing special about it.

• 2 weeks later...
Just watched it. Charming enough movie but seriously, it is not Oscar material. Any Oscar, let alone picture of the year. It seriously seems like any big studio film, no matter how entertaining, is scrutinized to death, while anything that smells like indie is given raving reviews even if there is nothing special about it.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I think my mistake was watching it after knowing the film had won a bucket load of awards.

Because of all the hype it was a let down for me.

7/10

• 2 weeks later...

This movie is City of God or Gomorrah's retarded, but not unattractive cousin. Bollytastic, still trying to figure out how this won anything. Its not a bad movie per se but it definitely isn't great and is quite average. A unique plot device never quite overcomes the flat characters, bad camera, and lukewarm acting by the adults.

Plus, in hindsight I really fraking hate the tone of this movie, punctuated by the credit 'dance' at the end. To borrow from Walter Chaw, "[they could just as well have] made a happy-go-lucky triumph of the will piece starring the involuntary residents of Auschwitz in the world's most inappropriate game of "You Bet Your Life". It's the sort of film that wins awards this time of year because it's the sort of film that encourages audiences to applaud themselves for their tolerance of blacks/retards/Jews/homosexuals from the safety of a theatre full of people of the exact same socio-cultural strata."

..... Im speechless after watching this film. (In a good way)

I was going to watch this film before and I was put off by it Im not to sure why now that I think back to it.

But now seeing the film I wish I had watched it back then.

Its absolutely amazing. I have heard something about it but nothing that made me want to watch it as such.

The whole storyline and the cinematography was excellent... What a stunning film :D

10/10

I saw this at TIFF in September, it was the Cadillac People's Choice Award Winner and they did it as a free screening so you didn't need to buy tickets for it; hopefully they'll do another free screening this year for the Cadillac People's Choice Award!

I read the book(called Q&A) long before I saw the film. The book was brilliant and is one of the best I've ever read.

The film was a pretty good implementation with some beautiful and moving scenes. It also had a real energy to it in opening sections and the toilet scene was truly funny.

Well deserved 9/10

I read the book(called Q&A) long before I saw the film. The book was brilliant and is one of the best I've ever read.

The film was a pretty good implementation with some beautiful and moving scenes. It also had a real energy to it in opening sections and the toilet scene was truly funny.

Well deserved 9/10

If you liked Q&A, here's another book that I think you'll enjoy, it's called: Such A Long Journey by Rohinton Mistry; it was also made into a movie...!

I really liked this movie, it is one of the best I have ever seen.

I didn't pay attention to any of the hype so maybe that is why it wasn't ruined for me but I thought it was really great.

10/10

Its a good movie with typical feel good plot of boy meets girl, boys looses girl and finally boy gets girl....

This movie was one of the best movies Ive ever seen, but I probably wouldnt watch it again... To me there are two types of great movies, the ones you see once and are glad to have seen it, cause it was just a great movie, usually drama type movies, but that you wouldn't necessarily watch again. And then there are great movies, that really either make you think, and you appreciate it, probably even speaks to you, like the shawshank redemption, in my case. and then there are really good funny movies, like wedding crashers, that id watch time and time again.

• 2 weeks later...

This is definately one of my favourite films :) Its so well made & the acting is great as well. Reading through this topic makes me want to watch it again.

8/10 - it lost 2 points in my case because i felt it was predictable and the same old love story in it. Other than that superbly put together and flowed wonderfully. Kudos to the dance at the end credits, made me keep watching and let the story sink in for me a bit more.

• 1 month later...

Finished watching this one today.

It was a good movie but it left me confused at bits. I had to actually use wikipedia to figure out in the beginning with the young boys were flashbacks. I also thought the movie could have moved a little bit faster, seemed slow.

The ending though was very good(I actually expected him to answer the question wrong and have the girl come back to him just because she loves him).

I saw this at TIFF in September, it was the Cadillac People's Choice Award Winner and they did it as a free screening so you didn't need to buy tickets for it; hopefully they'll do another free screening this year for the Cadillac People's Choice Award!

I saw it there as well, haven't seen it since then.

If you liked Q&A, here's another book that I think you'll enjoy, it's called: Such A Long Journey by Rohinton Mistry; it was also made into a movie...!

I remember taking a look at that book when I was in Chapters, didn't know it was made into a movie, now I'll have to get my hands on both.