600k Day One Dark Knight Blu-ray Sales

The Dark Knight took aim at the recession this past Tuesday and won by selling an estimated 3 million copies between DVD and Blu-ray Disc on its launch day that included Midnight Madness events.

Of those, 600,000 were Blu-ray Disc sales. Iron Man sold 500,000 Blu-ray copies during its first week. The Dark Knight should crush that mark.

Ron Sanders, president of Warner Home Video, estimates The Dark Knight could sell its 1 millionth Blu-ray Disc copy by Saturday. He spoke to Home Media Retailing and offered this, "In the first two days across those three territories, Blu-ray Disc sales are running between 25% and 30% of total sales, which is a massive number. We had expected Blu-ray to account for a significant percentage of sales, but not quite this high, which speaks well for the format. It's really catching on with consumers."

Whether The Dark Knight will do for Blu-ray what The Matrix did for DVD remains to be seen. Early indications point towards a surge in Blu-ray ownership and interest in the format thanks to the caped crusader.

Source: http://www.thehdroom.com/news/600k_Day_One...-ray_Sales/3960

Only 600,000 out of 3 million are Blu-ray sales?! If you look at Amazon.com, the Blu-ray version is ranked #1 in Bestsellers while the DVD is ranked at #3. That means more people are buying the Blu-ray version. So, if 3 million copies were sold, there has to be A LOT more than 600,000 BDs sold.

post-253014-1229018470_thumb.jpg

Only 600,000 out of 3 million are Blu-ray sales?! If you look at Amazon.com, the Blu-ray version is ranked #1 in Bestsellers while the DVD is ranked at #3. That means more people are buying the Blu-ray version. So, if 3 million copies were sold, there has to be A LOT more than 600,000 BDs sold.

According to one site?

yeahh....

I rented it and watched it... Looks nice. I'm waiting for it to come up on Charter's HD On-Demand to compare it.

compare what exactly? I'd imagine that the 1080p video and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 would be better than the On-Demand version @ 1080i and Dolby Digital 5.1.. ?

Well look at it this way.

You bought an expensive BluRay player, you'll want some good looking hi def movies to play on it, so I high amount of bluRay adopters will buy the BD release of high profile new movies.

DVD. well with all the download services and DVD owners not being that starved for movies anyway, they won't sell to the same amount of people as fast.

Afterall the ones who buy movies instead of renting or just watching it at the theatre's are the movie buffs who bought BluRay players anyway.

compare what exactly? I'd imagine that the 1080p video and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 would be better than the On-Demand version @ 1080i and Dolby Digital 5.1.. ?

1080p30 or 1080i60, same end product different delivey. DD5.1 or THD5.1 ... well likelyhood of the average person hearing a difference unliekely, likelyhood of a aove average person interested in movies with a decent Home theatre system with proper big speakers and all... still unlikely. Likelyhood of a serius moviebuff with unreasonabely expensie home threatre system hearing the difference in a blind test.... it's possible, but I wouldn't put money on him doing it reliably in repeated tests :p

1080p30 or 1080i60, same end product different delivey. DD5.1 or THD5.1 ... well likelyhood of the average person hearing a difference unliekely, likelyhood of a aove average person interested in movies with a decent Home theatre system with proper big speakers and all... still unlikely. Likelyhood of a serius moviebuff with unreasonabely expensie home threatre system hearing the difference in a blind test.... it's possible, but I wouldn't put money on him doing it reliably in repeated tests :p

same end product is not likely though... the 1080p30 will be uncompressed, 1080i60 over cable or even sat is still going to be compressed and you are going to lose quality. I just recently upgraded to a receiver that is capable of decoding THD5.1 and I already have heard a difference... while not a great difference.. I believe the "average" user with decent speakers will notice a difference... i just hope this trend continues and we start to see a drop in prices... $25 a movie is just too much for me to "collect" like I used to for standard dvds...

1080p30 on BD is definately not uncompressed.

and of course you're hearing a difference. foeone you know you just got a ancy new THD receiver. you "hearing" the difference doesn't mean it's there, it's why I said blind test :p

Today The Dark Knight on Blu-ray Disc enjoyed its first full week on the market to the tune of 1.7 million in global sales and over 1 million sales in the United States. But the celebration for the now best-selling Blu-ray of all time doesn't end there.

Everyone knew The Dark Knight had the potential to be Blu-ray's secret weapon, the title that would right the ship in these hard economic times. No one suspected how far it, and the Blu-ray format as well, would penetrate consumer's holiday shopping lists.

Today further evidence of The Dark Knight's power came in an completely unexpected form. The Dark Knight on Blu-ray is sold out at Amazon.com despite never going on sale. There is no note stating additional stock will be received before Christmas. No more for now. Bye bye.

I've read other reports of The Dark Knight on Blu-ray being difficult to find in brick-and-mortar stores. With supposedly well over 1 million copies shipped did we ever expect a shortage? Not at all.

All those "Blu-ray is dead" articles that flooded the Internet over the past 60 days are a distant memory now.

For the Blu-ray format, there's still a long road ahead. The Dark Knight was destined to sell well, but how will the scores of new PS3 and Blu-ray adopters treat themselves to high-def media in 2009, especially catalog titles they may already own on DVD? And will they spend a few bucks more for a comedy on Blu-ray or go the cheaper DVD route?

I can't wait to see how next year plays out.

Source: http://www.thehdroom.com/news/The_Dark_Kni..._at_Amazon/4011

Yeah, I guess Blu-ray ain't dead after all. :D

I don't have a Blu-ray player, so I'm buying the DVD copy. I ordered it just yesterday, believe it or not. So, I'll probably get it in a few days.

I was expecting it. This is the first Christmas in which Blu ray can take the whole HD pie. with the amount of gifted players and PS3's, whats better than a great movie to show it off?

onwards and upwards.

One of my local Wal-Marts has a ton of copies. In fact I was there the other day and was amazed, I was actually thinking Blu-Ray may be dead with so such a high volume. I guess it could have been a restocking of them though.

At any rate, I've got my copy on Blu-Ray and it is spectacular.

Doesn't surprise me that it's selling so well, the film is ace. Now I just need to get a PS3 or a blu-ray drive for my PC :p

If you get a Blu-Ray drive for your PC, make sure your monitor supports HDCP, otherwise some BD won't play without software like AnyDVD HD. I ran into that when I got mine.