Xtorrent any good?

I've never tried this. I went right from Azureus (ugh!) to Transmission. And I love Transmission.

The feature list of Xtorrent seems quite compelling.

Any thoughts?

I used to use Xtorrent, but eventually switched to Transmission. I didn't have any real problems with the application, but it is rarely updated, whereas Transmission is being constantly updated and developed.

There is also a controversy that David Wantanabe is charging for both Xtorrent and Acquisition when they are both based on GPL'd code, meaning that he doesn't actually have the right to charge money. Whether or not this is true, I don't think has actually been proven. Some also say that he's a bit arrogant, rarely noting bugs in his products or responding to support e-mails.

Yea Watanabe is a douchebag of a developer. His apps are nice and polished for the most part but don't expect any help if you have problems. Xtorrent is nice, especially with the built in search. However most trackers don't like it that much. So you will connect to less peers than if you used an app that trackers like. Transmission right now is the top dog on OS X. uTorrent just released a beta version, haven't tried it yet. Transmission is the most polished, clean and simple client so far.

I have done extensive tests with Xtorrent, Transmission and Azureus. In the 10 torrents that I tried (all 10 popular linux distribution torrents and gaming MMO torrents) I have found that neither Xtorrent nor Transmission connect to as many peers as Azureus does. I think the final calculations I did had something like a 40% time saving advantage when I used Azureus. This was 2-3 months ago.

Now on Windows, I use uTorrent exclusively as I've done the same tests there and uTorrent beat Azureus by around 10% or so. Plus it was way lighter to run. Since I don't run any games or other extremely resource heavy applications on my Mac Azureus poses no problem for me there. I am going to do the same test again once uTorrent is a few more versions further than now.