Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.6

Oh man..there are tons of issues with the new Macbooks/Pro with bootcamp. The trackpad is almost complete unusable, bluetooth driver is flaky as hell. It's all driver issues, but still it needs to be addressed by Apple ASAP, which they seem to be ignoring all the complaints.

See for yourself:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...22&tstart=0

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?fo...243&start=0

I've been looking for just a cheap wireless mouse, but they're way out of my price range for the amount of time I spend in Windows on mine. It's the worse experience ever working with the trackpad in Windows. They do need to update the drivers ... but hey, Apple software for PC's never really been that quick (or great, at least not at first).

I've been waiting for 10.5.6 for a while, glad to see it out.

OpenCL as well, will go a long way in remedying this.

Let's face it, Mac users have never been at the top of the list for receiving GPU driver support from ATI or NVIDIA; in many cases, Apple had to deliver its own driver software that often doesn't take full advantage of the hardware features available on other platforms. However, the company's latest MacBook collaboration with NVIDIA demonstrated some of the best graphics hardware support yet on the Mac, suggesting new interest from Apple in pushing its platform's performance via GPUs. OpenCL takes this several steps further. So the future is looking bright at this point.

OpenCL could be used for games, but it'd probably slow them down. OpenCL is meant for desktop apps that will get a performance increase by running certain tasks on the GPU (like video decoding or encoding)

Server Version: 288MB via Software Update

The 10.5.6 update is recommended for all servers currently running Leopard Server. This update includes general operating system fixes, as well as specific fixes for:

- authenticating Podcast Producer with Open Directory and Active Directory

- reducing replication times for new Open Directory accounts and password changes

- propagating file system permissions when using Server Admin

- enforcing management of Screen Saver settings on client systems

- client management of printers and print queues

- reliably using NFS shares with linked binaries

- ejecting and remounting HFS+ formatted Fibre Channel LUNs

For detailed information on this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3192.

For detailed information on security updates, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222.

Well, my Safari seems better than ever, to bad I can't stand how it work...

On the other hand, FX 3.1 B2 is giving headhache by sometime not able to refresh/find a website, it somewhat look like timed out, but it don't, I don't remember seeing this before today, so I'm a bit worried, but after all, it's a Beta software...

.5 and .6 feel exactly the same to me. I've gone ahead and updated, though. There are supposed AirPort improvements, but that's always worked great for me.

.5 and .6 feel exactly the same to me. I've gone ahead and updated, though. There are supposed AirPort improvements, but that's always worked great for me.

I think the main improvements are when connected to a large wireless network. I've yet to try it out on campus. I agree with you though, it's always worked well.

humm touch of bitchiness there. anyway.

Well, it isn't surprising. The tone of your post suggests that it should have worked. Updates are never guaranteed to work on unauthorized hardware, especially if they are kernel-level updates.

Anyway, I believe you'll need to wait for a patched version of the update or something. I'm sure you know that you'll need to look to the osx86 community for that.

humm touch of bitchiness there. anyway.
heh?

Sorry but the outcome was just, obvious, what is the "bitchiness" in the fact that he known the answer before you tell us?

Finder has been updated to 10.5.8 - and I'm finding it more stable and greater 'teh snappy'. 10.5.6 is pretty damn stable so far.

I also notice a big improvement in speed when compressing a video on my iMac (ATI Graphics card + Intel 2.6Ghz etc 20inch).

Snow Leopard is going to be an interesting development - IMHO it will be the operating system that'll pull in even the most zealot of zealot Windows users :D

Finder has been updated to 10.5.8 - and I'm finding it more stable and greater 'teh snappy'. 10.5.6 is pretty damn stable so far.

I also notice a big improvement in speed when compressing a video on my iMac (ATI Graphics card + Intel 2.6Ghz etc 20inch).

Snow Leopard is going to be an interesting development - IMHO it will be the operating system that'll pull in even the most zealot of zealot Windows users :D

I don't think there are any Windows zealots. They have less reason to be one. ;)

I had high hopes this would finally fix the "Black Screen of Death" on the new MacBook Pro but it hasn't, I still get it...especially when gaming, its impossible to play any game for longer than 15 min or so without the Notebook getting a BSOD. Not to mention the fact that my screen still has the uneven LED screen lighting issue even after swapping out for a 3rd unit.

I hate having rev-A Apple products, I feel like a beta hardware tester...I also had the rev-A of the original MacBook Pro that came with all the buzzing, screen flickering and battery issues. Apple did have recalls on all of the stuff mentioned but I had to go through all the trouble of sending it and waiting, on 3 separate occasions.

I don't think there are any Windows zealots. They have less reason to be one. ;)

Oh yes there are - one only needs to go on battlefront on arstechnica and the number of Windows users who either lie, restort to old Mac issues (Mac OS 9 days) or make up fictional complaints to justify their purchase.

The latest one on the battlefront? A convert to Mac OS X whinging about how an inactive button doesn't scream out at the end user like it does on Windows.

Believe me, they exist - and its pathetic. They're almost as irritating as those Mac or *NIX users who complain about Microsoft copying.

Well, it isn't surprising. The tone of your post suggests that it should have worked. Updates are never guaranteed to work on unauthorized hardware, especially if they are kernel-level updates.

Anyway, I believe you'll need to wait for a patched version of the update or something. I'm sure you know that you'll need to look to the osx86 community for that.

I wasnt shocked when i stated it. i wasnt asking for any warranties. just thought post a update here if any fellow OSx86 users hover here.

I am already on insanelymac forum which is going million mph and trying to keep up with that. obviously will get solution there and post here for "fellow" hackintosh users.

There are Windows zealots. But there are so many more Windows users than there are Mac users, making them harder to spot. What's easier to find? A zealot in a crowd or 25 million or a zealot in a crowd of more than a billion?

Nah, there definately are a bunch of Windows zealots :p

Anyway. Thumbs up for the update. Downloaded and installed on my MacBook unibody and on my iMac. No issues so far, it's solid rock!

I am eager to see what Snow Leopard has in it now... I mean, really.