NeowinCAST News Edition for November 20th, 2008

Neowin.net presents the NeowinCAST News Edition for November 20th, 2008. Join Christopher Vendemio (bangbang023) and Rob Wright (Rob) as they discuss the latest industry news while adding a just a hint of Neowin's patented unprofessional journalism. This week the guys discuss the following topics:

• Six reasons OSX will not go mainstream: (read)
  • PSP 3000 and iPhone 3G close to being unlocked/hacked. Should companies still fight the hackers?: (read) | (read)
  • GMail gets themes. What do you look for in a webmail provider?: (read)

Click play to listen to the show immediately or follow the appropriate links to download the current episode. Enjoy, and remember to leave your comments about the show below.

softicon.gif Download: NeowinCAST News Edition Episode #42 (Right click, Save As)

linkicon.gif Subscribe: Via iTunes | Via Zune | Via RSS

Cheers rob and chris (Y)

Can't wait to listen to it a little later

btw chris, i used your speed trick for firefox in your signature, and it actually works.

Cheers rob and chris (Y)

Can't wait to listen to it a little later

btw chris, i used your speed trick for firefox in your signature, and it actually works.

I'm glad it worked for you :) It should work for just about anyone who tries it.

Thank you for being a loyal listener (Y)

Good show guys (Y)

I would like to mention a little about the apple stuff, as a user in the middle (soon to be apple user) and gamer the main reason i held back from apple was their "Up their own ass" attitude, that put me off buying one for a while, they like to make out like they are the best and that puts a few people off i feel.

Got to agree with Brad Sams on the whole issue of OSX not going main stream. Companies definitely don't want to pay more for hardware, just to say they use apple. Also, they can find programmers, and IT guru's for a lot cheaper, since there are a lot more of them.

Also, wheres my shoutout :p

Topics for next week:

NXE (you got to say something about this at least)

Microsoft says No to yahoo once again.

Topics for next week:

NXE (you got to say something about this at least)

Microsoft says No to yahoo once again.

Both were our first choices, but here's the problem: NXE is very gamer centric so it may alienate the non gamers and, also, Rob isn't as interested in gaming so it would be a lopsided conversation. As for the Yahoo!/MS story, there's not much to discuss. We could lay out the facts, but there's nothing there to really say that hasn't already been said. It's not just about picking popular topics, but also picking subjects we feel we can have an interesting discussion about.

I also forgot to through in my 2 cents about the whole unlocking issue.

Companies like Microsoft put millions behind their software like Windows, and their Xbox360. Sadly, both are crackable, but Microsoft can restrict, block, and shut out anyone using pirated software on either their console, or operating system.

As for the the iPhone, and the PSP, I don't companies should really focus on preventing hackers, but just deal with the issues. I did notice Rob, that the 3G was one step closer to being unlocked, as seen in a video on another web site. iPhone could possible be the hardest hand held device to be cracked, as the 3G can't be unlocked, only jailbroken publically yet.

I personally wouldn't of gotten the iPhone if I couldn't use third party applications. Maybe companies should focus on this like Apple tried to do, but they fail to allow just any applications, and decline / remove applications they dont approve of. Thank god for Cydia.

Woo New show!

W00t!

Corris will be happy :p

Thanks guys for the hard work!

lol Corris should be very happy if he listens to the entire show.

Zomg, what is it? :p

I am downloading now while I am writing up a presentation for tomorrow in uni, better be good, this work is seriously lacklustre in fun.

We need Neowin Gamer Podcasts! *drool*

I tried finding people who would do it (I simply can't do two podcasts), but there were no serious takers from the current staff. The talking is easy, it's the editing that scares everyone off.

Corris its worth the listen and it will cheer you up! ;)

I be listening to it now. :D

We need Neowin Gamer Podcasts! *drool*

As cool as that would be, I'm not sure who we would do it but also have an unbiased opinion so it doesn't get one sided or anything.

Though I would love to see you, DrunknMunky and Audioboxer, I'm sure it would be fairly amusing to listen to. :p

I be listening to it now. :D

As cool as that would be, I'm not sure who we would do it but also have an unbiased opinion so it doesn't get one sided or anything.

Though I would love to see you, DrunknMunky and Audioboxer, I'm sure it would be fairly amusing to listen to. :p

Aren't they both Scotsmen? Bad idea then if you want non-Scots to understand the Gamers' Podcast.

Gamers Podcasts could have the tendency to...spiral out of control it will be many takes and hours to get rid of swearing and background item destroying.

That would probably cause some sorta' black hole :rofl:

Aren't they both Scotsmen? Bad idea then if you want non-Scots to understand the Gamers' Podcast.

Andy's ( DM ) Scottish accent isn't that thick and you can clearly understand what he's saying. Plus, Scottish people are cute :wub:

Well I have a bunch of Scottish friends, and I can generally understand them "most" of the time.

but at least the Scottish guys here write on Neowin in a far better fashion, the guys I know write how they talk, and sometimes it makes no sense.

Gamers Podcasts could have the tendency to...spiral out of control it will be many take and hours to get rid of swearing and background item destroying.

Pssh, but thats the fun!

Stick the worst guys in the podcast, then one of the mods with the ability to mute them to control them so it doesn't go too far out of control.

Let hilarity ensue. :p

That would probably cause some sorta' black hole rofl.gif

Totally worth it. :p

Pssh, but thats the fun!

Stick the worst guys in the podcast, then one of the mods with the ability to mute them to control them so it doesn't go too far out of control.

Let hilarity ensue. :p

An hour of silence then :D

Oh hells yes, a mention! :p

So far that is is two Podcasts so far I have been mentioned on.

I was once mentioned back on the PowerUser TV Podcast by Brad Wardell and 2 of his chums that were at stardock at the time, when they were still doing the podcast.

Followed that religiously as well at the time, lol, I'm pretty sure they called me crazy. :p

An hour of silence then :D

Lols.

• 3 weeks later...