• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

$100-$200 Surround sound systems?

goji    30
Here at UNL I've got standard cable (60+ channels) without a cable box though, just through the wall. So I'm not sure how that all factors into this. So optical to the 360 but that still leaves me confused about just the TV. Is that connected through the connection between my digital audio connector and my vga connector?

As I doubt the basic cable lineup will come with surround sound, you'll just plug the cable cord into the back of the TV, then use two analog audio cords from audio out on the TV to audio in on the receiver. The receiver can matrix surround sound from the stereo feed if you so desire.

+Mystic    10
As I doubt the basic cable lineup will come with surround sound, you'll just plug the cable cord into the back of the TV, then use two analog audio cords from audio out on the TV to audio in on the receiver. The receiver can matrix surround sound from the stereo feed if you so desire.

Ok so that all checks out then. Now back to deciding between the Samsung and the Sony. Between checking out those two I have been trying to snag a coupon to maybe cut 10% off.

+Mystic    10

Somebody clued me into this Onkyo special here. With the Thanksgiving deal and a member's special, I think I can knock a refurb model down to $150.

Lewism    43

Onkyo refurbs are really good value and quality

+Mystic    10
Onkyo refurbs are really good value and quality

I really hope so. I just couldn't let a normally $300 setup pass me by for $140! Ordered two digital optical cables off of monoprice for $7 shipped so good deal all around.

+StevoFC    21

I would just get a soundbar for a dorm.

+Mystic    10

Sadly I looked a soundbars but any of the decent ones seemed to be around the $300 range. Sophomore year I will move into an apartment style so I figured they would work great in there as well.

goji    30
Sadly I looked a soundbars but any of the decent ones seemed to be around the $300 range. Sophomore year I will move into an apartment style so I figured they would work great in there as well.

So why not save your money for a better purchase down the road? What's the rush other than bragging rights?

+Mystic    10

fsdfsdf

+Mystic    10

Woo hoo! Setup was a little complicated as I had never done anything like that before but myself and a friend got it. I have the 360 hooked up optically at the moment and that works. It says it is outputting through video 1.

How exactly do I get the TV hooked up though? I had another optical cable going from the back of the TV to the receiver but there is nothing. I tried turning off the TV's speakers but that didn't do anything either. Any ideas?

Lewism    43

Are you sure it's an output from the TV? It's probably an input. Look on the back on your TV for a sound output.

+Mystic    10

It says right on it Digital Audio Out Optical.

The TV is right here

Lewism    43

Then you should look in the TV options that the output is ON. And on your receiver check that the audio goes with the setting "Watch TV or something". I mean on it's possible that the optical input on the receiver is tied with "DVD" or "AUX" or something else instead of "TV".

+Mystic    10

On the sound options I see mode, equalizer, SRS TruSurroundXT, Multi-Track Sound, Auto Volume, TV speaker, Sound Select (which is grayed out) and Sound Reset.

I think Sound Select is what I want but it is grayed out.

goji    30

Remember you do not need the optical connection if your TV is not outputting a 5.1 signal. Stereo analog cables will work perfectly.

+Mystic    10

So I need just a pair of standard red/white cables (on each end) for the TV then?

GOJI is there anyway to hook it up with optical since I already have the cable?

goji    30

For the analog, yup that would cut it.

Double check your receivers manual for any options you have to setup. Personally I've never had that problem; it's always been plug and play.

Providing everything is plugged in right, and you select the optical audio feed on your receiver for output everything should be ok. I'd double check that you have that channel selected for playback.

+Mystic    10
For the analog, yup that would cut it.

Double check your receivers manual for any options you have to setup. Personally I've never had that problem; it's always been plug and play.

Providing everything is plugged in right, and you select the optical audio feed on your receiver for output everything should be ok. I'd double check that you have that channel selected for playback.

What do I do on the TV's end?

goji    30

You shouldn't have to do a thing as all your doing is routing the audio feed to your receiver which will do the work for you.

+Mystic    10

So leave the TV's speakers turned on with the volume all the way down?

goji    30

Doesn't matter. Effectively your splitting the same signal between the TV and the surround sound.

+Mystic    10

Got it working! I set the receiver to CD and apparently that is what the TV is on? :p

So even though I have it hooked up optically it really isn't going to be 5.1? Currently I have it set to "all channels" to the same thing comes out of every speaker. I know its not true "surround" that way but for TV if I can't get 5.1, does it matter then?

goji    30

Congrats!

It won't be a true 5.1 sound, just stereo matrixed and or repeated on all speakers. If you like what you hear, enjoy. Depending on the receiver, you could edit the profile of "CD" for stereo playback only, but its up to you if its an option.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

PricklyPoo    9

So I'm assuming you got the Onkyo refurb?

Probably a good choice if you did.

I bought a $200 Sony set like you were originally looking at and it was the biggest pos I've ever purchased. I regretted it for a long time and eventually saved up to get a better quality system. There is a fine line between saving money and getting something that you won't want to replace the minute you turn it on and realize how weak / cheap the speakers are.

But I guess you get what you pay for. :/

+Mystic    10

Yes I got the Onkyo refurb for $140 and it is really worth it for the price. I just need to tweak when I'm playing my 360 because I can't find a preset I like (when using dolby digital yet).