Linux theming/Redhat 9 discussion

Uh.. GNU Image Manipulation Program. :p

lmao ok so it does stand for something.. but the fact that the name associates with that part of Pulp Fiction for me is just too scary hehe

that is the hardest part right now, but umm yea...where is the command line? :huh:

Is that just the run dialog box or is it something else...you can tell i am a complete n00b lol you should have seen how long it took me to get mozilla 1.4 installed ;)

what is the best browser for redhat? is it just mozilla? cuz man the size of the fonts are too small and for some reason when i change them in the pref. they dont get saved.

To start the command line, open the run dialog and type 'konsole'

Or, if your in Redhat 9 press the start menu (in whichever environment your in), then I think its in the 'System Settings' menu, sorry if I may be wrong... I'm just guessing since I was last on Redhat 8

Well, that's Windows XP setup and the Partitions all partitioned up. Time to install Redhat 9 :D

Edit, I just noticed, Fat32 Partition labels are all UPPERCASE, damn that really ******es me off :|

You can cut your 60GB data partition in half, and make it two 30GB partitions. That's what I would do.

10GB NTFS (WinXP)

30GB FAT32 (Data)

30GB FAT32 (Data)

9.5GB EXT3 (RedHat Linux)

512MB Swap (for Linux)

I am going to reformat my good ol 20GB (hey, i only got 2.9GB used and I had it for three months)

2.5GB NTFS (Win2k)

7.5GB FAT32 (misc data)

5GB EXT3 (RedHat 9.0)

4.5GB EXT3 (Debian)

512MB Swap (For Linux)

Spectacular Failure.

What the hell is going on? I've installed Redhat 8 and 8.1 no problem. I have no sound or internet. It doesn't recognise my ehthernet card, and when it boots now it tries to activate the ethernet card and just stalls there. So now Redhat won't boot.

I'm in windows now and the display is totally ****** up, the whole boot process was garbled, now this is bad. I'll post a screenie once I've installed the new drivers and restarted. I can barely read what I'm typing!

Anyway, that's beside the point. Can anyone help me with the sound and network in Redhat 9? My mobo is the Asus P4S8X and I that's using the onboard sound and lan. I don't understand cause it worked fine in 8.1 :/

I'm not sure if redhat comes with this installed but open the command line in redhat and type 'sndconfig' ... I think it is that, I had your problem with the sound before and that program fixed it, not sure how to help you with the network though, sorry :(

Just come across this thread:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/sh...highlight=p4s8x

sounds like it could solve my problem. I can do this from any prompt in Redhat?

Thing is, it won't boot cause it continuously tries to activate the ethernet, how can I stop that?

I was going to say go into the services program which comes with Redhat, but if you cant boot then it obviously cant be done :( so I'm not sure where to help you there, sorry :/

Ok, I managed to boot, I just entered interactive startup. I've deleted the ethernet entry in the GUI, but where do I enter the insmod command?

Isn't is satisfying when you solve a problem?

Posting from Redhat 9 people ;) sound is working as well.

How can I get it to automount my Fat32 partitions on boot?

The only way I know is the manual way: add an entry to /etc/fstab as root. Find out what the devices for the partitions are called (probably /dev/hdaX where X is the partition number. ) and add entries. Here is a sample entry:

/dev/hda5       /windows        vfat            defaults,users,umask=0,quiet

You can probably use cfdisk or fdisk to find out partition numbers (starting at one).

Red Hat probably has a fancy GUI for it though.

-Hatter

I logged in as root and fdisk doesn't see any HD partitions :|

When I'm logged in as Dazzla, the CD automounts, but it's not the same for the HD.

Dazzla, here is how I have my windows partitions automounted in Mandrake 9.1, I am sure it is the same for RH9. You will have to edit /etc/fstab as root. open a terminal and type su hit enter, it'll ask for root password. then using your favorite editor(i use midnight commander) and I type ....

mcedit /etc/fstab

then edit as you wish, for mc i then hit f2 to save and f10 to exit. you may not have midnight commander installed though, so try another editor(may have to read up on using in console) anyway, here are the lines for my windows partitions(note, my xp is one master hard drive and linux on slave)

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs iocharset=iso8859-1,ro,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

go here and search for mount or automount for more options. linuxquestions.org

also here is a great program for accessing your linux partition from windows http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/ext2.html

good luck and any more questions I will be glad to help if I can.

Dazzla. this explains in more detail about creating the mount point. I got this from another forum, here is the whole thread

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/sh...t=mount+windows

For automatic mounting do the following. To read the partition go to /etc then open fstab in a text editor and add the line:

/dev/hda1 /windows ntfs defaults 0 0

where hda1 is your windows drive and /windows is the directory where you would like to see the windows drive. You can change the directory to anything you like. Make the directory specified above, /windows in this case. Then do:

mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /windows

replacing things appropriately. Just match it to the fstab. Then u will be able to read ntfs and copy files from it. You could, I think change the permissions, to be able to write but I wouldn't try that. After this every time u boot u can just go to /windows without the mount to access the windows drive. I hope that helps.

:edit here is the correct link for the windows app to access linux drive http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/

Edited by wickedlester

Ok, here's my fstab file now:

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1

LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2

none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

/dev/hda10 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

/dev/hda1 / ntfs defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 / vfat defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 / vfat defaults 0 0

/dev/hda7 / vfat defaults 0 0

Here's my partition setup in fdisk:

Partitions.jpg

And here's what happens when I try and mount a device:

Partitions2.jpg

Hopefully I'm just doing something blatently newbish, anyone care to help out?

Dazzla, if you want to be able to write to your ntfs and fat32 partitions you will have to add umask=0 to your vfat and ntfs entries in /etc/fstab so that they look like this:

dev/hda1 / ntfs defaults,umask=0 0 0

Also, you'll need directories to mount the drives in. A lot of people will mount them in the /mnt directory where you'll find your cdroms and floppy drives. In this case you could creat directories such as /mnt/drive1, /mnt/drive2, /mnt/drive3, /mnt/drive4 and have your /etc/fstab entries look like this:

/dev/hda1 /drive1 ntfs defaults,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda5 /drive2 vfat defaults,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda6 /drive3 vfat defaults,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda7 /drive4 vfat defaults,umask=0 0 0

Hope this helps :)

Hey Dazzla, you can't mount directly a dev.... like /dev/hda9, you have to assign your dev to a directory.

go to /etc and open the file called fsatb, you will see that for example your cd's are pointing to a directory, it should be /mnt/cdrom....

nopw you have to add a line in the fstab like someone else posted in this thread. You will notice that the first entry in fstab is the device handler /dev/cdrom in the cdrom example, and that the second entry is the mount directory.

You have to create a dir where you want to mount your windows drive and state it in your fstab file.

For example :

/dev/hda9 /mnt/windows ecc ecc....

now you can simply type mount /mnt/windows in the terminal and your /mnt/windows directory will be filled with the files!

Hope this helps!