PS3 won't play PS2 games anymore :(

I was wondering if this happened to anyone else. The last time I played a PS2 game on my PS3 was back in May. Since then there have been many firmware updates and what not, and this weekend when I tried to play the same PS2 game (Persons 3), I could hear that the ps3 had gone into compatability mode and hear the game's menu music, but I could not see it, my tv went into a blank screen "no signal" message. I haven't changed anything since the last time I played a ps2 game. I have my ps3 hooked up to my tv using HDMI. I tried two other PS2 games and got the same result.

I can't believe this is happening now when I'm about to get Persona 4 in the mail from Amazon. :(

wow dude..that blows. the only reason you would of paid for the more expensive ps3 (ps2 compatibility) and it isn't working?

i would be calling Sony ..it might be covered under warranty

wow dude..that blows. the only reason you would of paid for the more expensive ps3 (ps2 compatibility) and it isn't working?

i would be calling Sony ..it might be covered under warranty

It's nothing to do with it failing, it's to do with BC rates.

Do you have an 80GB?

If you had one of the first PS3s all PS2 games would work, the later ones with BC are part software/part hardware.

Thing is Persona 3 is listed as working okay - http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

I have a 60GB from right before the stopped having built in PS2 support. That's one of the reasons I got it. Its just weird that I was able to play them before and now I can't. blah. I will try it with the A/V cables that came with the ps3 but it would get old quick switching between those and HDMI depending on what I want to do with it ( play a movie, play a ps3 game). *frustrated*

It's nothing to do with it failing, it's to do with BC rates.

Do you have an 80GB?

If you had one of the first PS3s all PS2 games would work, the later ones with BC are part software/part hardware.

Thing is Persona 3 is listed as working okay - http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Played Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition Remix a couple weekends ago with no problem. I have a 60GB that I bought right after the first price cut (July last year?). So I know it's not a firmware update.

After a tech support with Sony, I narrowed it down to 480i being grayed out on the Display settings. Thus I can hear the PS2 games but not see them. No idea why it became grayed out and how to change it. I think I've tried two different HDMI cables with the same result. Sony tech support did all they could and asked me to send it in, but since my ps3 is past the 1 year warranty it would $149 for them to fix it. Well hell, that's the price is just getting a damn ps2 system. Oh well, I'll just live without ps2 BC.

After a tech support with Sony, I narrowed it down to 480i being grayed out on the Display settings. Thus I can hear the PS2 games but not see them. No idea why it became grayed out and how to change it. I think I've tried two different HDMI cables with the same result. Sony tech support did all they could and asked me to send it in, but since my ps3 is past the 1 year warranty it would $149 for them to fix it. Well hell, that's the price is just getting a damn ps2 system. Oh well, I'll just live without ps2 BC.

It's grayed out? :/

Try resetting your video settings.

I think you hold down the power button for 5 seconds on boot till it beeps. If done successfully your TV should reset to 480i/576i depending on NTSC/PAL.

Try also using the composite cables that come with the PS3 instead of HDMI.

Strange one, because if a video signals passing through your graphics card, it should be able to go to any setting, as all it's doing is changing the resolution to go to 480i from 1080p.

Edited by Audioboxer

damn. sorry to hear that.

Whats ps2 games were you playing BTW?

Persona 3. I was trying to play some of it while waiting for Person 4 to arrive from Amazon....

In regards to holding down the power button to reset the video, I've done it and it didn't help.

Re: "Do you have an 80GB?"

What I have is a 60GB with hardware BC.

Persona 3. I was trying to play some of it while waiting for Person 4 to arrive from Amazon....

In regards to holding down the power button to reset the video, I've done it and it didn't help.

Re: "Do you have an 80GB?"

What I have is a 60GB with hardware BC.

Have you got a Standard Definition TV in your house?

Hook your PS3 up to it with the composite cables that came with it.

If it's a black screen, try the video reset then.