• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows Server 2003 Gaming?

312 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Ryan   

no.

i'd suggest 98se, with plenty of memory and processor speed and a good video card.

Kontrollverlust    0

I don't run it specifically for gaming but I've been able to run my games on it without a problem :D

DamuzZ    0
no.

i'd suggest 98se, with plenty of memory and processor speed and a good video card.

ARGH... all 9x wins are made by satan himself... besides if using a 9x I would choose ME... that's the "best" one of the cursed.... ;p

Besides, to get back to the topic...: Why not using 2k3 for gaming??? There are some good reasons:

- It's the newest final os from MS and so hopefully, the most stable and non-buggy one... (Just dreaming ^^ )

- It's somehow the follower of 2k.. the best MS-OS ever!!!

- Because of this it promises a secure, fast and solid system...once set up the right way...

- I have heared from ppl with higher gfx benchmarks on their 2k3 systems after setting it up the right way as well ^^

So if it's finally running without problems on my system (u kno my tastkbar prob :p) I will also test it for gameing about 1-2 weeks and then perhaps, make it my new main/favourite system.

Edited by DamuzZ

uniacidz    8
lol.. I ****** up 3 different versions of XP in a time of? 2 weeks.. XP is the greatest pile of **** I've ever seen ^^ (sry) Win2k is the "best" win of all... running it for 5 months now, without the system ever crashing fully... It's the most stable OS for gamers available ^^

P.S.: I am bringing als wins to their borders, because I am a hardcore gamer... every week about 5 games installed and kicked afterwards.. oh and don't forget the free and usefull apps flying through the net... there's no day without an installation...

Besides XP slows down dramatically after some time (When finally it's working without errors for some days..)

WOW, that must mean you bought all 3 versions/licenses of XP,

Home - Retail

Pro - Retail

Corporate - Which of course the license is for companies only, yet you aquired it.

AND you have Win2k

Thats alot of cash.:pp

As for crashing all the time, must be the user, no offence. If you have the correct drivers/hardware, it will install with no dramas AT ALL. Once you start playing around in it and changing things, you have more chances of stuffing it up just like on any operating system.

As for slowing down, not fro me, is as stable and fast as it was 5 days ago as it is now.

:ninja::

Edited by Davey

raekwon    0
besides if using a 9x I would choose ME... that's the "best" one of the cursed.... ;p

please tell me you're joking. :laugh:

raekwon    0

anyway, as i've said in another thread . . . buying (or pirating) a server OS for the specific purpose of gaming is stupid, non-sensical, and overall n00bish.

that being said, i currently run Windows Server 2003 (build 3718) for testing purposes on my home machine. when i feel like it, i'll fire up Q3A or UT2K3, and they run without a hitch (but no better or worse than they do when i'm running XP on this same box).

cheers.

jimmyt302    0

listen.... i'm sick of all this SERVER OS crap...

games will run the same on 2003 as XP if you configure 2003 correctly...

reasons for using 2003 over XP are as follows:

1.) newer build with fixes and improved security

2.) none of the crap that XP comes with, like movie maker and the like

run it if you want to, i'm not here going to rip on someone cause they use 2003 as a desktop, do what YOU want to do...

Jason    5
Listen.... i'm sick of all this SERVER OS crap...

run it if you want to, i'm not here going to rip on someone cause they use 2003 as a desktop, do what YOU want to do...

Theres no if you want to, its theft. No one using it for games is going to buy it.

jimmyt302    0
listen.... i'm sick of all this SERVER OS crap...

Theres no if you want to, its theft. No one using it for games is going to buy it.

realize that people are going to steal it, no matter what, can u just get over that

raekwon    0

that doesn't mean "theres no 'if you want to'." people will most certain steal, if they want to. :laugh:

i3iz    0

my 3dmark03 score went up 500 point after installing 3718 which i am a licensed tester for. It is mainly because server comes with everything disabled, and you have to enable it. So you start bare bones, and you activate what you want, where as XP is vice versa. Also with server i noticed once i installed everything i wanted, there is no lag, it has been since the RC2 was put on windowsbeta that i have had it installed. Quite a while i am assuming. RC1 had issues, but RC2 is rock solid and stable, i wish i could try out RTM and see how that is, but i reccomend a legit copy og RC2, it is like 20 bucks on microsoft.com and it comes with office beta2 which is also incredible and rock solid.

p.s. 500 points is a lot in 3dmark03...a lot. try it out if you dont believe me, p.s. i am running a ti4400 on an xp 2000+.

it is amazing how fast this OS remains after adding a bunch of crap. Visual styles. Yz Toolbar. It is a very efficient handler of resources. Much better than XP.

Chrysalis    13

I may consider trying it out as a Desktop OS I am currently on a 98/xp/2k triple boot setup with 2k as my main os and 98 as backup, XP is only still there incase I decided to change back again, there is a few XP gui bugs which annoy me and the fact it is very bloaty, win2003 has the XP interface but it less bloated down so this appeals to me.

1 question tho, I couldn't install partition manager when I was trying out RC2 I got the error that I was trying to install it on a server OS, how do I get round such things?

daoutlawz    0

i myself agree with DamuzZ, i want to try it out because i have had XP running and after a month or so, it gets very slow for some reason, maybe it doesnt happen to everyone, but it happens to me.

i have been running Win2k SP3 for a few months now (actually more) and its as fast as the day i installed it, even with all the crap i put on it :p

but the only other reason i would want to try out windows server 2003 is because you can install visual styles, whereas 2000 u cant. that would be the only reason i would install it over 2000.

Tony M    0

Huh? none of that crap? W2k3 doesn't have any of it? that sound wonderful, aside from the newer build and pos fixes of course.

Joel    27
- It's the newest final os from MS and so hopefully, the most stable and non-buggy one... (Just dreaming ^^ )

- It's somehow the follower of 2k.. the best MS-OS ever!!!

- It's the newest final SERVER, not workstation.

- The follower of Win2K Pro is XP, not 2003 Server.

Funcod    0

]- hum perhaps ill be off topic -[

the only thing appealing in xp was (for me) alpha blending for icons

so i was wondering if i could get a stable OS (like win2k pro: im using it right now)

supporting 32bits application correctly

and alpha blending icon support in addition :)

and this os would be windows 2003 server?

|in short: w2k3 support alpha blending icons?|

Edited by Funcod

Night Prowler    132
well i have tested it and i lost 1000 points on 3dmark 2001

if you are a gamer stay with windows xp or windows 98

Did you install the latest drivers, and turn up your hardware acceleration and enable Direct Draw & Direct3D?

How do you enable direct draw & direct 3d?

wI-OSMAN-    0

i don't care about losing stupid points in 3dmark.

Windows server 2003 Enterprise Editon*CORP* is running fine for me.

NeoMayhem    0
]- hum perhaps ill be off topic -[

the only thing appealing in xp was (for me) alpha blending for icons

so i was wondering if i could get a stable OS (like win2k pro: im using it right now)

supporting 32bits application correctly

and alpha blending icon support in addition :)

and this os would be windows 2003 server?

|in short: w2k3 support alpha blending icons?|

Yes, it supports just about everything XP does :p

Funcod    0

[O.T]

silly_walk tu parles fran?ais?:))

Funcod    0

oh great thx neo

Got3n    39

i cant get counter strike to work in 2k3 with open gl settings and then on top of that direct 3d is running weird and slow.

Joel    27
[O.T]

silly_walk tu parles fran?ais?:))

Oui, je parle les deux langues.;))