• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows Server 2003 Gaming?

312 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

BananaMan    0
Combined with the fact that people don't use the search button, that's the issue that ****es me off.

Just wait and monitor the Longhorn forum when the first alpha or pre-beta leaks of Longhorn with integrated WinFS come out. You know, the sort of builds that are supposed to be MS internal only. You'll see floods of posts about how Longhorn killed itself or screwed their disk partitioning up, and so on. Same for the D3D DDI based GUI.

Same case will be there. People will NEED to mess with something they know is terribly buggy and/or don't know how to use.

Anyone who complains about an unofficial leak (or official alpha/beta) of any software/OS hosing their system deserves to have a chair thrown at them. Reporting it and moving on is a different story, but anyway.

I'm seeing your point more and more now. The thing I was opposed to was the hostility.

I'm off to bed.. later..

Kanecorp    0

its a server

Chrysalis    13

I have seen no complaints about this OS, just some requests for help of people, asking for help and a complaint are 2 different things, none of the request's for help are not to do with client OS functions.

Airw0lf    0

I just installed Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition and set up to Workstation. :D

I must say..that's an awesome OS for gaming!!!

Battlefield runs much better on Server as on XP.

I think i'll stay at this.

daoutlawz    0

i really dont give a crap if its a server os or not, i wanted to try it to see how it ran, i used to run windows2000 but i missed the XP look, so i heard a few ppl saying that it:

"runs like windows2000 and looks like XP, and it runs games too!!" <<<---- this is what made me want to try it out, and its running good still. maybe it runs good because its got everything disabled first.

and Tom, i dont know bout u but i used to have heaps of time on my hands to go into an OS and figure things out for my self, it was and still is very interesting, but many of us like myself, now, dont have time to do so, when we hear something CAN be done, we search (or even 'god forbid', SOMETIMES ask) to find answers, if u dont like posting answers, then dont.

heck, if it werent for neowin, i probably would of deleted Win2k3 by now coz the shutdown thing would have drivin me nuts..yet it was neowin who created a 'How To" to turn Win2k3 into a workstation..so thanx neowin.. :D

daoutlawz    0
I just installed Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition and set up to Workstation. :D

I must say..that's an awesome OS for gaming!!!

Battlefield runs much better on Server as on XP.

I think i'll stay at this.

yeh, all my games run much better on server, then xp or 2000 ever did...

another reason to keep it :D

Grey$cale    0
no.

i'd suggest 98se, with plenty of memory and processor speed and a good video card.

no i have tired all the os's and the best one is windows 95, i mean with all the updates it's the best, loads in like 2 secs and man the fps are the best...man my multimedia stuff runs soooo fast i love and i recomend it to everyone..everyone...i will even give u free copies..yeah u heard right..free..

"GET REAL"

Fripi    0

why use server 2003...

- I hate XP! it's unstable and slow but i like Win2000 that I use since one of it's beta build.

- more stability than XP (as is win2K maybe even more).

- everything that's useless is disabled on install so you've not to pass 1 day of configuration to speed up, you only have tu waste 10 minutes to unlock sound, directX, ... (see neowin's workstation guide).

- it's new so drivers are up to date and you don't have to spend 4 hours to find all the drivers as in Win2K.

- wmp9 by default so again no 16mb downloadable upgrade needed like in win2K

- netmeeting last version.

- it's fast

So YES it's a server os but if MS listen to the more experienced users who likes a well lock down, secure, fast workstation well they would release win2K3 pro, if not well we take win2k3 server and unlock what we needs.

.....    0
why use server 2003...

- I hate XP! it's unstable and slow but i like Win2000 that I use since one of it's beta build.

- more stability than XP (as is win2K maybe even more).

- everything that's useless is disabled on install so you've not to pass 1 day of configuration to speed up, you only have tu waste 10 minutes to unlock sound, directX, ... (see neowin's workstation guide).

- it's new so drivers are up to date and you don't have to spend 4 hours to find all the drivers as in Win2K.

- wmp9 by default so again no 16mb downloadable upgrade needed like in win2K

- netmeeting last version.

- it's fast

So YES it's a server os but if MS listen to the more experienced users who likes a well lock down, secure, fast workstation well they would release win2K3 pro, if not well we take win2k3 server and unlock what we needs.

I think they intended for users to buy their software, not download it and use it for a Gaming OS

Fripi    0

some have the chance of having it at work, so it's bought.

And as I said they could release a Win2k3Pro version too in the place of that Xp stuff or future longhorn that already looks horrible.

Dissolved    0

im going to try this out for gaming also. ive heard the memory management is awesome. so i dont see why you guys would get off on each other just because its a server os. but its a NEW os at that.

Xp sucks for gamming. mouse control is horrible in xp compaired to 2k.

2k was great for gamming, but just wasnt as fast then XP was at certian things.

So i look foward to trying 2k3 server out in a work config after they get the intellitype software working for there mouse and keyboards.

Btw: 010110, i like your sig :)

Yotce    0

Strange discussion... it is server... it is workstation... Server OS is nothing more but workstation with more services added. So, everyone can play games and everything other on Windows Server 2003.

But, some not yet tested games can run wrong on platform not available towards the game release date. I try to play FIFA2003 on Windows Server 2003, it's run smoothly, but maybe it is not fully compatible with 2003 because gameplay is about two times faster and game is not playable.

hobsgrg    52

I use it as a server but i also run games on it as well and i do find that the games run just as well as XP if not better.

Ricardo Gil    0

I think Microsoft meant Windows 2003 Server to be used not only as a server but also as a multimedia platform. It has DirectX, Media Player and other multimedia facilities. Why not play games with it? Im currently working with it at home, running Apache, PHP, MySQL, and also my other software (Winamp, photoshop, dreamweaver, pagemaker, vs.NET, IE and so on) sometimes I get tired and feel like playing something. Why should I reboot my PC to run Linux or 2000 server, if I can play it right here?? This OS is very good in any aspect, I think. I never used XP to work at home. It looks good but thats it. It only looks like that. Now its like working with 2000 server but better :)

Rudnartim    11
lol.. I ****** up 3 different versions of XP in a time of 2 weeks.. XP is the greatest pile of **** I've ever seen ^^ (sry) Win2k is the "best" win of all... running it for 5 months now, without the system ever crashing fully... It's the most stable OS for gamers available ^^

P.S.: I am bringing als wins to their borders, because I am a hardcore gamer... every week about 5 games installed and kicked afterwards.. oh and don't forget the free and usefull apps flying through the net... there's no day without an installation...

Besides XP slows down dramatically after some time (When finally it's working without errors for some days..)

You got issues if you think win2k's the best windows for gaming..........

epple    20
lol.. I ****** up 3 different versions of XP in a time of  2 weeks.. XP is the greatest pile of **** I've ever seen ^^ (sry) Win2k is the "best" win of all... running it for 5 months now, without the system ever crashing fully... It's the most stable OS for gamers available ^^

P.S.: I am bringing als wins to their borders, because I am a hardcore gamer... every week about 5 games installed and kicked afterwards.. oh and don't forget the free and usefull apps flying through the net... there's no day without an installation...

Besides XP slows down dramatically after some time (When finally it's working without errors for some days..)

You got issues if you think win2k's the best windows for gaming..........

i second that...

Rudnartim    11
my 3dmark03 score went up 500 point after installing 3718 which i am a licensed tester for. It is mainly because server comes with everything disabled, and you have to enable it. So you start bare bones, and you activate what you want, where as XP is vice versa. Also with server i noticed once i installed everything i wanted, there is no lag, it has been since the RC2 was put on windowsbeta that i have had it installed. Quite a while i am assuming. RC1 had issues, but RC2 is rock solid and stable, i wish i could try out RTM and see how that is, but i reccomend a legit copy og RC2, it is like 20 bucks on microsoft.com and it comes with office beta2 which is also incredible and rock solid.

p.s. 500 points is a lot in 3dmark03...a lot. try it out if you dont believe me, p.s. i am running a ti4400 on an xp 2000+.

it is amazing how fast this OS remains after adding a bunch of crap. Visual styles. Yz Toolbar. It is a very efficient handler of resources. Much better than XP.

man should have signed up for the trial. I got RTM of enterprise edition for 180-days Im assuming its RTM though I'm not exactly su re

Zoea    1

yes Win2k3 works fine for gaming. I've got 1GBB mem which probably helps but overall Win2k3 just seems crisper then XP did for me, and i'm using themes this time whereas i disabled the service in XP (just for a change and all :)). I vote a resounding yes: DirectX 9 /latest detonator / Nforce system drivers install 100%, and it def. runs Half Life faster then my WinXP install did, though it's a clean install of course. I'd say anyone out there who has the trial should try it, i hope to stick to it!

an all round OS taht comes with features turned off to make it lean, but has many many features. Great job MS :)

Couple of tips: with Xsetup there is an option to change the mouse refresh rate - this really helped my USB mouse for sure in Win2k. And though I was hoping with this OS I'd be able to change the IRQ setting again, with APCI )something like that!) installed I still cant, though it doesnt put all devices on 1 IRQ like XP did and my stuff is running faster over more IRQs, especially SCSI.

Gotta love this OS.

chaosmaker    0

Now, I'm confused, client or server games or no games, I use it as a game server and the people that play on it say they notice a difference in a couple of areas, I don't because it's LAN as far as it's concerned the way this thread goes I guess I break the rules as far as a server goes in one helluva way?

Premgenius    27

I'd say it's for only Server but never tried pplaying any games so i have no idea

psylockf    0

i must say windows 2003 server really rocks!

it's fast, easy and has great multimedia support

i used to hate xp cuz of all the junk that came with it and also it's memory leaks. so i switched back to windows 2000, but 2003 runs games and multimedia faster than both, plus it doesn't have movie maker and fast user switching and system restore which i hate and i don't use. i can run all of my software and games on it. it's the best "workstation" os ever :)

aceracer24    0

You ever known people that just do things because they are told not to?? Or it can't be done?? Well I am one of those people. I origanally got 2003 for my file server. Was using 2000 but wanted the latest and greatest. Well..after hearing so many flames about using it for a workstation it really pushed me to install on my regular desktop..and i use that for games. Rainbow6 3 raven shiled works great...DAOC works great...Unreal II works great....hmmm seems it works great for GAMES!!! So I am using 2003 for my desktop computer for a couple reasons now..one ..because so many people complain about it...two because it works well as a game machine...and three...WHY THE HELL NOT????

Edit: Forums have gone from a way to help assist people with there problems to being nothing but a place for ill tempered people. So what if someone uses a server for gameing?? How bout all the people having there problems with XP?? What do you tell them?? If they have a game issue with it what do you say?? Umm...it's not for games?? DOH!! ya it is so why the problem?? My point is help people with there problems instead of flaming them because they are doing something YOU don't approve of. If MS didn't want people to use 2003 as a regular desktop then they should have made SURE there was no direct X support or Video card acceleration or anything else that would be mistaken for GAME equipment. NUFF said, sorry for my soap box

Edited by aceracer24

John    7

aceracer24, i'm not flaming you, but i just don't see how someone has this kind of logic. someone tells you not to do something so you do it anyway? i am 18, and i know a lot of teenagers do this, but it's mostly because they like the feeling of rebellion or something. but what good is rebellion? most, if not all of those teenagers will change for the better in the next 5 or so years, so rebellion must not be that good. just trying to understand.

oh, btw, welcome to neowin :)

aceracer24    0

gameguy, your correct that it's stupid for me to do something just cause i am told I should not...I am only making a point that people should stop flaming others for using 2003 as a game OS. Just burns me that instead of using all there knowledge to help..they would rather mix words in a flame.

edit: lol thx for the welcome gameguy :) BTW I am 29 ;) still a kid at heart

tr1kstanc3    0

i thought reading was supposed to be enlightening =P

btw i beta test for MS and i think win2k3 is an awesome OS for everything, including workstation specific tasks AND server tasks. not everybody can afford 2 computers to have one run as a dedicated server for ftp, http, dc, ... whatever it is and also play games. there is no harm in dualbooting and tinkering with the OS for fun, thats how some people learn by breaking things and fixing them. thats why we beta test.

got red hat 9 and 2k3 running great on my 1.13 tbird 512mb g400. really surprised at how efficient and quick everything 'feels'. makes my win2k main box seem sluggish (xp2200 512mb ati 8500) it runs so efficient im considering using it as my main OS, makes me wonder about all the nay-sayers if they've actually touched the product.

here's a scenario for thought:

jim decides to have a lan party at his house, he has 4 computers and 3 friends come over. 2 of the computers are running windows 98, 1 runs windows 2000, and 1 runs windows 2003 server edition. jim and 1 friend jump on the 98 boxes because as we all know, '98 was designed for gaming, NT is for uber-dorks'. 1 friend (who doesnt know much about windows NT products) jumps on the windows 2000 box and is suspicious because 3 years ago we thought 2000 was horrible for games and it was only for enterprise use, however it runs unreal tournament great and hes content. the last friend assumes he knows everything about the windows operating system and refuses to use the win2k3 box saying such catchy phrases as "thats a SERVER OS you noob, why would -I- play games on that thats ridiculous". jim laughs at him and makes him go home to get his server tower box with 21" CRT and 15" LCD monitors with his 9.1 speaker setup running SuSE8.2 and winex for gaming. he cant get unreal tournament to run.

who are you?

i thought of this while i zapped a hot pocket, im weird.

peace =)

Edited by tr1kstanc3