• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Are HDMI ports THAT fragile?

DaDude    45

When reading the instruction manual for my upscaled DVD player, it says to be extremely careful when hooking it up via HDMI because you could end up breaking the port. While researching, I read that HDMI ports can break if you?re not careful. I have three HDMI ports on my TV, but I only use 1 and I was able to hook up my DVD player without anything breaking. So, I was just wondering. Are HDMI ports really that fragile? Do you have to be extremely careful when plugging and unplugging electronics?

Sethos    270

That's the first I've heard of it, "Fragile HDMI Ports", maybe they are just exaggerating to 'scare' users into not breaking it :p

0sit0    169

Havent had a problem with them and I'm not "that" careful :D

jerzdawg    338
That's the first I've heard of it, "Fragile HDMI Ports", maybe they are just exaggerating to 'scare' users into not breaking it :p

+1 .. the few times i have switched things in and out I def did not think that the ports were fragile at all.. was this warning on your tv manual or the dvd player?... if the dvd player.. what make/model is it?

DaDude    45
+1 .. the few times i have switched things in and out I def did not think that the ports were fragile at all.. was this warning on your tv manual or the dvd player?... if the dvd player.. what make/model is it?

It's the DVD player (Sony DVP-NS77H).

Doli    545

It wouldn't hurt to be careful when mesing around with expensive electronics devices. Saves time and money getting a replacement.

BoJo    0
It wouldn't hurt to be careful when mesing around with expensive electronics devices. Saves time and money getting a replacement.

+1

Why risk it?

The fragile HDMI bit in the manual is probably a legal "get out of compensation" card - i.e. they wont have to fix it for free if you break it because they gave you due warning

Rudy    457

you should always be careful but i doubt the hdmi ports are that weak

DaDude    45

It's so weird how manuals like to exaggerate things to scare people. First, my DVD player manual warns me that HDMI ports can easily break. Then, my HDTV manual warns me that LCDs can easily get image retention so I should not watch 4:3 content with black bars for more than 5% of the time. I asked questions on both of these things here and based on the responses I've got, these "warnings" are just exaggerated and just done to scare people. I guess the main reason they do it is just so people are careful so it's less for them to worry about in the warranty coverage.