Windows Server 2003 Gaming?

312 members have voted

1. 1. Windows Server 2003 Gaming?

• NO
    • YES
    • Windows Server 2003 is FOR SERVERS ONLY!

to enable directx first enable hardware acceleration (Display Properties>Display (the tabe with resolution)>Advance under one of thoose tabs there is a slider to change Hardware accelration. Set it to full. Then go to run and type: dxdiag. go to displa ytab and click enable for DirectDraw and Direct3D

Ok here is what i did. I turned my accel all the way up like you said. (Side note: I installed the 43.45 drivers from Nvidia and i did not get the control panel like I did in xp so i was a little confused) So i turned up the accel and then type in dxdiag, then enabled D3D and then i went to my display properties then into advance, then poof my control panel for my GF3 was there. so i fugred that Open Gl would work now, i played cs in open gl and when i started a game poof BLUE SCREEN OF Death, beginning of physical memory dump. theni played in D3D same thing happened, its not a real loss to not be able to game in 2k3 i still have xp (dual boot) but i would like to know is someone has had luck.

ok I kept my main os intact (2k) and setup win2k3 at triple boot (also win98) but had these problems.

Only sound in directx test but no midi

Normal sound in windows is through pc speaker

CD Audio plays in Windows Media Player, but pc had no net and wmp seemed to crash whilst trying to get on cddb

When I got net working dns wasn't working I couldn't resolve any domains.

Fast User Switching is defenitly not going to work without a tweak app of some sort or reg hack, but I want it hehe.

Bear in mind I didn't really mess with too much using default drivers etc. but the OS to me seems a lot less bloaty than XP and quite nifty, but this needs some work to work as a desktop OS, I will look at the neowin guide as soon as I can.

i cant get counter strike to work in 2k3 with open gl settings and then on top of that direct 3d is running weird and slow.

I installed Windows 2003 Web Edition (don't need all the extra stuff for my gaming rig) last night, used the Neowin guide to setup my system. Disabled IIS. I have a 9700 with Catalyst 3.2 installed and a SB Live 5.1 with drivers from creative's site.

I got Planetside running just fine. It is the only game I've played on 2003 so far. (CS is old :p)

I played Battlefield 1942, HL TFC, EVE Online so far, I'm watching my DVD rips using VMR9 (Direct3D). No probs at all.

My opinion tho is that if people don't know how to use that OS, they should keep their fingers from it!

Ok I have read the neobond guide, I will boot into win2k3 again later on, I should be able to resolve all my issues except the dns issue I had, it might have been a one off but I remember checking my dns server and it was set correctly.

To add something that isn't in the guide the enhanced IE security can be turned off using the add/remove windows components control panel, I turned it off for Admin's so the new default for IE is now medium security the same as Win2k pro.

What? That's the truth.

People who can't even handle client OS issues, like enabling DirectX, creating dual boots, and what do I know, yet they come here and publicy show that they want to install Win2003 and post about obvious problems they run into, which could be solved easily in a few secs if they'd know how Windows works.

Do NOT run a freakin' server version if you can't even configure the client version!

Geez.

What? That's the truth.

People who can't even handle client OS issues, like enabling DirectX, creating dual boots, and what do I know, yet they come here and publicy show that they want to install Win2003 and post about obvious problems they run into, which could be solved easily in a few secs if they'd know how Windows works.

Do NOT run a freakin' server version if you can't even configure the client version!

Geez.

I was agreeing with you. My pet peeve is people asking for non-server related functions for a server OS.

I was agreeing with you. My pet peeve is people asking for non-server related functions for a server OS.

I don't think you realize that the codebases are all the same. The only differences are services and Microsoft disabling kernel functions like number of CPU limitations.

It could have gone easier by just manually setting the security to medium in the IE Options.

Yes but the enhanced security thing is still enabled and I thought people wanted it to act like a workstattion OS, I don't particurly like getting the popup everytime I change from high and all new users will default to high security as well.

We know they're the same, though they're running with different parameters causing different behaviours at certain points, and the biggest concern is that lots of stuff that's needed on a client OS is disabled. And that's a reason why people should keep their freakin' fingers off it! "How do I enable graphics acceleration?" "Why doesn't DirectX work?" "Why do my DVDs skip?" "Why is there no audio?" And so on. Goddamnit! Folks should quit messing with something you can't handle. If they can't find how to enable DirectX on their own, they should simply not mess around with it.

Yes but the enhanced security thing is still enabled and I thought people wanted it to act like a workstattion OS, I don't particurly like getting the popup everytime I change from high and all new users will default to high security as well.

It stored the medium setting permanently here. And if you want something that acts like a workstation OS, install a workstation OS!

It seems that for some strange reason Windows 2003 doesn't like my router running in DHCP spoof, when I switched to NAT I could resolve domain names again, anyone else ran into this problem? I haven't got this issue on 2k or XP.

Tom Servo having read your comments I have concluded your arrogance, I have always wondered why so many problems on here don't get answered by people with high user counts, if your attitude is anything to go by then I have my answer.

Arrogance?

Hmmm.

Yes, I like to be arrogant if it comes to you dumbasses not willing to get the basic idea. This is a freakin' server OS, YOU are not supposed to use it on your DESKTOP! That's the basic point, get it? You don't want to understand it, thus I will annoy the **** out of you in an arrogant way!

I was once myself a promoter to use the server versions over the client ones. But I have been spoiled by the idiocy of a large crowd trying to get Windows Server 2003. Since it requires lots of switching of settings which most that try to install this are unable to find by themselves, and esp. while witnessing the same chaos in the MS newsgroups, I changed my attitude. Can't find how to do your job, don't use the server release. If you're unable to perform simple client OS tasks, then don't touch the bigger release, where everything related to this is deactivated. That easy. But no, folks tag me as arrogant then. Heh. Funny. And people wonder why I'm getting so bitchy till I get tempbanned.

I was once myself a promoter to use the server versions over the client ones. But I have been spoiled by the idiocy of a large crowd trying to get Windows Server 2003. Since it requires lots of switching of settings which most that try to install this are unable to find by themselves, and esp. while witnessing the same chaos in the MS newsgroups, I changed my attitude. Can't find how to do your job, don't use the server release. If you're unable to perform simple client OS tasks, then don't touch the bigger release, where everything related to this is deactivated. That easy. But no, folks tag me as arrogant then. Heh. Funny. And people wonder why I'm getting so bitchy till I get tempbanned.

We all have pet-peeves. And yes, I share the same feeling as you, and I have myself been disheartened by the mob of elitist morons putting their grubby hands all over Windows Server 2003 just for the simple reason that 'it's newer'. However, just because you've got a pet-peeve doesn't justify in any way, shape or form shoving your opinions down others throat and being down-right derogatory. There's a reason why you get temp-banned, and it ain't because of a mis-judgement on the mods end. There's freedom of speech, and then there's just being an prick.

Besides, some of the people on this thread have a genuine interest in gettings some hands on experience with taming a workstation OS so that they can take it with them when they give Windows Server 2003. We aren't born with this knowledge, we have to learn, and this is one very decent way of doing so.

Asking how to play games on a server is not gaining knowledge about how the server works.

And as said before, if you can't handle client OS tasks, go learn then first before touching a server OS. You don't fly planes either if you never even took basic flight training theory (take it here as mastering Windows XP).

Asking how to play games on a server is not gaining knowledge about how the server works.

And as said before, if you can't handle client OS tasks, go learn then first before touching a server OS. You don't fly planes either if you never even took basic flight training theory (take it here as mastering Windows XP).

Heh, I cringed when I saw 'game' and windows server 2003 tied together. :rolleyes: Still, I wasn't backing them up, there is that minority out there looking to learn for the right reasons, but it sounds like you're making this huge passing generalisation on everyone in this thread. What if they don't know how to ask the right question?

And yes, I like your analogy. You could say it's flawed since screwing up a Windows Server 2003 install is harmless where as having a plane go into the ground like a dart because of a lack of knowledge is quite the opposite, but nah, since when that happens the barrage of posts asking how to fix what they inevitably were going to wreck in the first place, hehe. Still, who are we to judge what is worthy to ask and post here on neowin, or anywhere else for that matter? If you don't like the thread and the people in it, ignore it and leave, simple as that.

And yes, I like your analogy. You could say it's flawed since screwing up a Windows Server 2003 install is harmless where as having a plane go into the ground like a dart because of a lack of knowledge is quite the opposite, but nah, since when that happens the barrage of posts asking how to fix what they inevitably were going to wreck in the first place, hehe.

Combined with the fact that people don't use the search button, that's the issue that ****es me off.

Just wait and monitor the Longhorn forum when the first alpha or pre-beta leaks of Longhorn with integrated WinFS come out. You know, the sort of builds that are supposed to be MS internal only. You'll see floods of posts about how Longhorn killed itself or screwed their disk partitioning up, and so on. Same for the D3D DDI based GUI.

Same case will be there. People will NEED to mess with something they know is terribly buggy and/or don't know how to use.