PS3 red lighted!

I thought it yellow lighted? Is that a known problem?

Title must be tongue in cheek. It is yellow lighted.

I believe it's when the Blu Ray drive fails to read Blu Rays, but will still read DVDs/CDs, or it's failed completely.

Only things you can do

a) Try to fix it yourself

b) Pay to get it fixed (officially or by shop or something)

c) Claim it on house insurance :p

d) Try to start an insurance policy for it (Sony do one), then claim broken shortly afterwards

e) Buy another, and use this one as a media hub somewhere in the house (I assume you have yellow light which means PS3 still works, just drive doesn't)

its a very rare issue apparently. It lights green, flashes yellow, back to green the flashes red in the space of about 3 seconds.

Okay ignore the above :laugh:

Never heard of red lighted before, that's why I assumed yellow.

its a very rare issue apparently. It lights green, flashes yellow, back to green the flashes red in the space of about 3 seconds.

That sucks, were it a drive issue at least you could still use it.

Errm, have you tried holding in the power button to force a shutdown and tried actually unplugging it from the wall? Have you tried spitting out the disc first by holding in the eject button?

Sony did offer a consumer extended warranty - there was a dedicated site where you put in your serial number and stuff. You could sign up any time for it, even if the console is out-of-warranty and still get it repaired free. You just paid a small monthly fee. I can't find the site right now though.

Just called them, they're sending out a replacement on the 17th (low stock of 60gb). They did offer an 80GB unit but I really need the BC.

looks like the Wii is gonna see some more usage.

I called Sony again. They said they send you back the disc once its been extracted, if I don't get it back within 6 weeks, I have to call them and they send a new one.

Sony did offer a consumer extended warranty - there was a dedicated site where you put in your serial number and stuff. You could sign up any time for it, even if the console is out-of-warranty and still get it repaired free. You just paid a small monthly fee. I can't find the site right now though.

Interesting. need to find the site. i guess.

Coldgunner. Do keep us updated :)

I told them I bought it in Apr 07, and they asked the shop etc. I guess the serial matched what I told them. I'm not being charged a thing, just gotta wait 2 weeks :(

I guess its gonna be one hell of a week of downloading stuff again.

Nope. You have to hold down the eject button thingy as you switch it on or something but the PS3 still has to be kind of working. You can get it out though even with the red light thingy. I remember having to do it on my 1st PS3

they told me to try holding the eject button while I turn it on at the switch.

Take it that didn't work?

Remember to tell Sony if you have any downloaded content on your PS3 that is DRM'd and cannot be transferred to another PS3 (e.g. SingStar songs from the Store). Sony will need to refund you the cost so you can download again.

eject thing didn't work. All DLC is tied to the account rather than the machine, so I just need to download the stuff again.

One request, a memorial service in Home for my PS3 :cry:

if a disc is still in there, Sony will give it back. They will also give you back a 60gb PS3 wiht PS2 campatability (if that is the one you have).

I have read reports about drive failurs... and if it is just that.. they won't touch anything else and send you back the same machine.

See what fixing costs are.

See what your household insurance excess is.

Make a decision on the above...

+1 :yes:

Buy a new one, swap the console take it back and say it doesn't work?

-1 :no:

eject thing didn't work. All DLC is tied to the account rather than the machine, so I just need to download the stuff again.

One request, a memorial service in Home for my PS3 :cry:

Just make sure about the DLC you have. Like I said, SingStar songs are tied to the actual PS3 system not the account (as you can use them with multiple accounts - on the same PS3).