• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

I finally joined all of you and got an HDTV

Chicane-UK    674

Nice one :)

In the market for a 1080p set very soon and can't wait. I'm sure you're enjoying that HD gaming now :)

DaDude    46

To be honest, I thought I would've been the last people here to join the club. It took me forever to buy my HDTV. But wow, $433 for a 32"!! The prices are really falling, aren't they!

+Fahim S.    1,088

Nice one! The Aquos are a great range of televisions for the money - highly under-rated.

jaxius    0

Congrats! I also joined the HD club, got a 32" Sony Bravia L Series.

I am Reid    45

The hype around 1080p that sony created is ridiculous, i have a 720p projector at 100", and today had a christmas party and every single person just stood there in amazement at it, most people had to be told it was a projector because they thought it was an LCD, literally, every single person said "wow". Dont get me wrong, 1080p is great, but nearly every source except bluray and select video games are in 1080p. I just wish people would stop acting like 1080p is the only thing that looks great.

DaDude    46
Please dont try to grow your ego, 1080p on anything under 42 is totally senseless.

Agreed. But even though my 32" TV is only 720p, it does accept 1080p signals and it downconverts it. So, no one will ever know that my TV is only 720p, unless I tell them. :D

+StevoFC    21
Agreed. But even though my 32" TV is only 720p, it does accept 1080p signals and it downconverts it. So, no one will ever know that my TV is only 720p, unless I tell them. :D

No it doesn't. It would take 1080i max. I have never seen a Samsung that is 720p and takes 1080p.

DaDude    46
No it doesn't. It would take 1080i max. I have never seen a Samsung that is 720p and takes 1080p.

Trust me. It does. I have my upscaled DVD player outputting a 1080p signal and the TV accepts it. I even press the info button on the remote of my TV and it says it's 1080p. Research the Samsung LN32A450 and you'll see that the TV accepts 1080p. Of course, it's not displaying at 1080p, but it's just downscaling it to 720p.

+Audioboxer    2,876
Trust me. It does. I have my upscaled DVD player outputting a 1080p signal and the TV accepts it. I even press the info button on the remote of my TV and it says it's 1080p. Research the Samsung LN32A450 and you'll see that the TV accepts 1080p. Of course, it's not displaying at 1080p, but it's just downscaling it to 720p.

Every single HDTV "accepts" a 1080p source, all they do is downscale it to the next resolution the TV supports. Wither that be 720p, or 480p if you're on an SDTV (yeah Blu Ray players hook up to SDTVs as well :p).

From SteveoFC's comment it's obvious he thought you meant your 32" was outputting at 1080p.

magik    25
So, I finally did it. I was at work and saw a deal pop up on a Sharp LC32SB24U 32" 720p LCD television and had to bite the bullet and buy it. I've already connected my HD cable box (cable guy gave me one since I was planning on getting a tv in the future) and my 360. I'm loving it. It's not a high end Sony or Samsung, but it's definitely a great set for the money I spent ($433 after tax).

Man, I helped so many people with their HDTV's but didn't have one of my own. I'm glad I finally have one.

Wow, I had no idea you didn't even have one yourself. I remember when you helped me pick out my beauty! :D

Anyway, thanks for all the great support and congrats on your new set! HD is awesome! :D

DaDude    46
Every single HDTV "accepts" a 1080p source, all they do is downscale it to the next resolution the TV supports. Wither that be 720p, or 480p if you're on an SDTV (yeah Blu Ray players hook up to SDTVs as well :p).

From SteveoFC's comment it's obvious he thought you meant your 32" was outputting at 1080p.

No, it's not outputting at 1080p, it's only downscaling it. All TVs do accept up to 1080i, but older 720p HDTV models don't accept 1080p. However, all of the newer ones (ie the ones made this year) can accept 1080p.

kylejn    0

Wait, you didn't have an HDTV before now? Haha, that's crazy! I always imagined you having this kick-ass setup after helping so many people on here! All you need now is a surround sound system.

Anyway, congratulations on your purchase. I've had my HDTV for a couple years now and couldn't imagine going back to standard definition.

bangbang023    31

I've had some issues with my cable box and had to swap it out today. It was freezing up at night, but only in terms of accepting commands from the remote control. The buttons on the box itself worked fine, but it would not acknowledge any remote controls. Weird.

Either way, I've been enjoy it so much. Just finished watching The Thomas Crown affair on BravoHD. I've always liked that movie and seeing it this way was very gratifying.

+Troll    67
I've had some issues with my cable box and had to swap it out today. It was freezing up at night, but only in terms of accepting commands from the remote control. The buttons on the box itself worked fine, but it would not acknowledge any remote controls. Weird.

Either way, I've been enjoy it so much. Just finished watching The Thomas Crown affair on BravoHD. I've always liked that movie and seeing it this way was very gratifying.

If you've got Comcast, make sure they gave you the newest box - I think it's a DCH-3416 unless they came out with a newer one in the last few months.

Glad you are enjoying the TV. Welcome to the "HD-Snob" world where you don't tune into the SD channels anymore :)

bangbang023    31
If you've got Comcast, make sure they gave you the newest box - I think it's a DCH-3416 unless they came out with a newer one in the last few months.

Glad you are enjoying the TV. Welcome to the "HD-Snob" world where you don't tune into the SD channels anymore :)

Cablevision with the SA 4250HD box. After using my girl's Time Warner SA box, I hate my box. It's slow and generally makes it a pain to find something to watch. If it's going to annoy me, the least it could do is, I don't know, respond to my remote lol.

Matrix XII    38
Pfft, 720p???

Your crazy man, if your buying a TV get full HD 1080, sharps are okay suppose but panasonics and sony's really are worth the money you spend.

LOL.

vincent    154
Pfft, 720p???

Your crazy man, if your buying a TV get full HD 1080, sharps are okay suppose but panasonics and sony's really are worth the money you spend.

Then buy him a 1080p ;)

qdave    159

thats nice. congrats. i will not get hdtv for at least a year or two. :(

DaDude    46
thats nice. congrats. i will not get hdtv for at least a year or two. :(

Why?

DaDude    46
Then buy him a 1080p ;)

Have him buy me one too while he's at it. :)

+Troll    67
Cablevision with the SA 4250HD box. After using my girl's Time Warner SA box, I hate my box. It's slow and generally makes it a pain to find something to watch. If it's going to annoy me, the least it could do is, I don't know, respond to my remote lol.

Can't speak on the SA boxes, but the Moto ones used by Comcast and others are notorious for having a remote lag. I'm sure you've already looked into it some, but check the info on that box on AVSForum to see if they have any tricks and tips on the box. Looks like the 4250 doesn't have a DVR, but not having Cablevision, I'm not sure what features they block on the box itself or how bloated they make the FW.

Sikh    192

I joined the club on Black Friday.

Got my 32" Samsung. Its a GREAT TV. Its worth 800 got it at 500. So I got a GREAT Deal.

Also, 720 and 1080 isnt so important. Its only the Resolution and me, I LOVE 720. Great in gaming and tv.

DaDude    46

I agree. I have the Time Warner SA box for the regular digital cable service and it's a real pain. The remote lags and the guide always loses data causing me to have to reboot the darn thing several times a week. It's annoying. My uncle has HD service for Time Warner and he said the problems on those boxes are a lot worse (freezing picture, channels not working, etc). Now, I can't speak for all cable services, so I'm just going to put down Time Warner. They charge over $50 a month for all of these headaches. They suck! Unfortunately, they're the only cable company available in my area. This is why I was never encouraged to subscribe to their HD service for my HDTV.

Edited by xraffle

bangbang023    31

I don't know what's wrong with your boxes, but I meant that I love my girl's Tome Warner box. Everything is so fluid and snappy. Also, when I hit the guide button, it brings up the guide and not a menu with a guide as an option (friggin Cablevision).

DaDude    46
I don't know what's wrong with your boxes, but I meant that I love my girl's Tome Warner box. Everything is so fluid and snappy. Also, when I hit the guide button, it brings up the guide and not a menu with a guide as an option (friggin Cablevision).

It must be my area then because all my friends and neighbors have the same problem. I call Time Warner about it and all they tell me is to reboot the box regularly.