Anyone own a Sony KDL-40W4000 here..?

Hi...

Going to be in the market for a good size HDTV really soon and for the size that I want (40") and for the price range I'm shopping in, this looks like a winner. Does anyone have one and can they just let me know how they've got on from not only a performance / quality issue but reliability position?

The TV gets fantastic reviews so I'm confident it'll work excellently but I'm currently debating whether to spend the extra money and extend the warranty - so really want to know if anyone has had one since they came out (Q2 2008) and how they're getting on with it.

Any feedback welcome. Also had some suggestions to go for the Samsung LE37A686 which I can get for the same kind of money - but was advised that this is more of a set for people who want to tweak it to get the very best out of it - which I'm not interested in to be honest.. I just want it to be great out of the box!

Cheers.

We've got a 40W2000 downstairs and a 40V3000 upstairs.

Both good sets, reliability perfect, no issues.

Also had some suggestions to go for the Samsung LE37A686 which I can get for the same kind of money - but was advised that this is more of a set for people who want to tweak it to get the very best out of it - which I'm not interested in to be honest.. I just want it to be great out of the box!

Every single HDTV needs tweaking to get the best out of it.

However on the same note, everyone of them (if we're talking about good TVs in the first place) will produce a decent-good image out of the box. If you're not someone who's obsessed with getting things picture perfect, you probably wont care, but me for example, I'd have to spend a good amount of time tweaking any HDTV I purchase.

How long is default warranty, it a year yeah?

When I bought my 40V3000 from John Lewis I managed to get a free 5 year extended warranty.

40W2000 downstairs is only on a years warranty, and I think it's up by now.

Thanks for the response mate. Apart from the excellent reviews on the set, the other reason I wanted a Sony is because generally they're excellent quality and last ages. Everything Sony I've owned has lasted and lasted and lasted.. walkmans, minidiscs, consoles, etc.

Willing to accept a bit of tweaking to get it spot on but my mate said he spent weeks fine tuning his Samsung to get it to a point he was happy with it and to be honest I just don't care that much...

Default warranty is a year. Richer Sounds have the Sony set for ?699. Marks and Spencer have it for ?899 but that comes with a 5 year warranty and a ?199 Sony home cinema system thrown in so quite a good deal.. John Lewis have it at ?870 with the 5 year warranty. I'm debating walking into my local Sony Centre and seeing what they can do - if I can get it with another year warranty say and a blu-ray player chucked in, I'd be tempted - especially as I could just take it home there and then rather than having to take a day off work for delivery. Will just see what deals are around when its time to buy.

Can't wait to get the Xbox 360 plugged into something that'll do it justice - my current TV is a bit pants and barely does 60hz..

Thanks for the response mate. Apart from the excellent reviews on the set, the other reason I wanted a Sony is because generally they're excellent quality and last ages. Everything Sony I've owned has lasted and lasted and lasted.. walkmans, minidiscs, consoles, etc.

Willing to accept a bit of tweaking to get it spot on but my mate said he spent weeks fine tuning his Samsung to get it to a point he was happy with it and to be honest I just don't care that much...

Default warranty is a year. Richer Sounds have the Sony set for ?699. Marks and Spencer have it for ?899 but that comes with a 5 year warranty and a ?199 Sony home cinema system thrown in so quite a good deal.. John Lewis have it at ?870 with the 5 year warranty. I'm debating walking into my local Sony Centre and seeing what they can do - if I can get it with another year warranty say and a blu-ray player chucked in, I'd be tempted - especially as I could just take it home there and then rather than having to take a day off work for delivery. Will just see what deals are around when its time to buy.

Can't wait to get the Xbox 360 plugged into something that'll do it justice - my current TV is a bit pants and barely does 60hz..

Try getting John Lewis to pricematch lower competitors.

They have a very good track record of pricematching, and it was actually an Argos offer I got them to pricematch with a 5 year warranty.

Argos were doing ?999 for the 40v3000 with a free PS3, John Lewis were like ?1100 or ?1200 but had a 5 yr warranty, with free PS3. Got them down to ?999 same as Argos, but with a 5 year warranty still intact.

The free sound system in that other deal will probably be quite basic. We had one chucked in with the 40w2000, but it was pretty crappy.

Try seeing what Richer Sounds will charge for an extended warranty, but firstly see if John Lewis can price match ?699 with a 5yr.

You can also try the Sony centre, maybe once in a blue moon they'll do a good deal, but I bet it will be more expensive than what you'll get on the web!

Edited by Audioboxer

I don't think John Lewis will price match online stores like Richer Sounds but you're absolutely right that it's worth a go. But then thinking about it they do have physical retail stores so that's fairly legit... if they could drop the price to like ?800 with the 5 year warranty I'd be all over it as I don't think the Richer Sounds warranty is up to much.

I don't think John Lewis will price match online stores like Richer Sounds but you're absolutely right that it's worth a go. But then thinking about it they do have physical retail stores so that's fairly legit... if they could drop the price to like ?800 with the 5 year warranty I'd be all over it as I don't think the Richer Sounds warranty is up to much.

Yup as long as they have a store JL will pricematch most times.

The Argos offer I got pricematched was online.

I've even read about them price matching RGB Direct, and other online only based sellers - Not so much though.