Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.6

My first MacOSX Update :p

That thing was soooo Fast... I would be here again waiting if it would had been 377MB of updates in Windows...

Now thats just cruel.... although your right, lol

I never had a Trackpad pref pane since I've had my Feb. 2008 MBP. This is the first time, with this update.

the trackpad options are the same i believe. just the Trackpad botton is NOT in the the keyboard/mouse tab anymore. it is out in the system panel next to the keyboard/mouse button.

the trackpad options are the same i believe. just the Trackpad botton is NOT in the the keyboard/mouse tab anymore. it is out in the system panel next to the keyboard/mouse button.

I think that's what I mean, LOL. It has its very own pref icon.

Yay, no more artifacts in Photoshop CS4 with graphics acceleration enabled! Shame the app still works like crap when you don't give it focus correctly.

I was reading reports it took 2 restarts, only did 1 here (mac pro 2.8ghz from 10.5.5)

Took 2 for me, worried me slightly, but it went fine.

I hope the "Game Performance Improvement" actually does something, as I have been having real crappy performance in games in OS X that otherwise run great under bootcamp and WinXP.

OpenCL as well, will go a long way in remedying this.

Let's face it, Mac users have never been at the top of the list for receiving GPU driver support from ATI or NVIDIA; in many cases, Apple had to deliver its own driver software that often doesn't take full advantage of the hardware features available on other platforms. However, the company's latest MacBook collaboration with NVIDIA demonstrated some of the best graphics hardware support yet on the Mac, suggesting new interest from Apple in pushing its platform's performance via GPUs. OpenCL takes this several steps further. So the future is looking bright at this point.

OpenCL as well, will go a long way in remedying this.

Let's face it, Mac users have never been at the top of the list for receiving GPU driver support from ATI or NVIDIA; in many cases, Apple had to deliver its own driver software that often doesn't take full advantage of the hardware features available on other platforms. However, the company's latest MacBook collaboration with NVIDIA demonstrated some of the best graphics hardware support yet on the Mac, suggesting new interest from Apple in pushing its platform's performance via GPUs. OpenCL takes this several steps further. So the future is looking bright at this point.

That is just speculation, we won't know for sure until Apple actually says so.

That is just speculation, we won't know for sure until Apple actually says so.

About the OpenCL? It'll be implemented, but we'll have to see its effect in practice.

But I think you'd agree with me regarding the driver issue . . .

(Wow, already 1000+ thread views.)

What issues?

Oh man..there are tons of issues with the new Macbooks/Pro with bootcamp. The trackpad is almost complete unusable, bluetooth driver is flaky as hell. It's all driver issues, but still it needs to be addressed by Apple ASAP, which they seem to be ignoring all the complaints.

See for yourself:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...22&tstart=0

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?fo...243&start=0

Oh man..there are tons of issues with the new Macbooks/Pro with bootcamp. The trackpad is almost complete unusable, bluetooth driver is flaky as hell. It's all driver issues, but still it needs to be addressed by Apple ASAP, which they seem to be ignoring all the complaints.

See for yourself:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...22&tstart=0

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?fo...243&start=0

I can't speak for the *new* Macbooks, but my MBP from Feb 2008 runs Windows XP Pro without a hitch. The only issue was with the sound, but I used the Device Manager in Windows to get the drivers for that, no biggie. Trackpad works fine, too. I only use Windows once in a blue moon to play EVE Online, and I haven't been on that for a while now. Maybe I'll try out Dead Space on it, though judging by the quality of a lot of what's out there now, my hopes aren't too high.

I can't speak for the *new* Macbooks, but my MBP from Feb 2008 runs Windows XP Pro without a hitch. The only issue was with the sound, but I used the Device Manager in Windows to get the drivers for that, no biggie. Trackpad works fine, too. I only use Windows once in a blue moon to play EVE Online, and I haven't been on that for a while now. Maybe I'll try out Dead Space on it, though judging by the quality of a lot of what's out there now, my hopes aren't too high.

The early macbooks work flawless. Since the new macbooks/pro have the new touchpad, the drivers for bootcamp don't seem to work on them.

The early macbooks work flawless. Since the new macbooks/pro have the new touchpad, the drivers for bootcamp don't seem to work on them.

Yeah, the new touchpad has no buttons. You using Vista or XP? Not sure if that makes a difference.

My trackpad is horrible in XP. I've got the Late 2008 model MacBook, and it really does suck. Flies from one corner of the screen to the other, misses clicks every now and then.

External mouse is a must. However, I expected this, given it's another operating system. Maybe BootCamp will be updated soon?

Yeah, the new touchpad has no buttons. You using Vista or XP? Not sure if that makes a difference.

The new trackpad does have a button, in fact the entire trackpad is a button, but it is made so you really don't need to use it.

LOL, I don't know what happened, but the scroll speed in a full screen Shiretoko (Firefox 3.1 beta 3 nightly) is suddenly very smooth and rapid! :o

Earlier it was always really sluggish, this is way beyond a placebo effect. Now it's on par with Windows performance there, for some reason it wasn't before.

My first OS X update experience isn't bad at least, hehe.

Also, I got some firmware update along with this for my Oct 2008 MacBook Pro (I doubt earlier models got it / needed it), and it revved up a fan I didn't even know my laptop had like mad while updating power adapter firmware. :rofl:

Edited by Jugalator

Yay, no more artifacts in Photoshop CS4 with graphics acceleration enabled! Shame the app still works like crap when you don't give it focus correctly.

I was reading reports it took 2 restarts, only did 1 here (mac pro 2.8ghz from 10.5.5)

Mine did 2 restarts, first one after installing, hung on bootscreen, rebooted and then started normally