• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows Live Essentials - Wave 3 Release Candidates?

Kyang    112

Gah, how do I get the photo gallery to STOP looking at videos? I only want to use it as a photogallery, but this thing insists on loading all of my videos as well.

Calum    820
Calum, I feel you in regards to the scenes option. I thought that's what the team was going to implement, maybe in the final build we can push for it.

Cool :) I really hope they do this :) I hope you can get all the other beta testers and Butterflys you know to push this :)

Getting rid of the folder icons doens't make so muh sense in Photo gallery, since it actually displays folders. and bigger headers... I dunno, I like my neat small tet in the folder tree :p, I only have one main folder I actually use anyway (or try to use, if only it would save to the network folders)

oh and would they pelase add support for saving fix changes to raw files, without having to do workarouns liek saving copies first (wich again doesn't work on network folders, wich doesn't matter since I can't ave fixes anyway :p)

Well, when on about getting rid of the folder icons, I was really referring to how they removed the folder icons from accounts and RSS feeds in Windows Live Mail. It might work? :/ Windows Live Mail looks so much cleaner now. Either way, getting rid of the folders and other icons isn't the main thing I want out of Photo Gallery - I want to be able to change the colour like we can on Windows Live Mail and Messenger and have it so it is shaded more in the UI like Mail. Mail's design looks gorgeous, very well thought through and I know they can make Photo Gallery as consistent.

Windows Live Mail looks fantastic now. I'm glad they got rid of the folders and went with a much cleaner look.

It really does look gorgeous doesn't it :) I can't get over how much of an improvement it is and it adds more colour than the last build whilst still keeping it clean and subtle.

Super! I'll certainly take a look into downloading Windows Live Mail when I get the chance. This way, I won't have to load my web browser every time I want to check my mail.

It really is worth checking it out :) You get a slight, subtle beep everytime you get a new message so you know and then you just click on the window (or the icon in the notification area if you have set the window to minimise) and you see any messages from any accounts straight away, very quickly :)

It also reads RSS feeds very well and is very handy for that and newsgroups.

The calendar part of it is really good to, as is the Windows Live Contacts integration.

Kevin.    1

Hey, cJr, how's Windows Live Movie Maker looking? I heard the first beta was terrible, but you mentioned earlier in this topic that it improved.

Calum    820
Hey, cJr, how's Windows Live Movie Maker looking? I heard the first beta was terrible, but you mentioned earlier in this topic that it improved.

It's now actually 'usable' and has been updated quite a bit when you think about it (over the previous version), but it still has a long way to go. I'm probably not the best person to ask on this as I never edit movies myself so haven't really used either version, I just messed around with the last beta a little bit.

I personally hate the fact that they have used the ribbon user interface on Windows Live MovieMaker as they do not have it on any other Windows Live product and I am one who likes to see consistency :D Also, they really could have made such a beautiful user interface which looks like Windows Live Mail. It would have looked so nice :/

sharp65    0
It's now actually 'usable' and has been updated quite a bit when you think about it (over the previous version), but it still has a long way to go. I'm probably not the best person to ask on this as I never edit movies myself so haven't really used either version, I just messed around with the last beta a little bit.

I personally hate the fact that they have used the ribbon user interface on Windows Live MovieMaker as they do not have it on any other Windows Live product and I am one who likes to see consistency :D Also, they really could have made such a beautiful user interface which looks like Windows Live Mail. It would have looked so nice :/

I think they chose to use the ribbon interface for consistency with some of the built in windows 7 products. Movie maker is built into windows vista, but it's not in windows 7. The built in programs in windows 7 such as paint and wordpad both use the ribbon so I assume they are trying to make it fit in better with those applications. I could be wrong though, just taking a guess.

Kevin.    1

Looking at the UI, the one thing I do miss the the timeline. I thought it was a very useful part of it. But then again, it's still in beta so anything can change between now and then.

Looking at the Windows Live Essentials suite as a whole, it's very well done. Granted it's not perfect, but what is? If this is a sign of things to come, then I'd love to see how Windows 7 will turn out as it approaches the final version.

Calum    820
I think they chose to use the ribbon interface for consistency with some of the built in windows 7 products. Movie maker is built into windows vista, but it's not in windows 7. The built in programs in windows 7 such as paint and wordpad both use the ribbon so I assume they are trying to make it fit in better with those applications. I could be wrong though, just taking a guess.

I understand that and you are probably right. I guess it's just the fact that it's under the "Windows Live" banner and parte of the suite "Windows Live Essentials" instead of being a built-in Windows application like Paint and WordPad.

I'm starting to think maybe they should have kept just MovieMaker in with Windows 7 since that application is for editing videos, Paint is for editing images and WordPad is for editing documents (and Word documents also). It would have made sense, especially because with all the other Windows Live products, you connect using your Windows Live ID and with MovieMaker you don't... probably because it shouldn't be classed as a Windows Live service.

Sorting out that issue would definitely help with consistency.

Denis W.    732

This looks tacky.

post-99705-1229416497_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing that mini display picture window has to be there to keep WLM running in the background. But... still looks weird to me.

timmy86    0

Is it just me or with the advent of scenes they've now removed the option to colour a contacts window with your choice of colour, should you so desire...? That truly sucks. I don't want my windows all the same. If someone doesn't have a scene picked (which is most of my contacts), I don't want to be stuck with a default...

Sean B.    175
Is it just me or with the advent of scenes they've now removed the option to colour a contacts window with your choice of colour, should you so desire...? That truly sucks. I don't want my windows all the same. If someone doesn't have a scene picked (which is most of my contacts), I don't want to be stuck with a default...

You either have to use your default scene or your contacts default scene. I was hoping to give a specific contact their own scene, but looks like they didn't give us that option in this build.

timmy86    0

Fair enough they want to get this scenes thing happening but why did they have to remove the individual contact colour option?

Not to mention confining the background chosen to the conversation section only...

drlacus    22

I found a new bug in messenger with the emo icons. In the previous build , we had that "they not showed up, they were cropped" problem... Now some of them, a lot of them by the way, has trails when they are moving and when u add them to your collection, they are a complete mess !!!

post-260690-1229545261.jpg

thealexweb    204

I'm loving Wave 3, good to see Silverlight has joined the club.

+InsaneNutter    1,383

Is it possible to move contacts display pictures back to the right of the chat window? I don?t really like having them at the left.

epple    20

Has probably been reported elsewhere, but it still doesn't seem to remember what size I choose the avatars in the chat window to be displayed at.

I'd like for them to be 'small', but it's still 'medium' size whenever a new chat window is opened.

I also was fond of avatars being to the right in the chat window. :p

tronador    0

The final version is the same RC??

Elliot B.    1,746
The final version is the same RC??

Turned out to be so, yeh.

Chr1zt1an    8

And wlcomm.exe is still crashing for me :(