Windows Server 2003 Gaming?

312 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i3iz

GAINED 500 POINT IN 3D Mark 03

comes stock with less enabled....

this was with full sound and everything else.

havent tried the new audigy drivers yet....

win 2k and XP get gunked up within a week

2k3 is still going strong....and as for price

i reformat every 6 months anyway, so just order a few starter packs from microsoft.com, they are free and test it out. I reccomend it...

psylockf

2000 itself isn't built for games or multimedia either... what do you say about that? :) it's not a server but still..

John
who are you?

i'm the guy who brings his computer with xp in the first place. i usually bring my own computer to lan parties, at least the ones at friends' houses.

tr1kstanc3

haha yeahpsylockf -

first time i used win2k was rc1 during the beta test phase, during the time i was an avid counterstrike player and swore by windows 98se (how silly of me?) installed halfllife on win2k not knowing if it would work or not, and it ran awesome. remember at the time running some tnt2 detonator drivers like 3.xx series or something. those were the days, tweaked everything i knew how to and got CS running great. that was almost 4 years ago, and to this day i still use win2k for everything including gaming. oh how times change.

started tinkering with redhat 9 and i must say im impressed. detected all my hardware and got it customized, loving the theme sets. i dunno, i just like messing with different OS's, you learn alot by breaking stuff =P

John
2000 itself isn't built for games or multimedia either... what do you say about that? :) it's not a server but still..

if it was between win98/me and windows 2000, i would tell whoever was asking to use win98/me.

Fripi

FOr me it works fine for the games, I didn't gain anything in 3dMark but I find UT2003 goes quicker maybe because of the clean install, but for the rest it is better, 80% of my hardware is recognised at the install (50% in Win2000), applications starts faster, much quicker than XP on my computer !?

Only some problems with iTouch.

But all in one I prefer it to XP because it's less time to activate what i need then to desactivate all what's useless in XP, and less time to install than 2000.

Win Server 2003 can be great as workstation os and for games too, why would directx 8.1 be implemented by default otherwise :-)

ghoul2oo3

plays games great :D but i still prefer xpsp1

Fripi

My second test was: Unreal2, SplinterCell, Rayman3.

SplinterCell and Rayman were already very good on Win2k but Unreal2 was really slow and unplayable.

That changed !!! Unreal2 work really good on Win2k3, much better than on Win2k, I use the same driver and the same directX.

So ... it seems that the "server only OS" work really fine as workstation :-)

Yotce

The only think that make Windows Server 2003 really bad workstation/gaming platform is price ... all other reasons are disinformation

Fripi

that's true, for the moment why not use it for 6 months as I also try Flash Communication Server on it

ScorchedX

Are the differences between the Standard, Web, and Enterprise solely the server services?

MistaT40

GUYS stick to WIN 3.11 for WORKGROUPS.....best OS ever made by MS.......thats what im using on my P4 rig

eXtermia

I am going to use my copy to run a GAME server so there. I will run Q3 or others in console mode most of the time but who says I can't jump in to a full blown game. (yeah i could use a linux server but I don't want to). I was going to even go as far as setting up perhaps 2 servers one runnign VPN and setting up the game in a vpn (Iknow it will ad latency but I want to see what it will do plus no one can see that a game is going over the lan) :D

So I am going to use it as a GAME server and what is anyone going to do about that... Server supports more memory..More disk options (even if software RAID 5???) More processors (some things do suport MP wish more games did) If Server RUNS better than workstation because any factor and it happens to run my Game better DO I CARE if its a SERVER os ....NO I DON'T

~==-eX--//==~

ScorchedX

Win 3.11 was my first OS. Wish I still had it. And my 486 too.

ISOPimp

Just out of curiousity, what version of the server are you people running and are you having good or bad gaming experiences?

I tried 2k3 server enterprise myself and had to put xp back on because of random restarts, and application incompatibility. Yes I did all the directx, sound, video accelereation tweaks, plus I had newest drivers etc.

Paul

i only use it for Dedicated Games servers, not actually playing games!

uniacid

yeah same here, I'd only use it for hosting a game but not playing games

PF Prophet

i use it for workstation to me this means i use it to 1: play games 2: burn cd's 3:surf the web 4: listen ta tunes

i havent had any major issues just some minor things that where fixed by tweaking settings

for most people i would sujest webserver its smaller and cheaper from what i have seen

i have that running on a k6-2 550 with 256ram and its as fast as 2k was and rock stable

im running enterprise as my sysytem (axp 2k+ 1gb ddr 80gb ibm hdd,30gb wd hdd, 48x16x48 optorite cdrw, 10xdvd ,52xcdrom,56xcdrom,ecs k7vta3 mobo, kyro2 64mb vid, sblive plat,external seiral usrobo v92 modem and no floppy :D)

works grate kicks xp's ass for sure and even seems faster then my 2k was

and 9x vs 2k 2k all the way 9x vs nt4 sp6 with my tweaks nt4 can get it running any game ya want if ya know how :)

Asmo

Is anyone gonna post some numbers and benchmarks showing how 2k3 'kicks' XP's ass? I'm dual bootin them both, and I admit, 2k3 can be made to run as a workstation very well, but 'kicking xp' ass, I don't see it. A tweaked XP runs just as fast and stable as 2k2/2k3. I hate XP right after default boot too, tweak a few things and its just the same as 2k2/2k3.

• 4 weeks later...
nanobug

meh. Win2k3 works great for anything you want to use it for if you take the time to learn the ins and outs of the OS. I've had no problems using it for games, and I also use it on my DAW. It works great. F00k you if you don't like the fact that I use it for that.

All the 'its a server' crap is bogus anyhow. Linux is a 'server' too, yet games are released for it. Windows XP is based on the WinNT 4 code base, which is... you guessed it, a server.

I agree that if you arent willing to take the time to search and learn things about the OS before you install, you probbably shouldn't install it. However, it wouldn't kill you guys who know the answers to some of these questions to just answer them. Otherwise, shut your spum gap and mind your business. Your ranting and raving isnt going to change anything.

PF Prophet
if it was between win98/me and windows 2000, i would tell whoever was asking to use win98/me.

u are officaly crazy 98se/me why would anybody with a 1/2 decent system want 9x period

2000 plays games grate just install the drivers for us system and go

my old p3 550 clasic im now using as a test system will play most games that are a couple years old its just got a crappy ati rage 128

me thinks somebody needs a lession in proper config and setup of 2k

or a swift boot in the ass :D

DOCa Cola

For me all Games run fine under WS2K3. And i also would recommend noone to use w98 for gaming cause w2k/winxp/ws2k3 has the better drivers.

Joel
All the 'its a server' crap is bogus anyhow. Linux is a 'server' too, yet games are released for it. Windows XP is based on the WinNT 4 code base, which is... you guessed it, a server.

All versions of Linux are not server optimised versions. Same with Windows.

PF Prophet

silly u rite but i wouldnt call linux a game os :) more of a hobbiest and server os then anything else

HeartsOfWar

OK... everyone needs to stop arguing...

Servers are defined by their software / configuration package. Because of this, it is very possible to have a server acting as a workstation without any problems.

Now some people may think it's crazy to use a $3000+ piece of software for everyday use that only required $200 dollars worth of investment, but this is the best fact of America... Freedom.

Freedom to do whatever you freaking wish to do as long as it doesn't break the law... Now obviously some jerk is going to say, what if the person doesn't live in America, well... that's a lame excuse and doesn't need any further arguing.

So in closing, Everyone who keeps shouting it's a server, not a workstation needs to respect the rights of every member of this forum who chooses to use the software other than its intended use...

Nike was founded by using a Waffle cooker to create the initial design of their shoes... Just imagine what would have happened if the public told him "it's a waffle cooker, not a sole designer"