• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Bad sound output

D. S.    426

Hello. This is going to be a bit of a long story so please, bear with me.

I recently started using my brother's beefier desktop PC so my laptop is just laying around in the office.

The laptop is basically a re branded Compal CL56 with a Mobility Radeon 9700.

I went to an electronics store today and saw a S-Video (4-pin) to RGB cable and figured I'd give the S-Video Out port some use.

So I got home and it took some tinkering because it wouldn't connect using the front panel on the TV.

The TV, being over 5 years old doesn't have an S-Video port. I had a RGB to SCART converter so I used that and now it works fine.

That's the base story. Now the questions :blush:

1. The video quality is a bit dodgy. When I'm using it as a clone (the TV is the same as my monitor) I can't up the resolution over 1024x768. Is this because of resolution limitations on the CRT TV or am I doing something wrong?

2. The sound is clear (no interference) but sounds "distant" like it has an echo to it. Is is inherent to the RGB -> SCART conversion or there are some settings I can change to improve it?

3. The TV was previously hooked to my cable provider's powerbox. Is there a way for me to have both the powerbox and the s-video connection using some kind of switcher? I'm asking because they both need to use the SCART port available on the TV.

Thanks in advance.