Windows Server 2008 - Error Code 0x80070035

Hi,

I am getting the following error when I try to access any share/computer on the network from my Windows Server 2008 DC+DHCP.

Network Error 
Windows cannot access \\ShareServer\Share
Error code: 0x80070035 
The network path was not found.

However, I can access the DC from any other computer on the network. I have already checked the Microsoft KB and found a hotfix (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958285#top). But not all of the symptoms given there apply to my situation.

I am also running couple of Virtual machines using MS Hyper-V which are bound to the one single NIC. And for some reason I cannot enable the Client for Microsoft Networks component on the properties of the NIC. It always gives me "Your current selection will also disable the following features: Client for Microsoft Networks" message whenever I try to enable it.

Any solutions or workarounds are welcomed... Thanks...

Hi,

I am getting the following error when I try to access any share/computer on the network from my Windows Server 2008 DC+DHCP.

Network Error 

However, I can access the DC from any other computer on the network. I have already checked the Microsoft KB and found a hotfix (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958285#top). But not all of the symptoms given there apply to my situation.

I am also running couple of Virtual machines using MS Hyper-V which are bound to the one single NIC. And for some reason I cannot enable the Client for Microsoft Networks component on the properties of the NIC. It always gives me "Your current selection will also disable the following features: Client for Microsoft Networks" message whenever I try to enable it.

Can you ping the server?

open a command prompt and do: net view \\ipofserver

I would suggest you just disable IPv6 on the client.. Which is the listed workaround in the KB article you linked too.

To work around this issue, restart the computer or disable the IPv6 feature.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852

How to disable certain Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) components in Windows Vista

Budman:

The client side was never been the problem. The problem is appearing at "a" DC when ever I try to connect to another \\<machine name/ip>. From what I believe now is some issue with Client for Microsoft Network component, which for some reason I cannot enable (Checkout the screen grab).

However, I can enable it if I have also selected IPv6. Maybe there is a service that is bond to IPv6 or something.

Reboot:

Following are the NET VIEW outputs from the server itself & from a client.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]

Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator.##########>net view \\10.0.0.2

Shared resources at \\10.0.0.2

Share name Type Used as Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NETLOGON Disk Logon server share

SYSVOL Disk Logon server share

The command completed successfully.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net view \\10.0.0.2

Shared resources at \\10.0.0.2

Share name Type Used as Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The command completed successfully.

post-32221-1228130274_thumb.jpg

There is no reason to have IPv6 enabled -- unless you were going to be actively using it.

So this DC has multiple nics? The NC373i is a dual embedded it it not - do you have them teamed? In what mode? Failover, loadbalancing?

Or are you running it multihomed? If so what are the networks your connected to, or the multiple IPs you have?

You can access shares by IP. If you can not find them by name -- do you have netbios enabled?

I guess that you are able to access the shares from a different computer, because from the output of the net view command it looks like there are no shares.

Best to check that the shares exist and test them locally and then from another workstation.

Then try it from the DC itself.

Um no shares?? What do you call these?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for this delayed post, but I have been busy with the deployment plus we had a week holidays to slow things down. Now back to discussion in hand.

I can access any share on the DC via IP addr. & network name. I have no problems from any Clients connecting to the Server. The problem is from Server to any network share. Without IPv6 selected I do not get to enable Client for Microsoft Network. Which is Very Weird.

I do have multiple NIC connection but only one of them have IPv4 enabled & actively in use. Other NIC is active but it is being used by Hyper-V Virtual Machine.

However, I have IPv6 & Client for MS Net enabled for over 2 weeks now & everything seems to be working properly.

Sorry for this delayed post, but I have been busy with the deployment plus we had a week holidays to slow things down. Now back to discussion in hand.

I can access any share on the DC via IP addr. & network name. I have no problems from any Clients connecting to the Server. The problem is from Server to any network share. Without IPv6 selected I do not get to enable Client for Microsoft Network. Which is Very Weird.

I do have multiple NIC connection but only one of them have IPv4 enabled & actively in use. Other NIC is active but it is being used by Hyper-V Virtual Machine.

However, I have IPv6 & Client for MS Net enabled for over 2 weeks now & everything seems to be working properly.

How are you trying to access the clients? FQDN or IP? Via network Places perhaps? If you are running a DC, you have DNS. Are clients properly registering in DNS?

Both ways. Using windows explorer.

Yes, I'm running DNS and yes it is configured properly not just for clients & servers but also for other applications :)

Just to remind you that I have 11 servers in my data center & I am facing no problem except just this one with just this server. & This problem goes away if I enable IPv6.

Some of my friends are sugesting that there might be a corrupted reg. entry which is causing this to happen. But I do not want to take any action that may compromise the server. Plus I am going to drop Microsoft support an email & see what do they suggest.

As for u guyz I just want to thank you guyz 4 ur support & time :yes:

• 4 months later...
Hi,

Network Error 

hello,

I have the same configuration and I have the same problem. Have you been able to solve the problem? I appreciate your help

Regards,

Ramzi

• 11 months later...

Experienced the same issue with Windows 2008R2.

*I was unable to connect to network shares (local or on the network: \\server\share [or] \\ip\share [or] \\localhost\share) --from various places like explorer, command prompt, et cetera

*I could RDP to Server, I could query DNS and other protocols like PING were working, Server was on Network Segment where other Windows 2008 servers had no isssues

*I checked all the normal suspects Firewall, AV

::TIPOFF:: \\localhost\c$ --should exist uness you removed it and if you removed it you should know or know to check, in my case I know it exists and knowing the firewall was down i could not browse myself or access myself so i knew it was a local issue with the host

*I checked the Windows System Event Log: "Event ID 7001, TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service depends on the NetBT service which fialed to start because of the following error: the service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or becuase it has no enabled devices associated with it." Which led me to an old microsoft article for simular event id that occured with Windows 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278658

*I did not not see the NetBIOS over Tcpip driver (made sure show hidden devices was checked in the View drop down menu) but I did notice that there was an issue with NetBT driver (it could not start) so I disabled it then I deleted it then rebooted

*TCP/IP NetBIOS was started after reboot and network resourced (local and on the network) were available.

::This is caused by TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper not being able to start (check Services if runnin and then MS KB above)

::You can replicate by stopping TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service.