Installing windows 2000

A windows 98 boot disk will not work on a system with Windows 2000 installed if the hard drive has been formatted using the NTFS file system.

true that it won't read it, but it will allow you to delete the partition in fdisk, create a new one and format it. then you just switch to the cd drive, i386, and type winnt... and windows 2000 setup begins. format to ntfs from the win2k setup. i always found it easier to use a 98 boot disk rather than 4 win 2k ones back before i knew how to make my cds bootable. you have to be sure to run smartdrv though... or setup takes forever!

The only 2 things I really, really like about XP are Themes and Cleartype. Well, screw em both, I started using Litestep as of last week anywho :)

YAY LITESTEP! Who's with me!?

/me raises hand

=)

I turned on ClearType in 2k3, and oy, it hurt my eyes yet again... If it bothers me that much on an LCD, good thing my laptop doesn't have a CRT...

if u havent been able to downgrade from winxp to win2000 theres a way to do it but im not sure if it works for the NT family (xp/2000/nt) but it does work for the win9x series.

(also do this under your own risk. Ive done this 6 times and no failures as of yet but these force downgrades arnt recommended)

Search on WinXP for these files:

Win.com

Win.exe

If you cant find 1 of them its ok. Just find at least 1. Make a win xp boot disk (right-click on ur floppy and click format. Then "Create a MS-DOS start up disk"). Wait till it finishes creating it. Remember the exact location of Win.com and Win.exe then MOVE these to another different floppy then ur boot floppy (make sure you learn how to move these files from the floppy to their original location from MS-DOS before going on)

Then after this install windows 2000. I suggest (if avalible) to upgrade. It'll over write all the XP files and put the 2000 files and you will have Windows 2000. If it gives you the same message as before that you have a newer version of Windows then you cant do it. Take the files on your floppy and put them back where they were !IMPORTANT!.

and for the other convo, how do you turn on cleartype in win xp?

EDIT: Sorry but search doesnt allow access to "win.com" you have to go to the "Windows" folder and then "System32" folder and its in there (make sure you can see hidden/system files). Now its 100% to work.

Edited by riahc3

What puzzles me is why it takes so long to format your hard drive with the windows 2000 setup and with longhorn alpha it took like 5 mins tops (60gb)

I dunno. But formatting a 120gb with LONG format...

I went to the movies and back, and when I checked it was @ 75%.

Yaay.

(my board was not UDMA aware navitely at that time, but still..)