The Moon is Moving Away from Earth

• 2 weeks later...

so if moon is moving away wouldnt that 1.5 inch distance a year become bigger? lets say after some years 2, then 3 inches? It should since the gravitational pull on the moon would be weaker?

nonetheless it would be currious to know what would happen to earth once the moon is gone.

Why would you EVEN care about how far the moon moves away from the Earth @ 1.5 inches a year. So 1.5 inches times 100 years comes to 150 inches...so you and I won't be here. Also for the moon to move away and have ANY significant affect/lack of affect on the Earth, by the original article's math, would take 10,000 years approx!

Let me put it in perspective for you guys, our Sun will run out of fuel before we loose the Moon. So, yeah - just saying.

Watching the Discovery channel regularly loads me up with lots of useless info such as the one above :D

Well, our Sun in its current state is a "main sequence" star roughly 4.5-5 billion years old. Most astrophysists believe our Sun will turn into a Red Giant in another 5 billion years, at which point the Earth will be engulfed and obliterated. So, I think the Earth will make it another 616.7 million years...assuming we don't get hit by a massive asteroid or comet by then. Space is a scary place. :|

Ahh, I think some clever people discovered that the Sun would likely push us away as it got bigger so the planet would survive, I dunno about life though.

As for the moon wanting to leave, I can't blame it. :p