Installing windows 2000

Lately i have been having probelms with my XP, i want to install windows 2000 back. For one thing because i have a webcam and it look's sooo much better on windows 2000 and yes i have the latest drivers for it on XP but it still looks like crap. The second thing is my games skip really badly no matter what version of drivers i have on XP. Even if i set the game to lowest settings it still skips, plus their are many other things also. In windows 2000 my games run so nice and my webcam works perfectly and i have no problems at all.

What i would like is to install windows 2000 and just wipe out Windows xp but when i insert the windows 2000 disc it says i already have a upgraded version...Yes i am a n00b so any help on how to install it another way would be nice. Thanks

Lately i have been having probelms with my XP, i want to install windows 2000 back. For one thing because i have a webcam and it look's sooo much better on windows 2000 and yes i have the latest drivers for it on XP but it still looks like crap. The second thing is my games skip really badly no matter what version of drivers i have on XP. Even if i set the game to lowest settings it still skips, plus their are many other things also. In windows 2000 my games run so nice and my webcam works perfectly and i have no problems at all.

What i would like is to install windows 2000 and just wipe out Windows xp but when i insert the windows 2000 disc it says i already have a upgraded version...Yes i am a n00b so any help on how to install it another way would be nice. Thanks

You have to boot from CDROM, you cannot do this when your in windows.

I Suggest you do a Clean Install of Windows 2000, it sounds like You had Windows 2000 and did an Upgrade To XP, perhaps this is why your not having an experience with XP. because you aren't familiar with installing Windows From CD-ROM Boot.

Thats Pretty apparent. :yes:

go retrieve Win2k Bootdisks ... www.bootdisk.com - 4 of these to use...

OR if you do have a bootable CD...

go to your BIOS and select the boot option #1 to be CD-ROM or Floppy depending in the case above :)

restart - let the CD-ROM/Floppies do their thing then follow the onscreen instructions :)

simple yet effective :D Win2k r0x...

Assuming the Windows 2000 disc is bootable, pop the disc in, reboot, check your bios settings to see if your boot sequence is set to 1. cdrom 2. hdd etc. When it's booting off the cd, it will say "Press any key to boot from CD", so press any key. Press enter to install Windows, DELETE the partition XP is on, then CREATE the new partition, format using NTFS (or FAT32 if you so desire, but NTFS is better :) ) and now you're ready to play the waiting game. :)

Wow fast replies, thanks so much!

On this computer when you use the reformat disc that came with it, it will go back to windowsME :x. But my disc will not work anymore so ive been stuck with these problems for months now on XP. I will try some of these suggestions and reply back soon i hope.

A few questionts real quick,

1. How do i boot from the windows 2000 CD? When i restart with the disc in, it just goes right to the XP load screen.

2. What is BIOS and how do i get to it?

3. When i restart with XP disc in i do see a "press any key to boot from CD", but not with windows 2000.

sorry if these are n00b questions...hehe gotta learn sometime. Thanks

btw my XP is clean installed and always has been but i still get the same problems. :no:

Just as the guys said, and when you feel like returning to XP one day...just boot from the xp cd and do a fresh install. Fresh installs are alot better than upgrades IMO. :)

Edit - to access the bios you have to press a certain key when the computer has restarted. For some machines it may be the delete key or F4. You will have to find out which one it is for your pc. Once you do get into the bios, you can navigate around it by using the arrow keys on your keyboard and hitting enter to activate a selection. You can also use the page up and page down keys to change a selection. Pressing escape will take u back out of a menu. Also, do not forget to save your changes when exiting the bios. You may have to type Y to save these changes then press enter to reboot. You said that it shows the "press any key" for the xp cd but not for 2000. That means you will have to download the win2k boot disks from Microsoft. Goodluck.

Edited by Munki

Don't listen to all these wackos... XP is the Me of the NT line. Once you get 2kpro on there, you will be fine.

don't listen to THIS wacko. :)

don't listen to THIS wacko. :)

Heh, name one good feature that doesn't exist in 2kpro?

I'm running Service Pack 3 and have had one Blue Screen since I installed it last semester. (I had neglected to apply a hotfix so I got smbdied...)

I'm running Service Pack 3 and have had one Blue Screen since I installed it last semester. (I had neglected to apply a hotfix so I got smbdied...)

Windows Me, Was a steaming pile of compiled crap.

Don't insult XP with comparing it to that trash.

I'm running Service Pack 3 and have had one Blue Screen since I installed it last semester.  (I had neglected to apply a hotfix so I got smbdied...)

Windows Me, Was a steaming pile of compiled crap.

Don't insult XP with comparing it to that trash.

I've had more problems with XP than Me. That comparison is cutting XP slack because I installed it on a laptop.

that was in reply to you saying xp was the "me of the nt line". :p

Sorry it took me so long to reply, i had to go buy some floppy discs.

Can anyone tell me what i need to download and how to use it?

sorry for the n00b questions :no: thanks

sorry for the n00b questions :no: thanks

I'm still trying to find the boot floppies for you to download but I can't locate them. Don't apologize for asking questions when you need help my friend, that's how we learn. You can go here, in the meantime and see if anything will help you. :)

sorry for the n00b questions  :no: thanks

I'm still trying to find the boot floppies for you to download but I can't locate them. Don't apologize for asking questions when you need help my friend, that's how we learn. You can go here, in the meantime and see if anything will help you. :)

The Floppy Maker is on the WIndows 2000 CDROM.

its called "MAKEBOOT.EXE"

:rolleyes:

You will need 4 blank formatted floppies

download then extract each of the following 4 files to the floppies and you will have your boot disks!

_http://www.etplanet.com/windows/bootdisks/nt_2k_xp/Windows%202000%20Professional%20-%20Disk%201.exe

_http://www.etplanet.com/windows/bootdisks/nt_2k_xp/Windows%202000%20Professional%20-%20Disk%202.exe

_http://www.etplanet.com/windows/bootdisks/nt_2k_xp/Windows%202000%20Professional%20-%20Disk%203.exe

_http://www.etplanet.com/windows/bootdisks/nt_2k_xp/Windows%202000%20Professional%20-%20Disk%204.exe

Thanks a lot guys but their seems to be a problem when it asks for disc 2. It says "press enter when ready". I press enter when disc 2 is in but nothing happens...i have no idea what to do lol.

Is the floppy light active? Does the floppy drive make a reading noise? It's probably pulling the files off of the floppy. Leave it in for awhile until it asks for the next floppy and so on. :)

Nope the light doesn't come on at all for floppy 2 but floppy 1 it lit up and everything...and i left it alone for about 5 mins hehe.

:)

Hmm...that's odd. Maybe you mixed up the disks? Take out the floppy and hit enter...it should say insert disk two. Then put it back in and retry again. The only other thing I can say is to copy the disk 2 contents to another floppy and try that. Maybe it can't read that particular floppy you put in.