Linux theming/Redhat 9 discussion

Man this is a great thread - the kind of support that seems to be available here is making me want to go ahead and give Linux a try - and I would be a complete noob since I have never ever tried it. Hmmm....

Man this is a great thread - the kind of support that seems to be available here is making me want to go ahead and give Linux a try - and I would be a complete noob since I have never ever tried it. Hmmm....

Well, I'd suggest you go ahead and try it if you want to!... If you get stuck with something, then I'm sure everyone would be willing to help you, it may be a bit difficult to get the grabs with at first and learn but believe me it gets easier as you use it more! ;)

Everyone is a newb at one stage :)

I'd suggest going for it, backup anything important to you then give it a bash, nothing to lose. It'll be a good learning experience as well.

everytime i go to linux i end up switching back to windows, probably because im used to the applications i use on windows plus im a gamer. linux always seems to be calling my name...but once i switch theres nothing there i can really do.

by the way, dazzla: how did you enable ntfs support? did you get an rpm somewhere, or did you recompile your kernel? can you give me a link or something to point me in the right direction? all the stuff i'm pulling up from google seems to apply only to redhat 8.

lol no problem... methinks i'm gonna have to recompile me kernel. ahh well, best to get stuck in at the deep end, eh?

People released RH8 packages that contained the ntfs module for that kernel so I suspect they will do the same for this one. It may take a while for the link to propogate to google though. Maybe asking on the RH mailing list would get you a quicker response.

-Hatter

Just to quickly jump back to the original purpose of this topic, lol :p

Does anyone know much about Linux theming, because it looks interesting and challenging? :)

I downloaded a theme, did that install command in the readme file of it but nothing happens...Do I need to be the root user?

Also instead of logging in as root, is there a way to allow access to this user as well?

Ok, here's my fstab file now:

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1

LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2

none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

/dev/hda10 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

/dev/hda1 / ntfs defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 / vfat defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 / vfat defaults 0 0

/dev/hda7 / vfat defaults 0 0

Here's my partition setup in fdisk:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sherry.pontin.../Partitions.jpg

And here's what happens when I try and mount a device:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sherry.pontin...Partitions2.jpg

Hopefully I'm just doing something blatently newbish, anyone care to help out?

Well, this is utterly late and has already been solved, but here's stating the obvious. You were trying to remount a linux drive, in this case your / partition, which is already mounted. /dev/hda9 isn't your fat32 drive, you want to:

mount /dev/hda7

mount /dev/hda6

mount /dev/hda5

Hey Dazzla, you can't mount directly a dev.... like /dev/hda9, you have to assign your dev to a directory.

You can if you have it in your fstab like he did in this case. It just looks in there for the mount point. But like I said, he was mounting a linux partition.

what are you trying to apply a theme too? kde,gnome,fluxbox? also , I wouldn't recommend giving the user root permissions. you usually shouldn't have to log in on compiling an app or such untill you get to "make install"

can you link me to the file you downloaded, there are several different ways to apply themes in kde. I sure I can help ya if I see what kinda theme you tryin.

Okay, what you need to do is do this from a console window instead of the run command. from within the folder of the extracted theme go to "tools" menu and click on open console, it will open it to the directory you are in. then type the command. I am sure you can do just ./install.sh but if that doesn't work then try sh ./install.sh

if you get errors post them and I will see if I can help more but maybe open another thread topic so we don't get dazzla mad at us :shifty: